Unhappy with client's Shellac colour choice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlt

Reaction score
I've just had a client who chose wildfire layered with iced coral. The Wildfire applied beautifully as always but I wasn't happy with the result when iced coral was layered over. She was happy with them however I didn't like it, I think ultimately it was the clients colour choice I struggled with. I told her I wasn't 100% happy and offered her a discount, she was however happy to pay in full but I insisted :( I pride myself on being happy with my work and I just wondered how you all handle these situations. I have attached a pic so you can see the result. Thanks ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1393335244.744568.jpg

Everybody has different tastes so what was a gorgeous desired effect for her just wasn't for you. As long as it was a clean neat application, that was done properly. I wouldn't worry. :)

I've had a client go for this same combo, she was an archeologist and described the colour as "looks just like raw flesh" lol
Not my taste at all but she loved them..
I would never have offered a discount just because I didn't like what colours my clients chose, and boy I've done some corkers ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'd never give a client discount because I wasn't happy with their colour choice, its all subjective. If she was happy why would you put the thought into her head that 1) the colour wasn't nice, 2) her choice wasn't good & 3) you weren't happy with your work.

Everyone sees colour differently, some clients make gastly choices in my opinion but who am I to say!

Karaxxx

I think in situations like this it's always best to carry out a full consultation prior to application as you can discuss your clients colour choice, and possibly think of an alternative if you're convinced that the finished look won't be aesthetically pleasing.

However, once the nails are done and you've applied your Shellac beautifully, there's not really a lot you can do, definitely don't tell the client that you're not pleased with the nails as that just opens up a whole new can of worms! Imagine if she decided to go with your discount? Or in a few days time she decides that she doesn't like the colour either and now she wants them changed for free? Or she has terrible confidence and doesn't want to tell you that she now dislikes the colour too, but she's too embarrassed to tell you, so she doesn't ever come back?

I that these are a bit far fetched, but worth thinking about.

Anyhoo, at least she loved them x

I always guide my clients with colour if I feel it won't suit their skin tone but ultimately it's their decision and I will do whatever they want me to with colour and design. I've done plenty that I've not liked but clients have been over the moon with. We are all different and one person may adore a colour that someone else thinks is hideous.

Although you personally didn't like it she expressed that she did so I wouldn't have forced a discount ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've had a client go for this same combo, she was an archeologist and described the colour as "looks just like raw flesh"

:eek: that's a bit creepy....makes ya wonder what's in some people's minds, yikes. Lol

I like it :)

If I was getting a treatment done I like the therapist to offer an honest opinion but on the other hand I don't like to be made to feel that there's a right and a wrong look for me because that's my business. My point is that as long as your work is technically sound then just roll with it :)

If your client was happy with the colour, why would you try and convince her otherwise and try and talk yourself out of money?

I can understand being a perfectionist, but i personally am not a fan of neutral colours. If a client picks one, yet my application is perfect, i'm not going to give them a discount. Even if my client chooses a colour, i do the entire manicure and they decide right at the end they don't like the colour...no discount.

You don't want to set your clients up to expect that they can pay less than your set price xx

I would just say no. I'm bossy to my clients but it works and they always leave more than happy. Most clients let me choose their colours. I had a lady the other day ask me for white nails, I simply said no choose another colour. She seemed shocked and said why, I told her quiet simply I don't like them. She left with yellow & glitter. She absolutely loved them. I have another client that always wants red and my reply is always no pick another colour! They find it funny xx

I would just say no. I'm bossy to my clients but it works and they always leave more than happy. Most clients let me choose their colours. I had a lady the other day ask me for white nails, I simply said no choose another colour. She seemed shocked and said why, I told her quiet simply I don't like them. She left with yellow & glitter. She absolutely loved them. I have another client that always wants red and my reply is always no pick another colour! They find it funny xx

I have to say I find this terrible.. Why would you force your opinion on a paying client?
They come to us to be pampered and they have a vision, a choice of colour/style/design, not be dictated to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

:eek: I'm glad that works for you but I just couldn't do that, if they asked my opinion then, within reason, I'd tell them what I think but usually I just gauge whether they want an affirmation or an out and out opinion. Diplomacy is my middle name lol. After all they're the ones paying me!

