UV gel polish - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura may

Reaction score
i am new to gel polish and appear to be struggling with ibd so i change to asp and yet although i got on with the product much better they are just not lasting?

Please help me or advise what i am doing wrong a loosing the will to live :(

It could be a number of things. Have a search on here there lots of threads like this.
It's normally down to your preparation. If you can't find what your looking of talk us through what you do step by step.
And think are you doing the exact same as when you did your training?

Laura xx

- I file the nails into shape
- with a white buffer i file on top of the nail
- i use a dehydrator in a bottle
- then i use a primer/bonder
- then apply base coat and set under uv lamp for 2 mins
- apply first colour coat and set
- apply second/third coat and set
- then finally put on top coat and set a further 2 mins
- remove with nail polish the access

Have you done any training? Can you go back to the educator for some extra advise? It could be something small that just needs tweaking...you also haven't said if you cap the free edge or not?? Xx

Do you do cuticle work? Xx

yes little cuticle work if needed and yes i forgot to mention i seal the ends

Are you doing the coats of polish too thick maybe? X

Not exactly sure what this means but are you saying you use nail polish remover to take off the tacky layer? Because this could be part of the problem.

Quote: Not exactly sure what this means but are you saying you use nail polish remover to take off the tacky layer? Because this could be part of the problem.

Reply: yes i mean to remove the tacky layer how come this maybe the problem? bit confused as this is what i was shown when i took the course but please any other options are worth me looking into?

From your description I'd say that cuticle work is missing and the last step where you use nail varnish remover confuses me a bit as this could meddle with the products that you've just applied.
I use Gellux and they have a solution called Prep & Wipe which removes the inhibition layer. Does your system not produce a similar product? X

- I file the nails into shape
- with a white buffer i file on top of the nail
- i use a dehydrator in a bottle
- then i use a primer/bonder
- then apply base coat and set under uv lamp for 2 mins
- apply first colour coat and set
- apply second/third coat and set
- then finally put on top coat and set a further 2 mins

Cuticle work is always needed. Pushing the cuticles back is essential, the nipping any excess cuticle if needed. If you don't push them back then the base coat is going over the thin, and probably se through, layer, and not adhering to the nail plate underneath. This will cause the product to lift straight away.

There should be a specific product with your system to wipe away the inhibition layer left at the end if the treatment. Not sure why you have been shown to use nail polish remover.

If your nail polish remover has acetone in as well then your wiping this over you will get service breakdown.

Laura xx

Cuticle work is always needed. Pushing the cuticles back is essential, the nipping any excess cuticle if needed. If you don't push them back then the base coat is going over the thin, and probably se through, layer, and not adhering to the nail plate underneath. This will cause the product to lift straight away.

There should be a specific product with your system to wipe away the inhibition layer left at the end if the treatment. Not sure why you have been shown to use nail polish remover.

If your nail polish remover has acetone in as well then your wiping this over you will get service breakdown.

Laura xx

I am currently using IBD gel polish so what is best to use to remove the tacky layer except nail varnish remover? (and no it does not contain acetone) does using the correct bonder/primer make a difference as well?

Thanks Laura x

I am currently using IBD gel polish so what is best to use to remove the tacky layer except nail varnish remover? (and no it does not contain acetone) does using the correct bonder/primer make a difference as well?

Thanks Laura x
My non-acetone polish remover can actually be used to remove Gelicure (the gel polish I use), so yeah don't use polish remover to take off the tacky layer, as it may start breaking it down.

It's usually some sort of alcohol solution such as isopropyl alcohol that you use to take off the tacky layer. Your systems probably has a product to do this.

Are you using the whole system? You mention using the correct bonder/primer - are they a different system to your gel polish?

My non-acetone polish remover can actually be used to remove Gelicure (the gel polish I use), so yeah don't use polish remover to take off the tacky layer, as it may start breaking it down.

It's usually some sort of alcohol solution such as isopropyl alcohol that you use to take off the tacky layer. Your systems probably has a product to do this.

Are you using the whole system? You mention using the correct bonder/primer - are they a different system to your gel polish?

i use asp dehydrator, another product for the bonder and yes i was using the nail polish remover. I am so annoyed about this as that is what my instructor taught me :( however relieved in one respect if that is just the problem xx

Thanks Laura x

Ahh well that's good it's acetone free lol.
It's always best to use a full system, but so long as you've used the bonder/primer correctly it should be fine. However they do sometimes do different things, for example with Gelish they use PH Bond, as it restores the ph levels or the natural nails. But scrubfresh from CND is my favorite.

I don't know much about IBD to be honest, I'm sure there is someone on here who does though.
But I suppose I would use isopropyl alcohol rather than polish remover.

Just concentrate on your prep, and usually a thin layer of base coat worked into the nail is needed. This should help prevent lifting. See how you go :)

Laura xx

i use asp dehydrator, another product for the bonder and yes i was using the nail polish remover. I am so annoyed about this as that is what my instructor taught me :( however relieved in one respect if that is just the problem xx
It could definitely be that. Sometimes mixing systems is a bad idea as they're developed to work together so I'd use the full system, instead of a product from here and one from there.

But as LolliDolli said, definitely concentrate on the prep too, as this makes a big difference.

thanks guys xxx

Your welcome let us know how you get on and if you have any more questions xx

Laura xx

Hi Laura I use ibd they have their own bonder called 'powerbond'
Also you need to buy the ibd cleanser to wipe off the inhibition layer. I would use the complete system instead of mixing with others who did you train with I'd u don't mind me asking
P.s hope this helps x

Hi Laura I use ibd they have their own bonder called 'powerbond'
Also you need to buy the ibd cleanser to wipe off the inhibition layer. I would use the complete system instead of mixing with others who did you train with I'd u don't mind me asking
P.s hope this helps x

escape training in Billericay, do you ever have problems as sometime i can have slightly different shade colours on the nails?

wheres the best place to get the bonder and cleanser?

Latest posts

Back