Valentines Day Promotion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremities

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just been contacted by my local newspaper and they are offering me a slot in their special Valentines Editorial promotion.

A credit card sized advert for £50.00

Things are really tight for me right now. Would this be worth doing.

Has anyone had any luck from this form of advertising.

It will be a 4 page editorial and my feeling is a credit card sized ad. would not stand out too much and might be swamped with all the other advertising going on.

Am I wrong? Would my £50 be better spent elsewhere.

Any advice appreciated.

I suppose it depends on the area you live, some have had success but some haven't. Any ads that i have placed in the past i haven't had much repsonse and if i have its because people are purposely been looking for a nail tech and not because they've just stummbled over the ad. In my experience paper ads have not been good but then every1 differs.

i would personally get doing flyers on my pc , i spent loads on newspaper ads and didnt get any clients from it , i had more sucess with flyers and leaving business cards in shops etc , :p
you could print em on the lovely card you can get , and stick little love hearts on , i am gonna go to my local craft shop and see wot they have in stock , it will cost you less than £50 hth :D

I have to agree that paper advertising is not cost effective. A business card ad over 4 pages is not likely to stand out either, so I wouldn't bother if it were me.

I agree too, newspaper advertising has a very low return rate.

Cathy

Sam - don't spend that £50 - not worth it - your fliers will be much better!!

Mrs Geek said:
Sam - don't spend that £50 - not worth it - your fliers will be much better!!

I agree with Mrs G - i used to be a advertisement buyer for a ad agency- i too recomend you avoid the local paper you will won't get the return on your money, if they want to offer you some free editoria then great but other than that - invest in flyers or in stock but not your local rag...

Beware of local newspaper advertising. Prior to opening my salon in December I ran an ad campaign in our local paper - 1st wk 1/4 page ad then 5wks credit card sized. Cost me the grand total of £1776, and guess what - not one booking came out of it!!!! They had also promised me an editorial to run alongside the first ad but never did get that. Since opening most of my new clients have come though walk-ins or recommendation. Costly lesson well learned.

I agree I have a small debt running up with my local paper - not good - They always come sniffing around this time of year but I have found that they are pretty useless! Paper fliers are definetly the best, I also have credit card size price lists with a great piccie on the front simple and effective - you can keep them in your purse and most shops will take them if they have the space.

i advertised a year ago in m local paper nothing came of it!! I then decided to start advertising again keping it consistent for the year so called my local paper to place and advert each month.
Now the one i got last year cost me £30 and i got loads of offers in.....this time it is costing me £60 and i am told i can only fit 2 offers in........the january advert i got one new client si i guess thats paid for the advert.......any way i decided that i wanted one to go n b4 valentines and asked for a £30 one just to offer gift vouchers.....oh no said the woman from the paper you will only fit it in to the £60 box..........in the end i told her to do as she pleased........i totted up my total wording etc etc it came to a total of 19 words........other advertisers in the same section are getting 40+ words at £25.
I honestly think that the paper is trying to fill the space in the nails and beauty section by making me get a bigger advert, but just can't be bothered to design me a decent advert.
The 1st one was incredibly boring and my offers were'nt worded as i had asked..........i just don't have the time to keep chasing this woman so i am goin to give it a couple of months and see what progress i get!!
To be totally honest all of my clients have come from word of mouth but i know how you feel it can be so slow building it up this way!
When i don't have clients i have models who are queing up at the door to have there nails done lol......i don't charge them a penny i just do what i want on their nails and build up my portfolio with pics......it is a great form of advertising too........i give them some business cards and pricelists to carry with them at all times ......they are often asked who does there nails and for my number.
you would'nt believe how many clients i have had from this sort of thing....the waitress from the restaurant........the supermarket cashier.....the petrol station attendant.
so it benefits both me and my models and pretty cheaply too jus a couple of hours of your time!
I also put my business cards every where.......family planning clinics a good one.........doctors............all the clothes stores i ask the manager if she would mind putting them in there staff room.......
I get all my cards from vista print. There was an offer on where you got free business cards and i upgraded to glossy with appointments on the back.....i got 1000 cards for £17.99. Then more recently the calender business card magnets were on offer 10 free and also just business magnets.......i got to lots of each and give them to clients old and new and they are a big hit.
sorry i have waffled !

Latest posts

Back