Trying to get rid of this red

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicnic00

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope someone can help.

I’m a hairdressing student but don’t start colouring hair until after the summer.

I had my hair dyed red with magma, hated it so they toned it down a bit with Wells koleston. I still hated it and so a month later I tried to cover with Wella 5/1 which was still too red. I’ve then put 5/2 over it 2 days ago hoping more green tones will help neutralise the red but it’s now a black/purple.

Looking for advice on the next steps I can take to try get back to my natural medium brown. Was thinking of L’Oréal colour remover then going over it with a wella medium brown?

Any advice would be so much appreciated.

STOP COLOURING IT! :eek::D

We’ve all been there and getting access to the proverbial sweetie shop is a huge temptation. We’re either playing around with the tint boxes ourselves or ending up as guinea pigs for our student buddies. Unfortunately, it sounds like you’ve been too accommodating but you really need to give your hair a rest otherwise you’ll be one of those students who starts the next year with lots of breakage from chemical overload.

Recolouring the same section will eventually lead to the cuticle layer degrading and your hair will start snapping. Unless you’ve got a very short pixie cut already, you need to start behaving more kindly towards your hair. It will also become heavily saturated with colour because those existing artificial red colour molecules haven’t left the building. They’re still in your hair.

Are you talking about using Effasol? It isn’t a very reliable colour removing product and will probably lead to further damage. As you’ve been using oxidised colours, you could consider using a colour reducer but this is something that is usually taught at level 3 or level 4 so it might be sensible to ask a qualified colleague to help you out.

STOP COLOURING IT! :eek::D

We’ve all been there and getting access to the proverbial sweetie shop is a huge temptation. We’re either playing around with the tint boxes ourselves or ending up as guinea pigs for our student buddies. Unfortunately, it sounds like you’ve been too accommodating but you really need to give your hair a rest otherwise you’ll be one of those students who starts the next year with lots of breakage from chemical overload.

Recolouring the same section will eventually lead to the cuticle layer degrading and your hair will start snapping. Unless you’ve got a very short pixie cut already, you need to start behaving more kindly towards your hair. It will also become heavily saturated with colour because those existing artificial red colour molecules haven’t left the building. They’re still in your hair.

Are you talking about using Effasol? It isn’t a very reliable colour removing product and will probably lead to further damage. As you’ve been using oxidised colours, you could consider using a colour reducer but this is something that is usually taught at level 3 or level 4 so it might be sensible to ask a qualified colleague to help you out.

Thank you for the reply and advice.
I’ve spoke to someone who previously done my hair prior to being at college and she said because of the magma there may not be much I can do to it now but I have a consultation next week to see if there’s anything at all that can be done to lighten it however I doubt it.

My hair is fine but it is, or at least was healthy before all this colouring. I’m going to just leave it and have regular trims until the colour is out as I want to keep my hair

Latest posts

Back