Using mitts during facial?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first post on Salon Geek as I'm just coming to the end of a VTCT facial qualification. In our college training we've used sponges to remove all facial products but I've seen warm mitts mentioned a couple of times on this site and I wondered how you use them in this context? Are they to remove products? Or to place over the face as part of the facial sequence?

It sounds like a lovely alternative to the sponges, which I've never really liked using or having them used on me, so am keen to find out more!

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

And welcome to salon geek!

Yes you can use them to remove product.
You can either soak
Them in a bowl of hot water, or if you have a towel cabby/steamer- you can heat them in there too which will keep
Them warm, and gets them warmer too.

They feel so much more lovely than sponges.

I
Used to use elemis, and as part of their facials we also
Use a compress with a drop
Of essential oil on as a relaxation method throughout the treatment too which was nice.

Rachel x

Hi Rachel,

Thanks so much for your speedy reply!

Do you not find that dipping the mitts in hot water makes them a bit too wet? I'm forever wringing out the sponges!

The compress sounds fab. Can I ask what areas of the face that covered and when during the facial sequence it was used? I'm keen to make my facials as luxurious as possible when I start working as a mobile therapist so this is all super helpful :)

Ooh, and if anyone can recommend their favourite mitts, that would be fabulous!

Yes they can be a little bit, but just wring them out.
I use a towel cabby though so I don't have that problem. They are a fantastic investment if you can afford- you can heat products in it and all sorts :)

The compress if I remember rightly, was done after cleansing and the mask I think. It was years ago I worked with elemis though so
Don't quote me on that

Xx

Ooo and if you can get the mitts with the thumb hole they are better, the plain square mitts fall off really easily I
Find

X

I use towel compress (facial towels) in my hot towel cabinet to remove mask during treatment as I steam during cleansing,the mitts I use at the start of a treatment to cleanse the feet. I still use facial sponges to removed cleanser / exfoliator during treatments but they are given to the client after treatment anyway x

Using hot mitts is a great way to add that special touch to your treatments. Definitely much nicer than sponges.
As Rachel suggested above - wring them out well to avoid uncomfortable dripping.

Something else to consider is adding hydrolat/hydrosol/floral water to the bowl that you immerse the mitts in, this will give them a lovely aroma and it can be tailored to your client too - for instance Rose is well known for having an uplifting effect on those that are feeling low, so if you have any clients you know are under the weather/baby blues little touches like this, even though small make your treatments nicer for your clients and it builds up rapport.

Good luck with the rest of your course, you sound like youre a great therapist in the making already :)

Thanks for your response Matthew, that's really helpful and I love the tip about floral water - I will definitely add that to the list of products to invest in.

Can I ask what facial mitts you prefer? Or are they all quite similar in terms of texture/quality?

Thanks again!

When I was starting I bought bumper pk of flannels, cut them in half, sewed around the edge , turned them inside out & VOILE home- made mitts! Their great! X

I use the ones without thumbs (because I prefer them) from majestic. They're about a pound a pair and they wash up and last really well.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I use the facial towels from your salon store. Soak them in an oil and heat in my cabby. Then I press them onto the face before I use them to remove the product.

Clients always comment on how nice it is. I dont faff about with mitts and sponges are horrible and scratchy :lol:

Latest posts

Back