Unemployment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyBritten

Reaction score
Hey,
I really need all the advice i can get!
I was 'let go' from my job 10 days ago and I'm really struggling to find a job, i have been to some interviews but they are all really inconvenient for me. I have applied for jobs advertised, gone around salons asking and emailed every salon within the radius I'm willing to travel.
What else can i do??
Am i having no luck because of the time of year??
Heeelp! Xx

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have to travel a bit further for a while. I know that isnt the best answer but sometimes needs must. X

Im going as far as i can 25 miles from my house. Anything more would be a waste of my time :(

Hey,
I really need all the advice i can get!
I was 'let go' from my job 10 days ago and I'm really struggling to find a job, i have been to some interviews but they are all really inconvenient for me. I have applied for jobs advertised, gone around salons asking and emailed every salon within the radius I'm willing to travel.
What else can i do??
Am i having no luck because of the time of year??
Heeelp! Xx

I'm sorry to hear you have lost your job especially at this time of year .....you say you have been to interviews but they are inconvenient ...in what way are they inconvenient ? Unfortunately in life sometimes we have to do what we don't want to do in order to progress and I believe it's easier to find a job when you've already got a job...I don't know your personal situation so not sure if you live at home are solely responsible for bills etc but I know when I lost my job I did whatever I could to provide for my son I didn't want to clean houses but did ...I worked in a supermarket and did ann summers parties in the evening all of which I hated and didn't want to do but it was a means to an end....I understand it's hard especially when we are trained in something we love doing and can't find work in that field but it's a hard world out there and I would say sometimes we can't afford to be choosy ....my advice would be take what you can this shows determination and whilst it may be something you don't want to do it will allow you to earn some money whilst you are looking for something that you want to do.....don't lose hope it's only been ten days I know that's easier said than done but you will find something ....I couldn't find anything in your profile to say what you do but if it's hair or beauty etc why not take this chance and do mobile?...I set up my mobile business with £35 ...it was hard work and I used to buy products on an as and when basis not ideal but my business is still going strong 7 years later....good luck ....persevere and I hope you find something soon x

Sorry just realised I've written war and peace 😳

Thank you :)
To answer some of your questions I'm a beauty therapist (have been for 4 1/2 years) im a single parent to a six year old and still live at home (i do pay bills) 1. Job was self employed and i would have to pay them £600 a month in a salon that has only been open 3 weeks. 2. A spa, i got hypo-mobility and tendinitis so going back to a spa and doing the heavy massage load will injure me more. 3. A salon that isn't up to scratch with h&s in my opinion and would only be 7hrs a week.
I see what you mean by taking another job for the mean time but i have only ever been in beauty and know nothing else x

I did mobile for a while and found it a right pain, in my area girls are running around doing treatments for £5 so i couldn't compare to that x

To answer some of your questions I'm a beauty therapist (have been for 4 1/2 years) im a single parent to a six year old and still live at home (i do pay bills) 1. Job was self employed and i would have to pay them £600 a month in a salon that has only been open 3 weeks. 2. A spa, i got hypo-mobility and tendinitis so going back to a spa and doing the heavy massage load will injure me more. 3. A salon that isn't up to scratch with h&s in my opinion and would only be 7hrs a week.
I see what you mean by taking another job for the mean time but i have only ever been in beauty and know nothing else x

As I said in my last post I do understand darling ....when you've trained and love what you do it's hard to see beyond that but bare in mind it won't be forever ....you say you know nothing else but you have lots of skills....think about all the skills you have as a beauty therapist and a lot of them can be transferred to other job roles such as social skills communication skills time management etc ....these are all important skills that you have and will help you in most job roles ....remember it's a means to an end x

How are the interviews "inconvenient"?

I did mobile for a while and found it a right pain, in my area girls are running around doing treatments for £5 so i couldn't compare to that x

Sorry I feel I'm taking up this whole thread ...in response to the above ....yes mobile can be a right pain it's hard work BUT it earns you money!......let them run around doing £5 treatments you have no need to compare or compete ....if everyone shopped in primark there would be no need for the likes of river island for example but not everyone wants cheap crap some want quality ( I do shop in primark before I offend anyone lol) ...you have to believe in yourself and put your prices at what you need them to be ...I have a therapist that lives two doors away from me ...my prices are double hers and still I have more work ...it's all about reputation ...but you have to be passionate and really want it for it to work x

What here?

Ah I see, unsuitable would be a better term I would have got that lol,

to the op,

You could advertise that your looking for work or room rental on the local buy & sell pages on Facebook also twitter is very good for networking, what area do you live in maybe some geeks on here are looking to hire or rent out space

I suppose looking at it from that point of view is different, ill start applying for other jobs for the mean time.
I may consider doing mobile on the side if i get a job out of the industry.

Thank you i shall try social media, im from ashford kent (south east)

Look in the recruitment area on this site see if there's anything near you too :)

You should look at your personal skills tho defo, I get told all the time I should work in different industries because of the way I handle different situations (in a good way lol!)

I've just had a quick google search for you and there's lots of beauty therapist jobs on job sites such as "indeed" and "job manji"etc that are in your area they are also advertising for a beauty advisor in boots Ashford maybe worth a cv drop :)

Oooo i didnt know that!
Thank you so much!! :) x

why dont you try call centres? they can be awful but decent money, easy to get into and they are always looking for new staff... even if its just for a month or two, better than nothing :) x

I wonder if in the meantime you can reach out to friends and family briefly explain your situation and offer some really good prices to do their hair or make-up for new years eve for example. Also I think people often reflect over Christmas and in the new year with what they want to do for the next year - so you will likely see more openings for jobs come up.

Latest posts

Back