Vegan/cruelty free hair colours - Paul Mitchell, Affinage, J Beverly Hills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanJudge

Reaction score
I'm in one of my 'no animal products' phases after watching a few documentaries on how the animals are treated at slaughterhouses and animal testing labs; so have been looking at hair colour product lines that don't test on animals.

Paul Mitchell, J Beverly Hills and Affinage are all cruelty free and seem like lovely products. I've read nothing but good things about Affinage on here and Google, but haven't been able to find much on J Beverly Hills.

Has anyone ever had any experience with these colours? They look lovely and the tubes are dead big which is a bonus.
I'm looking for a colour line to use for when I work for myself after finishing my Level 3.
We use L'Oreal in our salon and the things i've read about them have disgusted me... Their involvement with the Nazis, the fact they test on animals. They just dont seem like a nice company.

HELLO? Yes hi, hello!

This is one of the reasons we swapped to the Fudge colour line and there styling range as they are against all animal testing, and we are very pleased with the results.

I use Affinage. I find it fab for reds, coppers anything on the warm side. There's a converter developer that lets you do tone on tone , they also have a seperate Satin colours . They have such a vast selection of colours, the price is fantastic (especially now I'm comparing it to illumina and pastel which I've switched to time with) and the tubes are 100ml and work on a 1:1.5 ration so a little goes a long way! The downside is I find the blondes a little warm !

Last edited:
Have you looked up anything about Aveda? They all plant based I love it!

HELLO? Yes hi, hello!
Lol nice bump o_O

I've only tried 1 affinage but it was fine, j Beverly Hills is supposed to be coming to the UK next year so no idea if that's good or not, I've watched the education videos tho they were good, I've not looked into animal cruelty with regards to hair products it scares me too much! I watched racing extinction this week tho, that was awesome! #make1change I'm not going to buy bottled water any more and your going animal friendly hair dye... Weel save the planet at some point I'm sure!

Lol nice bump o_O

I've only tried 1 affinage but it was fine, j Beverly Hills is supposed to be coming to the UK next year so no idea if that's good or not, I've watched the education videos tho they were good, I've not looked into animal cruelty with regards to hair products it scares me too much! I watched racing extinction this week tho, that was awesome! #make1change I'm not going to buy bottled water any more and your going animal friendly hair dye... Weel save the planet at some point I'm sure!

Haha lets make a petition on Change.org 'Hairdressers against animal testing'...
I emailed the J Beverly Hills London distributor and she's got back to me with a price for 88 of their colours, a shade chart, all the peroxides and lighteners etc.
i'm not wanting to get it yet because I dont finish my course till June, but it's an option.

Did the Affinage come out true to the shade chart?

This is one of the reasons we swapped to the Fudge colour line and there styling range as they are against all animal testing, and we are very pleased with the results.

Are the Fudge colours good? I always imagine them to be for younger people, the way it's branded.

I use Affinage. I find it fab for reds, coppers anything on the warm side. There's a converter developer that lets you do tone on tone , they also have a seperate Satin colours . They have such a vast selection of colours, the price is fantastic (especially now I'm comparing it to illumina and pastel which I've switched to time with) and the tubes are 100ml and work on a 1:1.5 ration so a little goes a long way! The downside is I find the blondes a little warm !

Do you find their high lift tints warm also? When you say the blondes come out warm, how warm?
You mention Illumina, how do you think the results of Affinage compare to Illumina? I know Illumina is meant to be amazing.

Have you looked up anything about Aveda? They all plant based I love it!

I haven't looked into Aveda ya know, are you sure they're cruelty free though? I'm sure I seen something about them being misleading with their animal testing statement. Don't quote me on it though.

Do you find their high lift tints warm also? When you say the blondes come out warm, how warm?
You mention Illumina, how do you think the results of Affinage compare to Illumina? I know Illumina is meant to be amazing.
You can't compare them really? Affinage is obviously heavy pigmented so you get a very dense colour whereas illumina I find is transparent and sheer, far more natural looking. They're great as toners but not really used illumina with anything other than pastel as yet...also violet based so you need to remember that if you have 2 colour lines your using!.. Just find them quite expensive compared to Affinage!! The bases come out warm,more inbetween and 8.0 /8.3 rather than a natural if your using on white hair. I've used if for such a long time though now, colours can be trial and error if your starting on a new line!
Hi lifts are warm, I've yet to use the 12.2 (v) and it look a true match. I think the best thing to do is try them, the colour chart is quite inspiring! You can download it online .I'm not sure if my wholesalers have old KP charts and colour touch but they look so blurghhhh!

Lol nice bump o_O

What's racing extinction?

What's racing extinction?
Oh my gosh grace! You must watch it! It was premiered on almost all of the discovery channels last week, if you have sky try the catch up feature, it was really good it's about the planet and animals and the extinction of all of it

Haha lets make a petition on Change.org 'Hairdressers against animal testing'...
I emailed the J Beverly Hills London distributor and she's got back to me with a price for 88 of their colours, a shade chart, all the peroxides and lighteners etc.
i'm not wanting to get it yet because I dont finish my course till June, but it's an option.

Did the Affinage come out true to the shade chart?
I like that idea :) did they say they'd sell it to you straight away? I thought it wasn't out yet, I love trying out new colour lines :) I only used a 9.3 & a 8.111 in affinage both were true to chart tho ( as if a 9.3 wouldn't be tho ;) )

I haven't looked into Aveda ya know, are you sure they're cruelty free though? I'm sure I seen something about them being misleading with their animal testing statement. Don't quote me on it though.

To get aveda you have to be an aveda salon they will only sell, to one salon in a 30 mile radius and are really strict with salon image and stock bought for example you must have the full backbar range and stock every kind of product for retail

Oh my gosh grace! You must watch it! It was premiered on almost all of the discovery channels last week, if you have sky try the catch up feature, it was really good it's about the planet and animals and the extinction of all of it
Argh, yeah, I'm old skool. Still only have free view! Guess it'll come to regular telly in about 10 years! [emoji17]

Argh, yeah, I'm old skool. Still only have free view! Guess it'll come to regular telly in about 10 years! [emoji17]
It's in our local cinema too maybe check yours :)

Wow, the trailer itself looks amazing.

We all know it's wrong and we all condone it. It has to stop.
Kahuna, watch 'Earthlings' aswell. That is a very hard, graphic film to watch; but it's something we all need to collectively watch to shock us.

Are the Fudge colours good? I always imagine them to be for younger people, the way it's branded.
OMG they are fab, there colour line is called Headpaint, great hi lift tints, fab coverage, 100ml base shades, and tone shades are 60 ml, Reds are amazing and the new cyclamen and new coppers came out last month and they are excellent. I really do recommend.

Latest posts

Back