Two Day Nail Courses...your Opinion!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like anything in life...you may be trained to do a job but unless you have experience to back it up then you are not a professional.

To my mind a professional has the paper qualifications and the experience to go with it...but also and more importantly the good grace to admit that in life you can never know everything and thus we are all traing and learning all the time.

So do your 2 day course, but dont expect to be a "professional" overnight as it don't happen that way...and much the same for NVQ students too...the minute you have that certificate in your hand it does not make you a professional...experience counts for a lot!!!

For example you may be 17 and just passed your driving test...but you are not a competant or experienced or even particularly safe driver until you have a good deal of experience behind you and this is much the same!!!
In my opinion!!! :)

well said.A bit like being a mum i guess.i know i'll make a better job of it second time round.Personally i haven't ever done a short course because i quite simply am thick....tell me something three times i'll get it...tell me once..uh??

I love my one to ones best.Picking the brains of the best nail techs out there.

wondernail said:
Like anything in life...you may be trained to do a job but unless you have experience to back it up then you are not a professional.

To my mind a professional has the paper qualifications and the experience to go with it...but also and more importantly the good grace to admit that in life you can never know everything and thus we are all traing and learning all the time.

So do your 2 day course, but dont expect to be a "professional" overnight as it don't happen that way...and much the same for NVQ students too...the minute you have that certificate in your hand it does not make you a professional...experience counts for a lot!!!

For example you may be 17 and just passed your driving test...but you are not a competant or experienced or even particularly safe driver until you have a good deal of experience behind you and this is much the same!!!
In my opinion!!! :)
do you know i thought of this the other day when course times were put up.. these 5 day courses for driving is alot worse that a 2 day course for nails (god doning that putting words down wrong thing again) they have an engine speed and metal and can kill with little experiance but call themselves qualified I,m not saying that someones hands are less inportant cos to me they are (ohhhh god how do i put this with out sounding wrong or get a bad rep.) but i can,t kill someone (ooohhh there said it) and as long as the person knows i,m new at this game so not to expect miracales is that wrong... please don,t add any #[*%£ words i was having a good day lol

Oh my god!!!driving in five days!!instant death.never thought about that.But listen to this...someone once offered me a driving licence for £600.They had a mate that works for the dvla.Obivously i turned it down but makes you think...next time you have a prang in your car...!!!???

louisenewell said:
Oh my god!!!driving in five days!!instant death.never thought about that.But listen to this...someone once offered me a driving licence for £600.They had a mate that works for the dvla.Obivously i turned it down but makes you think...next time you have a prang in your car...!!!???
That comments ok.. you did not scream and shout at me... thats a good sign ... lol and yes you can learn to drive in 5 days no wonder there are soo many deaths on the roads..

That is the culture we now live in...no matter how patient you think you are, we are all very impatient as this is how our society is.

We all expect our banks to answer the phone immediately, we all expect Tesco to be open 24 hrs and sell everything we want, we expect 24hr everything....and now we expect to be able to do courses in just a few days and become professionals overnight, and make our fortune!!!

I use to work for Learn Direct and the calls I used to get from the public asking where they can do quick intensive courses was no ones business.

If you think you have got problems worrying about techs who train in 2 days, get a load of this...I had a lady call up asking where she should do a quick short course in Midwifery!!! And she wanted to learn from home!!

People think they can become experts over night!!!!
So Ladies if you are pregnant at the mo...make sure your midwife didn't train at home!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have just booked my daughter in for a 5 days driving course on the 12th september Monday.

She had had 18 to 20 driving lessons maybe a few more.

I am quite happy with this I know a few people that have done this one is my hubby a lot of years ago through the Army.

I think once again if it is done in the right way my daughter has had lessons also if she passes and gets a car she will only be doing short journeys to gain more experiance.

Caz xxx

HappyHands said:
That comments ok.. you did not scream and shout at me... thats a good sign ... lol and yes you can learn to drive in 5 days no wonder there are soo many deaths on the roads..

caz3 said:
I have just booked my daughter in for a 5 days driving course on the 12th september Monday.

She had had 18 to 20 driving lessons maybe a few more.

I am quite happy with this I know a few people that have done this one is my hubby a lot of years ago through the Army.

I think once again if it is done in the right way my daughter has had lessons also if she passes and gets a car she will only be doing short journeys to gain more experiance.

Caz xxx
oooppps sorry i did not mean it like that... what i meant were the people that never have any lessons then do the course..( i told everyone i had big feet and an even bigger gop..:irked: sooorrryyyy)

Oh you are ok love not to worry I know what you mean :) .

Take care
Caz xxx

PS I will let you know how she gets on maybe if she passes she can take you for a drive LOL!!!!!

