Unhappy with my job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginahhrose

Reaction score
Hi, wrote a thread a few weeks ago about how i wasnt enjoying my job due to it being unprofessional, not getting much from it and all that. Since i started at the new job ive had to carry on looking for a new job which ime still doing. But the other day my boss really upset me and know i havnt got a clue how to handle it :(

I went in on tuesday to collect my wages, and she wanted a chat. She told me that because at times ime quiet, i look like ive got an attitude. Which i dont ime probably just concentrating and trying my best to start a convo with the client. She then told me she spent an hour and a half fixing a set of nails id don because the client wasnt happy, i dont know what id done wrong with them or why she wasnt happy. She also said shes not happy that ime not bringing friends and family in to be my clients, evan tho they all know were i am and when ime there, they just cant afford treatments every week coz my boss wont advertise ime new and for new clients. Shes basically told me ime not good enough, and with out being big headed i know i am. Shes also told me ime not enthusiastic enough about beauty evan tho ime the one nagging her to help train me and teach me and she wont fine the time.

I ended up going home and crying all night coz i felt like crap and evan cried to my teacher in front of clients in college on wednesday morning. My boss only qualified in level 2 at the same time as me and isnt evan carrying on her level 3. Ime pretty much done with my level 3. Ime really starting to loose my confidence and really feel like ime not good enough.

Just want some advice on how to handle it when shes back in on tuesday as i want to let her know she upset me with out sounding like ime slagging her off. Ime still looking for another job but i need this to pay for competitions and rent so i cant leave until ive got another one :(

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh sweetie, I remember your previous thread. She sounds horrible and to tell you she's had to sort out nails that you supposedly messed up without telling you what was wrong is silly.

Do not let her dent your confidence! You are clearly more committed and passionate than her as she's not even bothered to continue to level 3. I really really wish you the best in finding another job ASAP!

Thankyou!! evan if she just sat down with me and went through a full set so she could point out what went wrong, like a boss should do with a newly qualified therapist/nail tech i would of been fine!

Spent yesterday comfort eating coz she made me feel that poop!!!

Seriously hoping i find a new job soon :(

Thankyou!! evan if she just sat down with me and went through a full set so she could point out what went wrong, like a boss should do with a newly qualified therapist/nail tech i would of been fine!

Its prob coz she wouldnt know what to point out - she sounds quite new - sending big hugs remember no one can make you feel inferior but yourself! keep your head up and get out asap! xx

Yes she should have but the problem is she has no experience herself. Constructive criticism is one thing but telling you that you made a mess of something is not helpful at all.

Don't let her get to you, continue to practise and better yourself within the industry as you are already. I bet you'll be doing much better than her in a few years time. The fact that you're here on SG shows your passionate and willing to learn.

Perhaps you could ask her to explain what you did wrong. Try and turn it into a positive...oh and watch her squirm when she can't answer!

Hey,

She sounds like an inexperienced boss so maybe she's learning management skills as she goes along. When you chat with her just explain how she made you feel and that when she told you that you messed up a set of nails she didn't explain exactly what you done wrong so you can't guarantee you won't do it again as you don't know what you done wrong!

Just like you are learning to be a therapist she's also learning to be a manager/owner. Have you told her your family and friends cannot afford weekly treatments etc? If not then maybe you should. I'm not defending her as its not nice reducing someone to tears but the fact is she qualified same time as you and has level 2 so she's in experienced. The other thing is maybe you are a threat as you are almost level 3 qualified and she needs to constantly remind you that she is superior. Maybe that lady didn't even come back to complain....

Anyway give it some time and give her time to become a better boss and yourself time to be a better therapist if it still doesn't work keep looking and when something better comes along go for it.

Keep your head up though and maybe put a few pounds a week aside buy a nail set and practice on friends and family and just charge them enough to cover your costs. That way you'll look much better in the salon as you will practice in your own time and we all know practice makes perfect.

Anyway hope you feel better and keep it up and go for what you believe. Keep us posted.

I also remember your last thread :(

I agree that if she said a client had a problem she should have made you aware of what the problem was and how you'd go about solving it.
I would keep looking for that new job!!! Could you go mobile?

Talk with her of course but from reading this post and your last one she sounds like a nightmare and your worth more. Like above poster has said - dont let it knock your confidence, stay committed and professional x x
Sent from my GT-S5360

Yes she should have but the problem is she has no experience herself. Constructive criticism is one thing but telling you that you made a mess of something is not helpful at all.

