Unhappy client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate Berry

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been around here a while reading threads, but this is my first post

i'm a freelance stylist and I had a horrible experience today with a client. She was booked in for 10:30/ 11:00 (depending on how long my previous cient took) for balayage and a cut. She messaged me this morning at 9:00 asking if i could come any earlier, but i couldn't because of my clients in beforehand. I turn up up hers for 10:40, start getting my stuff out and she informs me she has a person from her work coming to the house for a meeting at 1:30, so we needed to be done by then. I usually like to take around 4 hours for the whole balayage/ tone/ cut and finish process, so this was pushing it slightly. In hindsight i should have refused to do it that day and agreed to come back another day, but sometimes i find it difficult to be upfront with peope, i also think she wouldn't have been happy with this anyway.

i done the balayage and it was lifting up pretty well, I usually give my balayages around 50 mins development time (wella freelights bleach) as we were so pushed for time i felt i could only give it 30, and it appeared to have lifted so we went and washed it off.

To cut and long story short, it wasn't as blonde as we wanted and after drying it off, i was straight away not happy with the results. As i'd been under under pressure i'd been rushing and obviously my technique was not as good (i've done loads of balayages before and always been happy with them) it was just not blended enough and not light enough. When we were done (slightly past 1:30, but the person from her work was late luckily) she had a look in the miror and said it wasn't light enough. I agreed with her, explained the reason and she was fine about it. She apologised repeatedly for making me rush so much (i couldn't even straighten and finish her hair properly as she was so keen for us to be done) i said to her to message me later as i had to leave in a hurry, and i would be happy to come back and do it again for her. It wasn't even that bad, a few more balayage pieces would have lightened it up and blended it just fine, she seemed happy with this suggestion and even said to me 'don't worry, it's my fault for rushing you'

later on, i check my phone and have a message from her saying she is not happy, it's not what she asked for and this is unacceptable, i couldn't believe what i was reading considering i already knew it didn't go quite how we wanted. She is refusing for me to come back to fix it, i've tried several times to talk her round. But then she says 'This colour is not worth the £50 i paid for it' but is unwilling to let me fix it. She even started saying to me how long she thinks it should have taken, when she knows absolutely nothing about hair. She has now blocked me on facebook when i'm only trying to help, i also tried to call her and she won't answer. I'm feeling so bad about the whole thing, I just know it wouldn't have been like this if she hadn't rushed me.

Have any of you guys had any bad experieneces? and what did you do to rectify it?

U can't do any more than what you have done, some people are just not nice....

U can't do any more than what you have done, some people are just not nice....
i guess i just take everything so personally as well :( i find it hard not to.

Learn from your mistakes in future don't rush yourself, chin up mate :)

We've all experienced clients like this from time to time. Best thing you can do is not take it to heart. I know it's difficult not to, but sometimes you come across these clients who are generally not nice people!
At the end of the day she rushed you into performing a service that does need that extra time for application and development, therefore she has no one to blame but herself.
Maybe in future if a client gives you a short timescale for you to do there hair either offer them to just have a cut/blow dry that day and rearrange the colour for another day when they have more time!
Rushing never gets good results.

We've all experienced clients like this from time to time. Best thing you can do is not take it to heart. I know it's difficult not to, but sometimes you come across these clients who are generally not nice people!
At the end of the day she rushed you into performing a service that does need that extra time for application and development, therefore she has no one to blame but herself.
Maybe in future if a client gives you a short timescale for you to do there hair either offer them to just have a cut/blow dry that day and rearrange the colour for another day when they have more time!
Rushing never gets good results.
Thanks for your reply. I've been really down about so hearing it from someone else is making me feel better about the whole think, I just hope she won't bad mouth me,

The important lesson here is to learn to say 'No'.

When the client first said that she wanted you to complete the service in a shorter time scale, you should have remained confident and firmly stated that it wouldn't be possible to do everything she wanted in a reduced timescale.

You then give her the choice of moving her other appointment or accepting a different service to the one originally booked.

Imagine if she went to her dentist and told him, I've chosen to book myself another engagement after making this appointment and I now want you to complete this tooth extraction in less time than you have advised.

They'd laugh her out of the surgery.

Your time is money. You are not their personal employee to boss about. You are your own boss here.

Stop being a people pleaser and become a professional businesswoman!

You can do it! :)

The important lesson here is to learn to say 'No'.

When the client first said that she wanted you to complete the service in a shorter time scale, you should have remained confident and firmly stated that it wouldn't be possible to do everything she wanted in a reduced timescale.

You then give her the choice of moving her other appointment or accepting a different service to the one originally booked.

Imagine if she went to her dentist and told him, I've chosen to book myself another engagement after making this appointment and I now want you to complete this tooth extraction in less time than you have advised.

They'd laugh her out of the surgery.

Your time is money. You are not their personal employee to boss about. You are your own boss here.

Stop being a people pleaser and become a professional businesswoman!

You can do it! :)

Thanks for the reply :) I've definitely learnt a lesson from this experience, I'm feeling alot better about the whole thing now.

Just curious, is 2hrs 50 mins really a rush?! I personally wouldn't have expected this to have taken more than 2.5/3 hours so I don't necessarily think the client has rushed you - I think you rushed yourself as you didn't want to say no. I don't mean this rudely, just how I would think as a client... I'm a nail tech, not hair dresser.

