Vitagel, does it work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldinic

Reaction score
Hi I listened to this too. I love nail talk radio. What did it for me is that they quote Doug Schoon saying that it won't have any affect on the nail. I use Gelish and was interested in vitagel but I think I will wait. I would like to know further on down the line when techs have been using it for some time.xx

I got some of the Vitagel Recovery from the show on Sunday & am trialling it on myself before telling customers what it's like.
Mainly cause at the mo my nails are very weak & need something to help them, am hoping this is the answer.

The stuff its self is slightly thick with a yellow hint (maybe it's all those vitamins inside) but dries clear, put 2 thin coats on, then 2 colour & 1 top it off. I know the colour may not last as long without the Foundation, but i don't like not having some kind of colour on my nails.

Did they say at the show that you may not get the longevity you usually get from gelish with this as a base instead?

Did they say at the show that you may not get the longevity you usually get from gelish with this as a base instead?

I'm fairly sure I remember being told 10 - 14 days, likely on the lower end of that scale. Not a problem for me as I'm struggling to keep my colour on for five days before I'm bored and desperate to change it! I must admit that I am curious but want to see how well it works on others before committing.

I don't know about Vitagel specifically but this was interesting Nail Strengtheners: What . We know we can improve nail quality by using a good quality cuticle oil to keep it properly hydrated and nourished, nails might be made up of dead cells but they are absorbent. When you think about it you wouldn't not condition your hair because it's dead would you? Imagine how dry and weak it would be. Nail strengtheners/conditioners have been around for years, this is just the next generation. Having said that though I've found that using Gelish in itself is often enough to improve nails because of the protective coating so it'll be interesting to see what effect it does have.

I was told by one of the Gelish staff at the show that it does NOT last as long as it does with Foundation BECAUSE it is meant to be used as a course of 6 treatments with client coming to you every 2 weeks.

After this 6 week treatment the client should be seeing a difference.

Im not convinced yet myself as I can't see the science behind it. I've seen many of my clients nails get stronger just through normal Gelish wear, some worse cases with Structure Gel, and for those with flaking nails the Solar Oil tends to do the trick ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I was told by one of the Gelish staff at the show that it does NOT last as long as it does with Foundation BECAUSE it is meant to be used as a course of 6 treatments with client coming to you every 2 weeks.

After this 6 week treatment the client should be seeing a difference.

Im not convinced yet myself as I can't see the science behind it. I've seen many of my clients nails get stronger just through normal Gelish wear, some worse cases with Structure Gel, and for those with flaking nails the Solar Oil tends to do the trick ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hmm ok, it does concern me that if it doesn't last as long and the client wants a gelish colour over the top and it starts to chip then that in itself over time isn't going to do the natural nails much good. I'm sill so confused by this product, is it best to use on its own or as a conditioning base under Gelish (that apparently wont last as well!) or is it best used as a base under normal polish.

Confused.com :)

Sorry for not getting back earlier .... i cant remember, i think i saw it on here about the "colour doesn't stay on as long as long as foundation" thing.

But it does make sense if you think that it's like a booster treatment rather than a normal gelish application.

I used it today on a new client who suffers weak nails after apparently "Gelish with a previous tech ruined my nails" ..... i asked how the product was removed & yep .... "it was lifting at the edges, so i peeled it off" !!

So i explained how simple soaking off was, not to peel off again etc etc, fingers crossed she listened & will be calling me in a couple of weeks to remove/reapply.

I wonder if the best thing would be to use it when we are doing french ...so just as a foundation and make a white line with Gelish maybe it would not chip!

Latest posts

Back