Karaxxx

I don't know why you would offer a discount because you don't like the colour, do you not value your time or ability?

I am performing a service for my clients they tell me what colour they want I make it my business to do a great job, that's it. I don't know why you would turn down money?

As for dictating what colour your client wants I find that nuts. I also had a request for all white nails, I explained that they might look a bit tippex like offered a suggestion but explained I was 100% happy to do all white, the client went with my suggestion but by no means was I pushy. I wouldn't like anybody to tell me what I can and can't have done when I'm paying.

Hang on before you all start jumping on my back. You can't here tone of voice through text. I don't find the fact I offer my honest opinion a problem when I have a 3/4 week waiting list. I'm honest I'm telling them what suits their nails, yes they are paying me but I'm the one who's a master painter and know my colours inside and out. I don't want them walking out thinking oh I like this colour but it makes me look anaemic maybe she was right. That's why I tell them before they walk out of the salon!! Iv never once in 4 years had a client complain they are all over the moon and pleased that I tell them what suits them and what looks nice. I'm not the one offering discounts! Just saying :)

People pick a colour and they ask me what do I think....we take it from there...sometimes I'll say I don't think that colour suits you or maybe this one might be better .....

I often say ....if you like it go for it , you're paying for it....

That's why I always buy all the new colours that are released ..just because I like a colour doesn't mean my clients will...

But like others have said I certainly wouldn't discount just because I didn't like the combo ....if that's the case I'd be discounting every time someone had a matte finish done..

Hang on before you all start jumping on my back. You can't here tone of voice through text. I don't find the fact I offer my honest opinion a problem when I have a 3/4 week waiting list. I'm honest I'm telling them what suits their nails, yes they are paying me but I'm the one who's a master painter and know my colours inside and out. I don't want them walking out thinking oh I like this colour but it makes me look anaemic maybe she was right. That's why I tell them before they walk out of the salon!! Iv never once in 4 years had a client complain they are all over the moon and pleased that I tell them what suits them and what looks nice. I'm not the one offering discounts! Just saying :)

Explaining to your clients that a colour might clash with their skin tone is one thing, but saying you can't have red again is another. Just my opinion, but as you say it's working for you, personally I treat my clients the way I would want to be treated and if I wanted red every single time I would expect to get it no questions asked 😉

The particular client asking for red is my best friend, and despite me telling the client I don't like white nails and painting them yellow she still bought me a huge bunch of flowers on Saturday :/ xx

I've just had a client who chose wildfire layered with iced coral. The Wildfire applied beautifully as always but I wasn't happy with the result when iced coral was layered over. She was happy with them however I didn't like it, I think ultimately it was the clients colour choice I struggled with. I told her I wasn't 100% happy and offered her a discount, she was however happy to pay in full but I insisted :( I pride myself on being happy with my work and I just wondered how you all handle these situations. I have attached a pic so you can see the result. ThanksView attachment 57432

One of my clients chose a colour but then when I was finished I could tell she didn't like them. So I told her that I would put a layer of red over them and she loved them. I discovered a new combination too.

It was kind of you to offer a discount but it wasn't necessary in this case, so learn from it and move on.

Thank you for all your responses :) I've had time to think and digest the situation and was probably a little hasty with my decision. But she was a work colleague (other job) so I don't regret it, I think I probably need to speak up a little if I think their choice of colour will not work for them, I think it was the green cast the iced coral gave that I thought looked odd ! Thanks

I always advise a colour choice if it won't suit the clients skin tone. Ive had a few clients go for blackpool with moonlight & roses over. I dony personally like it but clients have gone away happy

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back