vtct nvq level 2 - any problems being recognised?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfectbeauty

Reaction score
hi - not sure if anyone else had this

i did VTCT nvq level 2 in beauty therapy 2 years ago and then took a year off - i have now gone to a different college to do level 3 but it is edexcel nvq level 3 - been there since sept - i do not have units G6 and G11 the course leader has now told me that VTCT do not do NVQ level 2 - even though my certificate states this - she said i must have done a beauty consultantcy course as thats all VTCT offer(she hasnt seen cerificate yet - am taking it in next week)
she states that unit G6 and G11 were mandatory on level 2 - my units were called BU01, BU02 BU03 thru to BU09 - my actual tutor is not doing G6 and G11 units as everybody else in my class has done them - so they are trying to sort out me doing these units at another time - although issue has now come up that to do level 3 - it is a pre-requisite that i have done level 2 nvq - so that is why i have to take my certificates in

sorry if long winded - but point was my course leader is adamant that i must have done these 2 units on NVQ level 2 - i have tried to tell her that the titles for those unit were level 3 at the previous college i went to - but am getting no where

anybody out there who knows why there would be difference between colleges if NVQ are supposed to be standardised

thanks in advance

nicola
x

What exactly are the units hun. And yes you can get a full NVQ from VTCT in Beauty Therapy, levels 2 & 3.

hi

they are G6 - promote additional products or services to clients
and G11 0 contribute to the financial effectiveness of the business

in the level 2 nvq i did - it was reception unit, workinging relationships with colleagues and clients unit and support health and safety in the salon unit - but my tutor says that i can cross ref the health and safety unit from level 2 to the unit g1 - ensure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety unit on level 3 - it is just the other 2 that i havent got

although - my tutor said that i could probably cross reference the reception unit on level 2 to the G11 unit on level 3 - even though to me they are 2 different things - they are looking at that i complete a workbook with written questions or join another class for these 2 units

thanks
nicola
x

Your tutor is not correct.I have my NVQ level 2 and 3 both with VTCT.My daughter also did level 2 last year also VTCT.

Dont know why your college tutor has said this as not correct at all.Will have a look at what units I covered in level 2.Got to dig paperwork out.

Ok just had a look at my paperwork and these are the units in NVQ 2 vtct I covered,units 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9.So, I havn't covered these units so therefor they could NOT have been mandatory.This being the case why would I have been allowed to go on to do my level 3?

Personally sounds like she's got the wrong end of the stick to me.

At least you can cross ref these,they are changing everything all the time,does get confusing.

hi thanks for replying

i know!!! - but she made me doubt myself for a minute and had to check my certificate when i got home - she even telling me that the units are not called BU01 etc - -cant wait to see what she says when i take the certificate in next week and it is there in black and white - i think it must be because she only dealt with edexcel NVQ and not VTCT - but i cant believe she is so closed mind that she doesnt know there are other awarding bodies out there -or doesnt know what is covered - she did a good job in trying to make feel like i didnt know what i was talking about - but didnt succeed

i'm lucky as because i am mature student (34) i can challenge people (in a constructive way) if they are wrong but i dread to think how some one a lot younger would have dealt with this

i have the lorraine nordmann officail guide to level 3 nvq beauty therapy book and the breakdown of these 2 units is definitely not what i studied at level 2

thanks again
nicola
x

No probs Nicola,and yes they are listed as BU01,etc etc.

It's funny as when you're youger you can feel quite intimidated by these lecturers as you have said.I was a mature student and I noticed a big difference with how lecturers would speak to the younger ones and then how they would speak to me.

I have the NVQ level 3 beauty therapy book by Jane Hiscock and Elaine Stoddart,that's very good but if you're doing a different type of NVQ then best to stick with the book the college is using eh!!!

Let us know how much she grovels,when you show her your certificates.LOL:hug:

HI, I am currently doing a vtct nvq level 2 beauty therapy course. The units we are doing do include G6 and G11, but it could just be that these are a recent thing and the ones you did were the equivalent. Definately take your certificates in and take it higher if you have to. Good luck xx

HI, I am currently doing a vtct nvq level 2 beauty therapy course. The units we are doing do include G6 and G11, but it could just be that these are a recent thing and the ones you did were the equivalent. Definately take your certificates in and take it higher if you have to. Good luck xx
I have a feeling that those units were covered in level 3,I didn't have to do them though because I was already working in a salon so these units were cross referenced.I just had to take a letter in from my boss to say I was actually covering these units,Which obviously you would do if working in a salon.

If your in a salon now Nichola ask your tutor if the same can be done for you.Good luck.

