Trying to balayage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusick

Reaction score
i have done balayage before but this scenario is different and im lost... my mother in law has grey almost white roots, and she has been using boxed color -_- so her base is a 4 now and has a lot of red hues... i want her base to be a 5 and lighten to a 7 at the ends. What i am confused with is what to do first and can i even do it all in one session... this is what i was thinking, place 5N with 20v on roots and then powder lightener with 10v on midlengths and finallys use the lightener with a 20 for the ends and highlights. Process, rinse and then go over it all with a demi 8N with a cool additive and 10v. Im using clairl from sally beauty. Does that makes sense? Ive tried to think of all the different ways that might work but this is way diff than im used to.. thanks in advance

Regardless of what you do, please use colour remover before hand on the box dyed hair to remove ANY dye from the hair, it will prevent any 'nasty surprises' during your process, bleaching out box dye is very different to bleaching out professional colour... VERY DIFFERENT RESULTS, it'll make the process much smoother for you too because then all you'd have to do is go over with your base colour with a professional range then do your balayage and tone, much less hassle for you then. Honestly wouldn't try and work around/with the box colour as a base to begin with, i'd much prefer removing it so you can use her hair as a blank canvas and put your level 5 colour then on the grey/roots or wherever you want that placed, then using bleach do the balayage part and tone to finish off,

I'd start by colour remover all over first anyway, do that twice because you have to do it twice to remove all molecules and to stop it from re-oxidizing, then when that's all removed you should be left with her natural hair (box dye uses peroxide as you know so obviously it's not virgin hair and is probably lighter than it is naturally, but you'll be left with somewhat of a blank-er canvas.

I'm not sure if you can colour straight after colour remover, so check the manufacturers instructions, and follow it accordingly. you may need to wait, but with modern day ones should be able to start immediately after, if not i'd look for a better colour remover, they're less damaging, that Pravana colour remover thing is supposed to be good *i forget the name, but i know its available in the US and its a 2 step thing, it doesn't lift hair either, just removes artificial dye

Then I'd begin by doing your base colour and then your balayage, personally i like to do them separately as in do one, wash off, dry then do the other, but if you want to do them both in one process you certainly can!

then finally tone it, hope I've offered you help!

You are making a lot of hard work for yourself to just lift one shade. i would mix together a 4 and a 5, take that to where you want the dark, then go in with lightner at the ends.

do a strand test to make sure it lifts first x

I would personally use a colour remover/reducer first :)

I'd leave her at a 4! Soon as you put bleach balyage up against it it'll look lighter anyway!

Thanks for all the advice

You are making a lot of hard work for yourself to just lift one shade. i would mix together a 4 and a 5, take that to where you want the dark, then go in with lightner at the ends.

do a strand test to make sure it lifts first x
Your saying a 4 and 5 for the roots and midlengths

I'd leave her at a 4! Soon as you put bleach balyage up against it it'll look lighter anyway!
I considered that, i guess i am just worried it would look to different, because she wants it to look lighter but be subtle

Regardless of what you do, please use colour remover before hand on the box dyed hair to remove ANY dye from the hair, it will prevent any 'nasty surprises' during your process, bleaching out box dye is very different to bleaching out professional colour... VERY DIFFERENT RESULTS, it'll make the process much smoother for you too because then all you'd have to do is go over with your base colour with a professional range then do your balayage and tone, much less hassle for you then. Honestly wouldn't try and work around/with the box colour as a base to begin with, i'd much prefer removing it so you can use her hair as a blank canvas and put your level 5 colour then on the grey/roots or wherever you want that placed, then using bleach do the balayage part and tone to finish off,

I'd start by colour remover all over first anyway, do that twice because you have to do it twice to remove all molecules and to stop it from re-oxidizing, then when that's all removed you should be left with her natural hair (box dye uses peroxide as you know so obviously it's not virgin hair and is probably lighter than it is naturally, but you'll be left with somewhat of a blank-er canvas.

I'm not sure if you can colour straight after colour remover, so check the manufacturers instructions, and follow it accordingly. you may need to wait, but with modern day ones should be able to start immediately after, if not i'd look for a better colour remover, they're less damaging, that Pravana colour remover thing is supposed to be good *i forget the name, but i know its available in the US and its a 2 step thing, it doesn't lift hair either, just removes artificial dye

Then I'd begin by doing your base colour and then your balayage, personally i like to do them separately as in do one, wash off, dry then do the other, but if you want to do them both in one process you certainly can!

then finally tone it, hope I've offered you help!
Your advice is so helpful and makes complete sense, thanks for your time and elaborated response

yeah use a 4 and 5 together will be a tiny bit lighter than a 4, but youre gonna create so much work for yourself bleaching out the mid lengths to then re colour them.

If you've never done a balyage like this before, trust me you'd do all the colour removing etc then at the end think dam those roots could do with going a shade darker, honest :) leave it at a 4 or do what Jamie said and mix 4 & 5

yeah use a 4 and 5 together will be a tiny bit lighter than a 4, but youre gonna create so much work for yourself bleaching out the mid lengths to then re colour them.
why would she bleach the mid lengths to recolour? no need for bleach, just colour remover/reducer?

Perfect example here, just saw this on Facebook :) see how dark the root is

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 25
Wait? is she a natural level 4 or is that because of the box dye? if she's naturally a level 4 you will need to lift her then, but if it's from dye then remove it, and i'm guessing if it's from the dye her hair is naturally lighter than a 4 anyway

The op stated the client is nearly white root with a level 4 tint elsewhere please read the original post before offering advice

I do not think you'll need to bleach her length, just for the balayage ombre part, no need to lift her mid lengths given if the box dye is darker than her natural colour, if so just remove the colour with colour remover and then tone to the desired level if she's brassy/too light

if she's white underneath you still don't need to bleach the length.... just colour remover then colour it.

Who cares what the mid length is she's balayaging

The op stated the client is nearly white root with a level 4 tint elsewhere please read the original post before offering advice
I read the post, i just got confused for a second, bur corrected anyway, regardless no need to bleach mid lengths

Daniel I don't think you understand. Maybe this is a bit too advanced for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back