Used base coat instead of top coat, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manystyle

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if anyone has used base coat instead of the top coat. I was doing fading glitter tips on my shellac. accidentely I added 2 coats of base coat when it should have been top coat:eek:. I did not realize that it was base coat!

so pretty much I added one base coat (instead of the top coat) and noticed that it was not smooth so added another base coat (instead of the top coat):cry: I THEN REALIZED what I have done and added the TOP COAT:Scared:. I did not mention anything to the client. . removed tacky layer and done etc

has anyone done this? I heard adding two top coats its fine. BUT 2 BASE COATS instead of it being the top coat. eeeeikkk did I screw up? any suggestions? thanks in advance.

I've never done it! But poor you, I hope its fine for you and you get no problems :)

mmmm im screwed! i know :(

I THEN REALIZED what I have done and added the TOP COAT:Scared:

I'm going to go with a hunch here and say that as long as you top coated properly then I'm hopeful you shouldn't have any comeback on this one. That protective coating from the top coat is still on as your final coat, yes? So my gut reaction is it's likely to be fine.

What I will say though is that you're clearly still fretting about this, and I don't see much point in worrying about something that might never happen. Chalk it up to experience, make sure you can decipher between base and top coat bottles easier (I buy the small base coats and the large top coats for ease of identifying them quickly) - oh, and don't do it again! ;)

thanks very much Up to Scratch! yes i did... After I found out I added the top coat then it was perfectly smooth. :) .. i wonder if the client noticed? lol. she should of told me!! uugh

n yes. you are right. I need to chalk it up on experience and never ever do it again. that extra 3 seconds to check the label would of saved me all this trouble.... I was thinking itll chip, bubble etc sooo many things lol. but yes we put soo many things in shellac with art and stuff that as long as it was sealed corectly then it should be fine. you really made my day and holiday better. thanks just what I needed to hear. merry christmas! :)

For future reference this may be useful to remember... The basecoat bristles are clear and the topcoat bristles are black! :)

For future reference this may be useful to remember... The basecoat bristles are clear and the topcoat bristles are black! :)

Omg really! Two years in and I have never consciously noticed this - how bad it that!

Omg really! Two years in and I have never consciously noticed this - how bad it that!

Ditto! I will still forget but at least it'll be in the back of my mind. I did 'base coat' then looked at the bottles and couldn't distinguish which one I'd used so wiped it off and started again. Luckily she didn't mind, said best to be safe ;) thank god it only cures 10 secs so you can wipe it off haha x

I have never noticed that either. I just go by the gold and silver x

just an update. the client came back!!!. i did a shellac fading with glitter tips (so romantique with the sparkling silver additive) . 2 base coats instead of using top coat. then i realized what ive done and added the top coat eeekkk.... so

I noticed that her romantique faded. as we know romantique is like a light pink it turned into a clearly pink!! really! it did not look like romantique at all. and where I put the glitter it looked dirty! it looked like her tips had dirt inside... ive never seen this before BUT i GUESS THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN U ADD 2 BASE COATS INSTEAD OF TOP COATS. I LEARNED MY LESSON NOW. I VE BEEN CHECKING THE LABEL NOW.

THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP.

another double check is to pay attention to the brush.

Base coat is short and stubby with clear bristles,
Top Coat is long and wide with black bristles

should help!

Ooops, think I've just done something similar - luckily tho on my own toes!!
Shellaced my toes in a beautiful decadence, went to top coat the first foot and the bottle was where I thought the base coat was - so have a sneaky feelin I may have used top coat for a base coat.
While cursing myself and trying to figure a way of preventing this happening again I lost track of what I'd done to each foot and just used d-sperse without putting top coat on first!!
Lesson learnt that even as a woman, sometimes you can just be tooo tired to multi task - lol xx
Going to bed now b4 I destroy anything else!!

Latest posts

Back