I have done VTCT level 2 in my assesment book you have to do G1, G6, G8, BT 4, BT 9, BT 10, and there are optional units of BT 5,6,7,8,12,13,14 and 15. My assesment book is titled 2004 -2009 when did you start your course cos it may have changed.

G1-Health and Safety
G6-Sales and Services
G8-Develop your effectiveness at work
BT4- Facial
BT5- Eyelash and eyebrow treatments
BT6- Waxing
BT7-Manivure
BT8- Pedicure
BT9-Make up
BT10- Promote make-up
BT11 False eyelashes
BT12- Extend and Maintain nails
BT13- Nail Art
BT14 Ear Piercing
BT15 Assist with spa treatments.

Just looked at my level 3 book as well and it is G1 G6 and G11 but we are referencing it to G8 from level 2.

Then we are doing BT 16,17 18,19

AND

BT 20-36 are optional but you must do one.

I have done VTCT level 2 in my assesment book you have to do G1, G6, G8, BT 4, BT 9, BT 10, and there are optional units of BT 5,6,7,8,12,13,14 and 15. My assesment book is titled 2004 -2009 when did you start your course cos it may have changed.

G1-Health and Safety
G6-Sales and Services
G8-Develop your effectiveness at work
BT4- Facial
BT5- Eyelash and eyebrow treatments
BT6- Waxing
BT7-Manivure
BT8- Pedicure
BT9-Make up
BT10- Promote make-up
BT11 False eyelashes
BT12- Extend and Maintain nails
BT13- Nail Art
BT14 Ear Piercing
BT15 Assist with spa treatments.
This is quite different from last year.My daughter did it and didn't cover spa treatments,extending nails,nail art or ear piercing.How funny how much these things change in such little time.

It's great though,would have saved me a fortune in having to do all the extras on top of my course.

They are just optional extras that the college will choose from they have to pick at leat one. But for example my college chose 5. Mani, pedi, false eyelashes, waxing and improve eyebrow and eleylashes

I did the VTCT NVQ2 beauty therapy general route last year and both the G6 and G11 were compulsary units.

I did VTCT L2 Beauty and I am doing doing NVQ L3 Beauty. This week I asked my tutor what the difference was and she said there was none. VTCT is only set out differently and have 'Ms' instead of 'Bs' like in NVQ!
They are the same governing body

Sounds like your tutor needs to do some more research on the governing bodies to me!

hi

just checked my certificate and it is dated july 2004 so i started it in sept 2003

so it must have changed in the academic year after i qualified and that is why i didnt cover these units

well as long as they can see i have got level 2 nvq then i can continue with course and just do the units i havent got by written workbook by the looks of it

im just disappointed in the way that she handled the situation and given that she is not only a tutor but course leader for some of the other tutors you would think that she know more about this and accept what i was saying not just dismiss me as being incorrect - maybe i just caught her on a bad day .lol.

thanks for everybody checking what they covered themselves
nicola
x

Direct her to the VTCT website. I believe there are 3 awarding bodies who offer an NVQ in beauty therapy VTCT, Edexcel & City & Guilds. (The last two might be the same - not sure)

Wouldn't really instill me with confidence studying somewhere that didn't know all the types of qualifications.

hi - not sure if anyone else had this

i did VTCT nvq level 2 in beauty therapy 2 years ago and then took a year off - i have now gone to a different college to do level 3 but it is edexcel nvq level 3 - been there since sept - i do not have units G6 and G11 the course leader has now told me that VTCT do not do NVQ level 2 - even though my certificate states this - she said i must have done a beauty consultantcy course as thats all VTCT offer(she hasnt seen cerificate yet - am taking it in next week)
she states that unit G6 and G11 were mandatory on level 2 - my units were called BU01, BU02 BU03 thru to BU09 - my actual tutor is not doing G6 and G11 units as everybody else in my class has done them - so they are trying to sort out me doing these units at another time - although issue has now come up that to do level 3 - it is a pre-requisite that i have done level 2 nvq - so that is why i have to take my certificates in

sorry if long winded - but point was my course leader is adamant that i must have done these 2 units on NVQ level 2 - i have tried to tell her that the titles for those unit were level 3 at the previous college i went to - but am getting no where

anybody out there who knows why there would be difference between colleges if NVQ are supposed to be standardised

thanks in advance

nicola
x
Hi
I also live in Wakefield and have just done vtct level 2-G1 G4 G6 BT4-BT9. Some level 2 follow the VR route of health and safety etc, but I think youll find that the reason you haven't the correct units is that vtct overhaul the course every 4 years or so-I'm almost sure my friend did same units as you at Whitwood. Her portfolio is completely different to mine even tho I was at Whitwood too but 2 years later doing the same course! Might be worth comparing content of yours with the newer version to see if you can accredit some work-surely this must happen all the time!

Latest posts

Back