Vinylux-as a consumer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberley-r

Reaction score
I've been using vinylux for personal use for almost a year now I love the colours and application but it never lasts on me. I'm now on day 3 (applied Saturday evening) and have a chip on every nail. Would love it to last 7 days but just doesn't seem to. Also, I find my older bottles are gloppy and unusable! My beau, which was the one I used most often is so thick I can barely use it. It's still half full. So I feel like it's such a waste! Anyone have any advice on how to make it last?

I have the same problem with all my colours being thick and gloopy, almost treacle like after using them twice...it's such a disappointment. As new bottles they go on beautifully but once they have been used a few times I find my colours un usable. I'm going to sell my collection and invest in another polish brand I think....

Chipping could be a sign a few issues. Are your nails long? Are you regularly hydrating them? What about "capping" the free edge when you apply?

Regarding getting thick... this is an unfortunate downside for any faster drying polish. The faster a polish/top coat cures, the faster it will thicken in the bottle. Make sure you roll before you apply as Vinylux is thixotropic (thins with agitation). Also try exchanging a polish application with a friend, you will most likely spend more time with the bottle open when you are applying to yourself (which contributes to thickening).

Hope that helps!

I feel like some of the polishes alredy come on the thicker side and make it difficult to paint. I bought nailtek's polish thinner and I'm going to try adding a little in the polishes. It might compromise dry time but it shouldn't compromise longevity.

My vinylux usually lasts 6-8 days. It's hard to say why your's isnt lasting without seeing how you're doing it. My suggestion would be to first use the system as a whole;

1. Cut and file your nails
2. Use cnd's cuticle away to remove cuticles with a cuticle pusher and curette
3. Wash your hands with soap and water (a must! to remove remover and deactivate it)
4. Dehydrate your nails with scrub fresh
5. Apply 2 coats of a vinylux color. How are your polishing skills? It's important to apply polish properly for longevity. Each nail should take you about 3 strokes of the brush and you must leave a tiny margin around the nail. Be sure to cap your edges. I don't do it as a seperate motion, I do it as Im polishing. Also, when polishing you shouldnt touch your cuticles nor the sides of your nails. In fact, there should be almost no cleanup for you to do at the end.
6. Apply top coat. You want the top coat to float onto your nails so don't be shy with it! Your top coat brush shouldnt pick up any color and should be applied fairly thickly, but dont over do it!
7. Apply cnd's Solar Oil EVERYDAY! This will keep your polish flexible so it doesn't chip and it will do wonders for your nails and cuticles! Apply some to your cuticles and on the undersides of your nails (underneath the free edge)

When I was doing shellac with my nail tech it would ALWAYS lift in less than a week. Then I finally figured out that for me it was really important to do a thourough job of removing my cuticles and the tech, although using cuticle away, still wasn't doing a good job. Once I started to remove my own cuticles before I saw her, my shellac started lasting 2 weeks. Eventually the salon expense was too much for me so I started doing Vinylux on my own. At first I was only getting 4-5 days with it. Then when I started using scrub fresh to dehydrate my nails instead of alcohol, and I got the full week's wear.

So I hope someething in there is of help to you!

PS: everything The Geek said too! Just want to add that you can shake the vinylux colors instead of rolling. Also the top coat should NOT be shaken or rolled.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone :) because I'm just using it for myself I can't really afford to buy all the CND preparation stuff like cuticle away and scrub fresh. I just would have thought as a polish that anyone can buy it wouldn't need to be used as a whole system like shellac etc. (I know you have to use the top coat).

I absolutely love it when I first get it, it's the perfect consistency and goes on so easily, just a shame it doesn't last. I like to change colours often too so have quite a few bottles of it! X

I do have solar oil and use it everyday, as well as hand cream :)

Hi Kimberly-r,

Where are you buying your Vinylux from? A local salon?

I would recommend asking them to retail you a mini scrubfresh. It won't be too expensive and will really help to dehydrate the nail plate before application. You can rehydrate afterwards with your solar oil.

Give your bottles a really good shake too. Make sure the lids are on really tight and the bottle necks are clean (dried polish will stop you getting a tight seal on the lid).

I've got lots of colours, some around a year old and none are thick or gloppy so stick with it 😊

The scrub fresh and the cuticle away will last you FOREVER! I promise! I've been using mine for months and I've barely made a dent in them. You only use very little each time. And a giod naul dehydrator should be used with every manicure anyways to get lasting results. So whether you use vinylux or not, you should have one.

Hi Kimberly-r,

Where are you buying your Vinylux from? A local salon?

I would recommend asking them to retail you a mini scrubfresh. It won't be too expensive and will really help to dehydrate the nail plate before application. You can rehydrate afterwards with your solar oil.

Give your bottles a really good shake too. Make sure the lids are on really tight and the bottle necks are clean (dried polish will stop you getting a tight seal on the lid).

I've got lots of colours, some around a year old and none are thick or gloppy so stick with it 😊

Hi,
If you have has yours over a year and they are still not thick, what am I doing wrong? I've had mine less time and barely use them as most of my clients have Gelish, but some are rediculously thick and I can't use them. Lids always on tight.
Thanks x

Hi,
If you have has yours over a year and they are still not thick, what am I doing wrong? I've had mine less time and barely use them as most of my clients have Gelish, but some are rediculously thick and I can't use them. Lids always on tight.
Thanks x

Do you keep them in sunlight? Bottle necks clean etc? I keep mine in a cupboard so maybe that helps :)

I've had my initial Vinylux bottles for a year now and they're not thick. I have had to replace the top coat every month but I store them in a cool place away from sunlight and paint quickly! I give all my clients a demo and a lesson on how to apply before thy leave. Make sure you shake. When I do clients nails they get on average 10 days, they do it and get 4-7 days. Still, not bad for a 'normal' nail varnish!!

No, mine aren't stored in sunlight. It's such a shame as I won't use it for clients anymore as most of my popular colours are too thick to work with, and these are ones bought recently to replace previously thick bottles. I shake before use. Not sure why, mystery!

No, mine aren't stored in sunlight. It's such a shame as I won't use it for clients anymore as most of my popular colours are too thick to work with, and these are ones bought recently to replace previously thick bottles. I shake before use. Not sure why, mystery!

I have the same problem, I am now not replacing them, which is a shame, but in this area Vinylux has never really took off, so I am not replacing it anymore as its not worth the hassle or expense :(

Latest posts

Back