Unsure of my career choices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nad1a

Reaction score
Hi, I'm halfway through my level 3 hairdressing and and only just done my level 2 last year (never worked in a salon) and not really sure if I've made the right choice. I enjoy hairdressing but my enthusiasm has died since doing L3. The passion just isn't there like it was before sadly.

I've always wanted to do nursing and considering doing an access course then going to uhi. I'm 26 with 2 kids but I feel if I don't do it now I may regret it for the rest of my life. I did do a social care course few years ago and worked in nursing homes a lot. I feel like I've wasted my life not choosing something sooner.

Any friendly advice? (Confused :s)

Hi, I'm halfway through my level 3 hairdressing and and only just done my level 2 last year (never worked in a salon) and not really sure if I've made the right choice. I enjoy hairdressing but my enthusiasm has died since doing L3. The passion just isn't there like it was before sadly.

I've always wanted to do nursing and considering doing an access course then going to uhi. I'm 26 with 2 kids but I feel if I don't do it now I may regret it for the rest of my life. I did do a social care course few years ago and worked in nursing homes a lot. I feel like I've wasted my life not choosing something sooner.

Any friendly advice? (Confused :s)

What do you have to lose? You will still have your trade, you can still do hair when you feel you want to.....personally I say go for it....don't look back...don't still be saying this in another ten years....and have no regrets...best of luck.

What do you have to lose? You will still have your trade, you can still do hair when you feel you want to.....personally I say go for it....don't look back...don't still be saying this in another ten years....and have no regrets...best of luck.

Thanks! Nothing to lose I guess, just 3 years at uni if I change my mind back again! Ha! Lol But at least il have the qualification.
I shall apply for the Health Care Course tomorrow :)

Thanks! Nothing to lose I guess, just 3 years at uni if I change my mind back again! Ha! Lol But at least il have the qualification.
I shall apply for the Health Care Course tomorrow :)

....and it may just be the best three years of your life.....new friends, new prospects, new life! Go for it girl! :)

Do it ! Don't think you've wasted your life so far, you haven't, you've always got hairdressing to fall back on and earn money while at uni - it's a win win situation :) x

I know 2 people who have done this, change their career to nursing in their late 20's, and although financially it was a struggle for the 3 years training, they have never regretted it.
Nursing is a vocation, and damn hard work but if it is what you want to do, you owe it to yourself to go for it.
Good Luck.

I'd complete your L3 hairdressing then start sept for nursing qual ...
One good thing at least you can support yourself with a job you can do mobile / salon around uni ... !!! .. And whatever happens you can always fall back on it whenever you want it need to ...
Good luck ... Xxx.

I'd complete your L3 hairdressing then start sept for nursing qual ...
One good thing at least you can support yourself with a job you can do mobile / salon around uni ... !!! .. And whatever happens you can always fall back on it whenever you want it need to ...
Good luck ... Xxx.

Thanks. Yeh il def finish my hairdressing first. I'm really worried abut how il manage childcare and uni :O... Nearest one is about 70 miles away so would mean moving away from family! Oh my. Certainly need to think it through x

Hey

i'm just about to do the same thing! I'm 23 so a few years younger and have been doing beauty since 18. I love beauty but I feel like I was pushed away from pursuing what I really wanted to do because my mum put me off it! (She's a nurse and a midwife...)

I'm going down the midwifery route (applying sept this year) and hopefully can still work my beauty around it as I'd hate to give up everything I've worked hard for, I really do love it. I'm lucky in that my closest uni is literally a 10min drive up the road! I'm also hoping to have a baby before I start (crazy I know but timing has to be perfect else it will be a nightmare).

If you need any advice, not that i know much... I'd be happy to help. Or if you just want to chat PM me. Good luck! x

So glad to find this thread!! After 15years in beauty, own business, and a baby on the way very soon, I'm taking the plunge & going to do my access course, hoping I get on to do the midwifery degree!, so that's 4 years in education, living off savings & hubby's wage!!. Scary stuff, but if I don't do it il regret it!. Loving reading everyone else's story of similar experience :) nice & re assuring & hey you only live once :)

So glad to find this thread!! After 15years in beauty, own business, and a baby on the way very soon, I'm taking the plunge & going to do my access course, hoping I get on to do the midwifery degree!, so that's 4 years in education, living off savings & hubby's wage!!. Scary stuff, but if I don't do it il regret it!. Loving reading everyone else's story of similar experience :) nice & re assuring & hey you only live once :)

Eek how exciting! Have you checked how much you can get on the nhs bursary scheme? It might surprise you! Where are you applying? I'm not sure if I need to do the access course, I'm going to find out at one of the open days on Saturday! x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, il be going to university of Cumbria. Hadn't even thought to check out the bursaries, thanks for the pointer :). Keep us posted how you get on on sat :)

Latest posts

Back