UNT Peel Off Base Coat over gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissyLou2013

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a peel off base coat (in particular I had my eye on UNT) over gel polish or builder gel? Did it work?

I have clients who are only allowed natural nails for work but would like colours and glitter for the weekends. Previously they have painted over the gel and this is removed with an acetone free polish remover but it is a pain and dark colours/glitters are difficult to remove around the cuticle, sometimes making the nail look dirty.

I have seen UNT peel off base coat on YouTube used over the natural nail and it looks easy to remove and seems like an ideal solution but didn't want to waste money on it if it doesn't work over gel and would not recommend until I have tried it myself.

If anyone has tried this, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I just tried this over Fingerpaints one step gel polish with Fingerpaints soak off top coat. I used a normal coat of UNT and three coats of a thick, fine glitter, then Seche Vite on top. It was peelable after 12 hours, but didn't peel like UNT does on a natural nail in one clean layer. It was more work to slowly chip and gently scrape it off the gel. Still easier than a glue based peel off coat, but not like UNT's normal perfect peel. There was a lot left around cuticle and tip, I ended up just getting some non-acetone remover for the last bits. I suspect it may be easier after 24 hours or more.

I first tried to peel like I normally do with UNT, at the edge of the nail, I just ended up peeling off a huge chunk of gel. After that I started scraping toward the top middle and working out and down So it'll work, and I'd bet over a builder gel or 3 step polish it would work better without yanking up the gel, but you still need to go slowly. I couldn't pop it off with oil and pressure like I can with UNT on bare nails, and had more luck using other fingernails rather than an orange stick to scrape.

Edit: Tried this again with a very thick coat of UNT over a harder gel topcoat. I used 3 coats of a superfine glitter polish and Seche Vite, and didn't try to peel it for 24 hours. It still took some work to get the edge up without scraping the gel underneath, and it doesn't peel off in a perfect piece, but I could easily peel the polish off in 2 or 3 pieces with no scraping. Once you have an edge, you just pull it off. So this will work!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back