Don't let her get to you, continue to practise and better yourself within the industry as you are already. I bet you'll be doing much better than her in a few years time. The fact that you're here on SG shows your passionate and willing to learn.

Perhaps you could ask her to explain what you did wrong. Try and turn it into a positive...oh and watch her squirm when she can't answer!

ohh i cant wait to watch her when she realises she probably cant answer!!!

Hey,

She sounds like an inexperienced boss so maybe she's learning management skills as she goes along. When you chat with her just explain how she made you feel and that when she told you that you messed up a set of nails she didn't explain exactly what you done wrong so you can't guarantee you won't do it again as you don't know what you done wrong!

Just like you are learning to be a therapist she's also learning to be a manager/owner. Have you told her your family and friends cannot afford weekly treatments etc? If not then maybe you should. I'm not defending her as its not nice reducing someone to tears but the fact is she qualified same time as you and has level 2 so she's in experienced. The other thing is maybe you are a threat as you are almost level 3 qualified and she needs to constantly remind you that she is superior. Maybe that lady didn't even come back to complain....

Anyway give it some time and give her time to become a better boss and yourself time to be a better therapist if it still doesn't work keep looking and when something better comes along go for it.

Keep your head up though and maybe put a few pounds a week aside buy a nail set and practice on friends and family and just charge them enough to cover your costs. That way you'll look much better in the salon as you will practice in your own time and we all know practice makes perfect.

Anyway hope you feel better and keep it up and go for what you believe. Keep us posted.

i understand were your coming from, shes definetly learning to but if shes still learning she shouldnt of hired someone when she isnt experienced :/

I also remember your last thread :(

I agree that if she said a client had a problem she should have made you aware of what the problem was and how you'd go about solving it.
I would keep looking for that new job!!! Could you go mobile?

Talk with her of course but from reading this post and your last one she sounds like a nightmare and your worth more. Like above poster has said - dont let it knock your confidence, stay committed and professional x x

so wish i could go mobile!! :( no car or money to learn :(

Sent from my GT-S5360

thank you so much guys, it really had made me feel so much better! definetly going to keep practising at home, (oh she also told me practising on a nail trainer isnt good enough practice! what else can i do,put a new set on my sister every day!!!!) and ime definetly going to carry on looking for a new job, ill keep you all posted :) thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxxxxx

Exactly what I was thinking! If I have a problem with anything that my girls do I sit an explain how can u correct it another time if you don't know what you did!

Hold your head up high and carry on you'll soon be out of there. X

Ime going to try on tuesday when i see her, but i cant think of a way to tell her how upset i am with out her being annoyed, i want her to sit down with me and show me but she doesnt seem interested. The whole time she was talking to me i was getting either a blank stare or a dirty look :/

thank you tho xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ime going to try on tuesday when i see her, but i cant think of a way to tell her how upset i am with out her being annoyed, i want her to sit down with me and show me but she doesnt seem interested. The whole time she was talking to me i was getting either a blank stare or a dirty look :/

thank you tho xxxxxxxxxxxxx

try to keep it as light as possible, maybe start with good morning, how was your weekend blah blah. then just casually say, oh I was thinking about what you were saying on Tuesday and it really bothered me what you said about the nails that you had to fix. I like to think of myself as a perfectionist so you can imagine how hurtful this was, but I really want to learn from my mistakes and obviosuly I want to make sure this doesnt happen again so would you be able to let me know what was the problem? who was the client, maybe I can recall if I did something different with her ie did you do a dry prep or a wet prep etc, and what you had to do to rectify what I had done wrong? It might be something simple that I can rectify straight away so it will really help to know.

Then when she goes on to explain the teeny tiny blip that she made to correct your error, you will have to bite your tongue from saying......."and it took you an hour and a half to do that?" lol:wink2:

(oh she also told me practising on a nail trainer isnt good enough practice! what else can i do,put a new set on my sister every day!!!!) and ime definetly going to carry on looking for a new job, ill keep you all posted :) thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxxxxx

Is she serious?! Has she seen the size of those trainers' nail plates? They're HUGE! And perfect for practice. My Instructor always said if you could do it perfectly on a huge or long nail, you could do it on ANY nail. To put the issue of your nails to rest, practice, practice, practice til you're 100% sure your nails look good and last well. If you want, you can take advantage of the nail critique section and hear real constructive criticism to help you improve where you need to improve. You need to build your confidence up to the point where you don't even think twice and just do when asked for a fullset.

