Unhappy with my job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, wrote a thread a few weeks ago about how i wasnt enjoying my job due to it being unprofessional, not getting much from it and all that. Since i started at the new job ive had to carry on looking for a new job which ime still doing. But the other day my boss really upset me and know i havnt got a clue how to handle it :(

I went in on tuesday to collect my wages, and she wanted a chat. She told me that because at times ime quiet, i look like ive got an attitude. Which i dont ime probably just concentrating and trying my best to start a convo with the client. She then told me she spent an hour and a half fixing a set of nails id don because the client wasnt happy, i dont know what id done wrong with them or why she wasnt happy. She also said shes not happy that ime not bringing friends and family in to be my clients, evan tho they all know were i am and when ime there, they just cant afford treatments every week coz my boss wont advertise ime new and for new clients. Shes basically told me ime not good enough, and with out being big headed i know i am. Shes also told me ime not enthusiastic enough about beauty evan tho ime the one nagging her to help train me and teach me and she wont fine the time.

I ended up going home and crying all night coz i felt like crap and evan cried to my teacher in front of clients in college on wednesday morning. My boss only qualified in level 2 at the same time as me and isnt evan carrying on her level 3. Ime pretty much done with my level 3. Ime really starting to loose my confidence and really feel like ime not good enough.

Just want some advice on how to handle it when shes back in on tuesday as i want to let her know she upset me with out sounding like ime slagging her off. Ime still looking for another job but i need this to pay for competitions and rent so i cant leave until ive got another one :(

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I read your last post relating to this job where you were saying about them mixing products and telling you how to do things dispite you being qualified and them not.

To be honest, as severe as this might sound, I think you need to question the value of an opinion that comes from a boss who treats you this way anyway.

Wishing you the best of luck with your job hunt.

thanks guys, really hoping tuesday goes well!

just a quickie... regarding your comment about you turning up for work and then her not needing you!!
Check your contract of employment as you will probably find that she needs to give you notice to put you on short time or lay you off without pay, lots of people dont know this but I've spent 22 years in HR so it may be worth finding out your entitlements where pay is concerned. She cant just want you one day and not the next without notice!
Keep your chin up and be strong

Oh Hun just reading your thread reminded me so much of a personal situation I had a year ago...

Was at a salon, promised training - didnt get any..Overheard her with one of my clients telling her my service was not up to salon standard despite the fact that she had knowingly given me the appointment to do that I was not trained in...

Then was let go of because I was not busy enough - this conversation was the only one to one time she spent with me. :twisted:

I am somewhere else now and my confidence has soared.. I realised that I was and am a competent therapist but the prEvious salon was unprofessional and not supportive.

Defo move on! And put it down to one of those experiences you learn from!

Good luck..x

just a quickie... regarding your comment about you turning up for work and then her not needing you!!
Check your contract of employment as you will probably find that she needs to give you notice to put you on short time or lay you off without pay, lots of people dont know this but I've spent 22 years in HR so it may be worth finding out your entitlements where pay is concerned. She cant just want you one day and not the next without notice!
Keep your chin up and be strong

I dont have a contract of employment :/ Is this still right if i dont? Really really annoyed at her! Lost so much money not working that day :(

Oh Hun just reading your thread reminded me so much of a personal situation I had a year ago...

Was at a salon, promised training - didnt get any..Overheard her with one of my clients telling her my service was not up to salon standard despite the fact that she had knowingly given me the appointment to do that I was not trained in...

Then was let go of because I was not busy enough - this conversation was the only one to one time she spent with me. :twisted:

I am somewhere else now and my confidence has soared.. I realised that I was and am a competent therapist but the prEvious salon was unprofessional and not supportive.

Defo move on! And put it down to one of those experiences you learn from!

I cant wait to find a new job, really wana work somewere were ime gonna learn from someone!!! :)
thankyouxxxxxxxxxx

Good luck..x

I'm not saying that your boss isn't doing it right but the following could be warning signs that you are not being employed legally:

No contract

Being paid cash in hand

Not being paid the nmw per hour

I get what you mean, never realised cash in hand wasnt allowed? Its how ive been paid at a hairdressers for around a yr until he decided to put it in my account, and now until my trials over ime cash in hand at this salon to.

I get what you mean, never realised cash in hand wasnt allowed? Its how ive been paid at a hairdressers for around a yr until he decided to put it in my account, and now until my trials over ime cash in hand at this salon to.

I get paid cash in hand it it all goes through the accountants, they send me a wage slip every week with how much my boss pays me and they deal with the tax/ national insurance etc so aslong as its done like that it's fine. X

ohhh mine just comes out the till :/ xxx

did you speak to your boss today?
hope the interview went well and you find another job soon!! x :)

not yet, she was busy...

thanks it went really good :) xxxx

thanks, thats actualy helped, ill speak to her about it when we close tomorow :) xxx

Wrote a few weeks ago and a few weeks before that about how i was unhappy with my job.

Just had a phone call and shes fired me.

Apparently i have an attitude and she cant trust me with clients because im not good enough. She complained that i spent a day cleaning when i didn't have any clients in, even tho as far as ime aware that's what your meant to do?

I said polity on the phone that i thought it was disrespectful and unprofessional to do it on the phone and that i had a few issues i wanted to talk to her about face to face but she wouldn't listen. She also said that she cant leave me to manage the salon when shes not there because she hasn't seen enough from me, 1) shes not given me the hours 2) I've not been there to show her anything and 3) ime just leaving college, how wants a new inexperienced college leaver to manage there salon?!

Suppose it saves my stress every week, and i have got a trade test and a trail day at two salons week after next so its not all bad :/ xxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
In the long run you will look back and be glad you escaped!

Good luck with your trials x

yes! already feel better about it, just worrying about money now :/

thankyou !! xxxxx

Good Luck Ginah, you are so much beter of without someone poisoning you day regularly. Hope you do well at your trials nd trade test

thank you :) just gotta wait till after next week for my trade tests :/

Good Luck! remember it all happens for a reason.

**** is how you percieve it :biggrin:
(sorry to swear, but its friday so Im treating myself :wink2:)
xx

sounds like you're best off out of it to be honest. she sounds like a bully. it is massively unprofessional to let someone go over the phone!

the sad thing is that in my opinion there are lots of people who run salons who frankly, shouldn't be doing it (i'm talking from experience here) and this can very often affect an employee who would be very valuable if they were approapriately treated with legal pay and constructive support.

her loss.

wishing you the very best of luck! :)

Latest posts

Back