Vertical splits on nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail angel 67

Reaction score
I now know of 3 people who have a permanent verticlal split in one nail each. This split grows as the nail grows and as soon as it gets past the tip of the finger it catches on everything.

One person knows how it happened a few years back - she hammered her finger by accident and the nail has never grown back properly since. The other 2 don't recall anything happening but say it has been like this for a long time.

2 of them are my regular nail clients and so each time they have their Gelish done I put a piece of silk wrap on the nail and structure gel after the foundation coat and this seems to help them a lot. I've said that it's highly unlikely that it will ever grow properly again as the nail bed is probably permanently damaged.

Am I giving the correct information? Is there anything at all can be done about this?

Thanks geeks!

I now know of 3 people who have a permanent verticlal split in one nail each. This split grows as the nail grows and as soon as it gets past the tip of the finger it catches on everything.

One person knows how it happened a few years back - she hammered her finger by accident and the nail has never grown back properly since. The other 2 don't recall anything happening but say it has been like this for a long time.

2 of them are my regular nail clients and so each time they have their Gelish done I put a piece of silk wrap on the nail and structure gel after the foundation coat and this seems to help them a lot. I've said that it's highly unlikely that it will ever grow properly again as the nail bed is probably permanently damaged.

Am I giving the correct information? Is there anything at all can be done about this?

Thanks geeks!

I've got a client like this and do the same. Can I ask, do you charge her extra to do this? I haven't, but it takes time and product so I'm thinking I'm a bit mad really! Xx

I've got a client like this and do the same. Can I ask, do you charge her extra to do this? I haven't, but it takes time and product so I'm thinking I'm a bit mad really! Xx

Well one of them is my sister who just gives me a contribution each time she has her nails done and the other is a work colleague and no, I haven't been charging her either. I'm a bit of a softy really. Seriously need to toughen up because you're right, not only does it use up extra products but it takes longer too!

It is highly unlikely that these splits will go away. You are doing the right thing by telling them so. Only thing you can do is perform a patching (as you have been doing) or keep them as short as possible.

Oh that's great that I'm doing the right thing. It actually does me a favour as they say they will always have to have something on their nails so they can grow them to a reasonable length. Ooh I am evil! :twisted:

My right thumb nail is like that. It peels at the corner then splits underneath when it reaches a certain length. Keeping some type of overlay on the split-proned nails would definitely help.

Can anyone help me with a vertical nail split?

How do I do a repair to look invisible under ordinary polish?

Thank you

Latest posts

Back