As for her... In one ear and out the other. You don't need to wake up a few pound heavier with cottage cheese thighs over her. If what she's saying to you is not helping anyone, then it doesn't need any thought. Just like everyone said, she probably doesn't know what's wrong herself. She's inexperienced herself. Everytime a client says something's wrong, she'll automatically think you did something wrong. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't, but it doesn't help you much when you don't know the problem yourself, does it?

try to keep it as light as possible, maybe start with good morning, how was your weekend blah blah. then just casually say, oh I was thinking about what you were saying on Tuesday and it really bothered me what you said about the nails that you had to fix. I like to think of myself as a perfectionist so you can imagine how hurtful this was, but I really want to learn from my mistakes and obviosuly I want to make sure this doesnt happen again so would you be able to let me know what was the problem? who was the client, maybe I can recall if I did something different with her ie did you do a dry prep or a wet prep etc, and what you had to do to rectify what I had done wrong? It might be something simple that I can rectify straight away so it will really help to know.

Then when she goes on to explain the teeny tiny blip that she made to correct your error, you will have to bite your tongue from saying......."and it took you an hour and a half to do that?" lol:wink2:

thats a really good way of putting it!! definetly going to take your advice!!!

Is she serious?! Has she seen the size of those trainers' nail plates? They're HUGE! And perfect for practice. My Instructor always said if you could do it perfectly on a huge or long nail, you could do it on ANY nail. To put the issue of your nails to rest, practice, practice, practice til you're 100% sure your nails look good and last well. If you want, you can take advantage of the nail critique section and hear real constructive criticism to help you improve where you need to improve. You need to build your confidence up to the point where you don't even think twice and just do when asked for a fullset.

As for her... In one ear and out the other. You don't need to wake up a few pound heavier with cottage cheese thighs over her. If what she's saying to you is not helping anyone, then it doesn't need any thought. Just like everyone said, she probably doesn't know what's wrong herself. She's inexperienced herself. Everytime a client says something's wrong, she'll automatically think you did something wrong. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't, but it doesn't help you much when you don't know the problem yourself, does it?

haha there massive! ime definetly going to buy one, i think there ace :')

Just another thing to whinge at, i turned up today at 9 40. Always got told be here for 9 45 to set up and that before 10. Sat outside in the cold till 5 past ten before the other girl arrived, boss is on holiday! Only to find out, that yesterday she told the other girl she doesnt need me today as its not busy. Actualy didnt even bother to ring me, text me or evan bloody facebook me to let me know. Half hour walk to work was such a waste of time!

On the plus side, not working today gave me lots of chance to ring other salons and ive got an interveiw tuesday afternoon! :D

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

congrats on the interview let us know how its goes.
tbh you dont need that salon, its sounds very unprofessional and quite bitchy if im honest. one thing i was concerned about when i started beauty was the bitchy side, but if your a REAL therapist. your not interested in the she said he said. you just wanna know how to be better

dont let them hold you back!!!!!
Good luck hun xxxx

thankyou! it definetly is bitchy!

ill let everyone know how it goes:) xxxxx

Ah sweets, I remember your last post. "what doesnt kill you, makes you stronger"
We have all been in crap jobs before working for crap bosses. It makes you appreciate it when you find a good one. And you WILL find a good one!
Turn the negatives in to positives, and use it to fuel that drive to get the hell outta there!
A good boss will encourage, nurture, teach and respect you. And in return you will work your ass off for them because you love where you work :D
This will have a happy ending babe, Im sure, just keep your chin up
xxxxx

Good luck for the interview sweetheart! Xx

Ah sweets, I remember your last post. "what doesnt kill you, makes you stronger"
We have all been in crap jobs before working for crap bosses. It makes you appreciate it when you find a good one. And you WILL find a good one!
Turn the negatives in to positives, and use it to fuel that drive to get the hell outta there!
A good boss will encourage, nurture, teach and respect you. And in return you will work your ass off for them because you love where you work :D
This will have a happy ending babe, Im sure, just keep your chin up
xxxxx

so true!
never tried so hard in my life to find a job, cant wait to actualy work somewere were ill actualy learn something!

thank you guysss xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good luck with your interview :) let us know how it goes!! X

Sent from my GT-S5360

hi i totally no where your coming from i'm experiencing a similar thing myself hope your interview goes well and the best advice i could give is keep your chin up and dont let it knock your confidence.:hug:

Latest posts

Back