Caz xxx

HappyHands said:
oooppps sorry i did not mean it like that... what i meant were the people that never have any lessons then do the course..( i told everyone i had big feet and an even bigger gop..:irked: sooorrryyyy)

I paid £600 for a five day course, which covered the basics. I felt ripped off as I was expecting to learn a lot more, especially due to the description of the course and from what I was told over the phone:(
There were also 12 of us in the class and one tutor which certainly wasn't enough. I then had to pay more for my NVQ and exams.
I felt lost after completing the course and was no where near happy calling myself a nail tech.
I had originally chosen this course as I wasn't aware of Creative, Ez Flow etc I would have certainly chosen this route had I known (couldn't find them listed under search engines on google)
Since then Ive been practicing and found The Nail Geek, which I can say is where Ive learned soooo much from everyone, thank you people.
Ive now also joined Cuticles who are fantastic with their support and start my Creative training this month (whoo hoo):biggrin:
But hey I believe everything happens for a reason so heres to me putting my money somewhere well invested

i think that nail education is lifelong, some people start out not having a clue and take longer to 'pick it up', others soak up the training like sponges.
if any nail technician is to take their profession seriously then they need to look at future education.
I trained initially in manicure years ago in college, did a Backscratchers course, decided to convert to Fabric# this February and learnt more about my chosen career doing the conversion than at any other point.
The Geek site has helped me make some choices and also helped me overcome some niggling problems.
I will be doing more training as soon as time allows it, more 1-2-1 classes and want to be a Master Technician at some point.
We are all in charge of our own destiny and our own education.
If people think that doing a 2 day course makes them a good enough technician to open a salon then more fool them.

you had the guts to say what i didn't.well done.completely agree.i worked in a salon where the owner brought a building to convert into a sunbed/nail studio.When she had problems trying to sell it and problems with staff she went and done a two day nail course.she refused to put my 14 certficates on her wall(not that i'm blowing my own horn here,i'm not!!)and left them on the floor behind reception-if your reading this you know who you are!!!you crack me up love!!-think she done one creative conversion and her attuide is now that she doesn't think she needs anymore training...and she used to laugh when i told her i'd been on here...because she knows better then all of us.

sorry..finished my bitching now!!lol!!

Hi All, I was at college with Louise and loved every minute of it, lookin back, we didn't get the best education due to the fact that the lecturer was a bit like Dorothy....somewhere over the rainbow...lol, but at the time we didn't know better and how are you supposed to know what's right and wrong when you are new to the Industry. If you have the passion for what you love doing then it's down to the individual to better themselves and continue their education. I do feel that the colleges that are offering NVQ courses should have their lecturers made to update their education as the Industry is changing all the time.

David

Jaydee said:
Hi All, I was at college with Louise and loved every minute of it, lookin back, we didn't get the best education due to the fact that the lecturer was a bit like Dorothy....somewhere over the rainbow...lol, but at the time we didn't know better and how are you supposed to know what's right and wrong when you are new to the Industry. If you have the passion for what you love doing then it's down to the individual to better themselves and continue their education. I do feel that the colleges that are offering NVQ courses should have their lecturers made to update their education as the Industry is changing all the time.

David

Darling you just loved every minute of college as you got to spend all that time with me!!!"over the rainbow.."you could say that!

Jaydee said:
the lecturer was a bit like Dorothy..

bet you tried to nick her ruby red slippers though!!

Oh sassy...if only you knew!!!If i was having a argument with her i was p*****g myself laughing at her.She just wasn't interested in nails.surely it makes more sense to have a nail tech teach nails!!???

Of course Sass, I let her keep the dress though....gingham is just so not me.xx
Sassy Hassy said:
bet you tried to nick her ruby red slippers though!!

"With further experience and education, the good ones pop out at the top! the bad ones ... disappear in the cloud of dust that those ahead of them are making. I never worry about the bad ones ... they are not around long enough to worry about. Don't waste your energy and forget them."

I will try and remember this when ANOTHER nail technician is setting up near me...EXCELLENT QUOTE,x

oh please don,t be picking on me, i never said i was a pro , infact i said that i needed more training but i also needed experiance, how am i ever going to get experiance unless i have the help of a few more hands and a few more teachers, you all seem to make it sound as if i have done the biggest cardinal sin, I admit that i don,t count for everyone that has done a 2 day course but as i am the only one on this thread and it seems to me as if i am the only one you are picking on..:sad:

Liz I don't think anyone's picking on you, I think you may be a bit over sensitive. You can't expect everyone to agree with you when you post, and I guess you don't agree with everyone else.

Chill babe :hug:

Latest posts

Back