However, she should definitely let you rectify this... Under no circumstances would I give any money back if that's her next plan. :)

Just curious, is 2hrs 50 mins really a rush?! I personally wouldn't have expected this to have taken more than 2.5/3 hours so I don't necessarily think the client has rushed you - I think you rushed yourself as you didn't want to say no. I don't mean this rudely, just how I would think as a client... I'm a nail tech, not hair dresser.

However, she should definitely let you rectify this... Under no circumstances would I give any money back if that's her next plan. :)

all the balayages i've done previously take me 4 hours for the whole service, including cut and finish, as processing is like an hour on it's own, so she did definitely rush me. I've heard nothing since she blocked me so i guess that it's, without letting me fix it i'm not quite sure what she expected me to to do =/

Just read this and even though I'm not hair (I'm a beauty therapist). The best way to think about things like this is just imagine what must be going on in her life to be like this to you, it's not your fault, you sound like (and I'm sure you are) a good, considerate person-don't let one person knock your confidence.
X

Just read this and even though I'm not hair (I'm a beauty therapist). The best way to think about things like this is just imagine what must be going on in her life to be like this to you, it's not your fault, you sound like (and I'm sure you are) a good, considerate person-don't let one person knock your confidence.
X
Thanks for the reply. Yeah this is a good point. The only thing that bothers me is that she's walking around with work that i'm not happy with and can't do anything to rectify =/

all the balayages i've done previously take me 4 hours for the whole service, including cut and finish, as processing is like an hour on it's own, so she did definitely rush me. I've heard nothing since she blocked me so i guess that it's, without letting me fix it i'm not quite sure what she expected me to to do =/
Her loss then, she may well have deactivated and have more going on in her life.. You can't win with some people :(

Thanks for the reply. Yeah this is a good point. The only thing that bothers me is that she's walking around with work that i'm not happy with and can't do anything to rectify =/
Some things we can't control and none of us are perfect, after all we are only human! If it makes you feel any better I have made some FAR worst mistakes in my time, but you have to forgive yourself (even if the client doesn;t :p) and move on! In a months time this will be a distant memory!

Some things we can't control and none of us are perfect, after all we are only human! If it makes you feel any better I have made some FAR worst mistakes in my time, but you have to forgive yourself (even if the client doesn;t :p) and move on! In a months time this will be a distant memory!

Thanks for this. I've pretty much washed my hands of the situation now, you can't please everyone.

she said not to worry about it, then she changed her mind, its no dif from someone going dark then changing their mind its done i would leave it at that and explain that she was ok with the work when you left and you did the best with the time she gave you, if she want another lot she would have to pay again

Omg! I done this last Thursday as well! I got a message the next day saying not light enough (although the colour she got was lighter than the pic she agreed on) I advised that I can definitely colour it agin but a week or so after to ensure her hair has repaired from the colour she had previously had on! She then said she was happy and that she was just in a mood. I said just let the toner fade naturally and she will find it lighter anyway, but if she did find after 1 week or so that it wasn't right to ring me. I then went on Instagram and saw she had posted "can't believe how much I love my hair" so I was so happy and relieved! This relief ended today when I got another message saying she wanted a refund and won't let me rectify the colour, when I asked for a pic, it looks like she has coloured it herself and it looks a total different colour, and now blaming me. I don't offer refunds and I have offered to rectify and she won't let me. She's saying she's going to take legal action for £55! I'm going to get a test piece to take to the colour company To get advice on what they think. But what else can I do? I am so upset because I know that it looked really nice!

Omg! I done this last Thursday as well! I got a message the next day saying not light enough (although the colour she got was lighter than the pic she agreed on) I advised that I can definitely colour it agin but a week or so after to ensure her hair has repaired from the colour she had previously had on! She then said she was happy and that she was just in a mood. I said just let the toner fade naturally and she will find it lighter anyway, but if she did find after 1 week or so that it wasn't right to ring me. I then went on Instagram and saw she had posted "can't believe how much I love my hair" so I was so happy and relieved! This relief ended today when I got another message saying she wanted a refund and won't let me rectify the colour, when I asked for a pic, it looks like she has coloured it herself and it looks a total different colour, and now blaming me. I don't offer refunds and I have offered to rectify and she won't let me. She's saying she's going to take legal action for £55! I'm going to get a test piece to take to the colour company To get advice on what they think. But what else can I do? I am so upset because I know that it looked really nice!
If she's coloured it herself I wouldn't be rectifying anything. I hope you screen shot her Instagram so you have a picture firstly of what the hair was like but secondly to show that she actually liked it.

Whatever you do, don't fix, refund or delete any messages between yourselves as these will be evidence if and when it's needed.

I know I'm in the right but it's never ending she will not leave me alone! Once I have sought advice from he retailer I am going to say no refund and leave it at that but I know she will get aggressive. Shall I block her off social media once I have sought expert advice ? Thank youuu x

Just tell her that you won't be refunding as she was clearly happy with colour originally.

Also, point out that if she's re-coloured it since, a strand test can easily prove that and you would be entitled to take one if she wants to waste her money going to court.

Latest posts

Back