Vinylux

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpot

Reaction score
Thoughts on vinylux please? I've just noticed some people have stopped using it & I was going to order the starter pack soon. Any info would be appreciated.

With most people it takes a lot of practice to get right because it's a lot thicker than normal polish. When I tried using it I couldn't get it right because I was used to using OPI, which is thinner. So, I gave up after a while .... not very patient .... Good thing is it dries faster and lasts longer than other polishes so it's worth sticking at if you like it. I'm going to be trying again when I have time.

Good Luck :)

Its absolutely fabulous for clients with natural nails. If you can learn to "float" it on instead of trying to paint it like traditional polish you will increase your clients wear on traditional polish, Some of my ladies who have good nails can wear it for up to 10 days.

I love it... It's taken me a while but iv finally mastered it and iv not had any problems in a while now... You can't be heavy handed with it you have to fully load your brush float it on and most importantly work FAST with these skills it's fabulous ☺️

There is no base coat and if you have ridges in nails they can show sometimes. I love it. I tell all my clients use solar oil and it keeps it shiny and conditioned. Same as for shellac. I took to it super fast. I use the 3 stroke rule. Also I have ridges in my nails and I just add another coat of color.:)
Make sure you do not put it under lamp to dry, it dries fast by itself.

I've just bought some hot pop pink and the top coat to see what I thought.

I did the floating over nails with plenty of polish and tried it on two friends.

I managed fine with smaller nails, but struggled to get enough on the brush for bigger /longer nails. Any tips? Other than working faster - I'll try and get it on quicker too

Thank you for replies.
I might just get one colour & a top coat & see how that goes. I have loads of polishes left so I don't want to get the starter pack & then not like it. I do love that they are an exact colour match for Shellac though that's what really draws me to it.
I also had a few clients asking me about it who don't want the same colour on for 2+ weeks so it seems like a good alternative.

I did the floating over nails with plenty of polish and tried it on two friends.

I managed fine with smaller nails, but struggled to get enough on the brush for bigger /longer nails. Any tips? Other than working faster - I'll try and get it on quicker too

Only thing you can do is keep practising. Use some spare tips if you have any around.

I recently removed my 8 week old vinylux from my toes and apart from the growth it was as perfect and shiny as the day I applied it :)

I find some of the colours easier to use than others too, but most of my clients have Shellac so don't get to use the vinylux as often as I would like.

I'm not keen on the brushes. They don't help.

I mainly use mine for toes now, but have tried Cuccio nail polish with Lumos top and base coat and it dries really quickly. Goes on much better too. The Vinylux top coat thickens too quickly in the bottle.

I find I only get to use about half a bottle of top coat before it becomes too thick which isn't ideal but it's so cheap to buy it isn't a deal breaker for me.

I find I only get to use about half a bottle of top coat before it becomes too thick which isn't ideal but it's so cheap to buy it isn't a deal breaker for me.

I must polish quicker than you because I get a bit more out of mine, but if you only get to use half a bottle, as a professional, my clients that buy it for home use won't even get that much. I don't think it's that cheap in comparison to other products and they don't either if they cant use much of it.

I have heard that the colours aren't an exact match for Shellac, but I don't use it so cannot confirm it. Maybe someone that uses it can.

I completely adore it but understand why some have problems with it, especially if you're not used to polish or been using gel polish for a long time.

As others have said; you have to work confidently, quickly and the 3 stroke rule works a treat. Some colours can be more trying, for me its the light chalky ones like Cake Pop & Mint convertible. If clients have bad ridges I give them a gentle buff with a 3 way buffer (no more than if you were doing a shine/no polish mani). I don't have a problem with the top coat and rarely waste much if any. I still use Solar Speed Dry but that more because I'm in love with it rather than needing it and Clients regularly get 5-7days with most getting 7-10 out of it, I've one 82yr old who gets 3-4 weeks from hers (bless).

Karaxxx

I'm not keen on the brushes. They don't help.

I mainly use mine for toes now, but have tried Cuccio nail polish with Lumos top and base coat and it dries really quickly. Goes on much better too. The Vinylux top coat thickens too quickly in the bottle.

. . . So the lumos you use with any - what does it last like on fingers?

When you say the three stroke rule I'm presuming thats where you apply down the middle & sides in just three strokes? What about touch ups etc where you haven't got far enough into the sides, will it them drag the polish as you go back over it? Can you tidy it up as well afterwards with nail polish remover?

. . . So the lumos you use with any - what does it last like on fingers?

I use the Lumos top and base with any colours. I like Cuccio polish, it goes on like a dream. I also have lots of Mavala polishes which I love, small handy bottles, great price, popular with clients and good quality. I've used this for over 30 years.
Cuccio do matching gels and polishes, but a lot of geeks here use Megamix gel (search for the thread) which allows you to make a gel out of any polish and is surprisingly good. And a VERY good price.

When you say the three stroke rule I'm presuming thats where you apply down the middle & sides in just three strokes? What about touch ups etc where you haven't got far enough into the sides, will it them drag the polish as you go back over it? Can you tidy it up as well afterwards with nail polish remover?

I never tidy up. Don't need to, but then I have been polishing for a long time now. With the first coat, you place the contours with your polish, so a thin coat only and top up then if you need to. Then with your second coat, do the three strokes with a generous amount of polish, using the first coat as your guideline. You wont need to tidy up like this.

I completely adore it but understand why some have problems with it, especially if you're not used to polish or been using gel polish for a long time.

As others have said; you have to work confidently, quickly and the 3 stroke rule works a treat. Some colours can be more trying, for me its the light chalky ones like Cake Pop & Mint convertible. If clients have bad ridges I give them a gentle buff with a 3 way buffer (no more than if you were doing a shine/no polish mani). I don't have a problem with the top coat and rarely waste much if any. I still use Solar Speed Dry but that more because I'm in love with it rather than needing it and Clients regularly get 5-7days with most getting 7-10 out of it, I've one 82yr old who gets 3-4 weeks from hers (bless).

Karaxxx

Doug Schoon has a really good article about why we shouldn't buff ridges anymore. It's worth a read if you've not seen it. I'll try and find a link.

Thanks ch-ela. Having founds gels that I love using - finding a normal polish brand is starting right back at square one!

How long do you find the base and top coats last with the other polishes?

I've never even heard of mavala - I'll go looking now :D

Doug Schoon has a really good article about why we shouldn't buff ridges anymore. It's worth a read if you've not seen it. I'll try and find a link.

Oooo that would be good, I'd be really interested in that - thank you.

It really is a very light buff, only on a tiny percentage of clients and certainly not every time they come back. Most of the time I just do an extra coat or just go over the nails that are bad.

Karaxxx

Latest posts

Back