Was I too honest?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBIC

Reaction score
Hi

Am looking to change jobs. I work in a spa and to be honest am a bit fed up with just massage and one type of facial and would love to work somewhere with say electrical facial equipment or more of a cosmeseutical range. Also the money is the biggest joke ever and after being there for nearly two years there is no payrise in sight and the fact that it is attached to a hotel is a problem because I feel that they think they can get away with paying you peanuts and working you to death.

Anyway there was a job going at a salon locally and I was really interested in the fact that they had a real variety on the facial front (approx five different facials offers). So eventually I applied and the owner phoned me on ask me in for an interview. I thought it best to be upfront on the telephone and said that I do some work from home and mobile and just wanted to check this wouldn't be a problem and whether there would be an exclusion zone in place in the contract. The fact that the salon and my home are in the same town. She then phoned me to cancel as she said it had made her a bit nervous what I had said.

In all honesty I'm not looking to work somewhere as well as working for myself to steal clients I am quite capable of advertising myself it is more for job security, a bit of training occasionally and working with other people.

Was I too honest and should I have not mentioned it? Just didn't want to get two months down the line and she realise that is what I did and get sacked for not mentioning it!

I also really frown on people working mobile in the same area as the salon, too much temptation to solicit people to do at home. So many people have done this to me in the past that I am really edgy now.
Plus there is often the attitude that people don't want to make the salon money, just do the minimum for the pay and concentrate their energy on their home clients.

I also really frown on people working mobile in the same area as the salon, too much temptation to solicit people to do at home. So many people have done this to me in the past that I am really edgy now.
Plus there is often the attitude that people don't want to make the salon money, just do the minimum for the pay and concentrate their energy on their home clients.

Well she was fine when I asked her and she said she realised people in this industry work for themselves. She probably isn't used to people being so upfront with her but that is just the way I am.

I would have wait and say that after an interview. It is easier to smooth an info face to face, you see reaction, you can talk about it. You have a chace to introduce yourself and get warm feelings. By phone it is just "Oh! eee, so thank you".
Personally I think, home clients and salons clients are two types of clients and they do not mix. So I would not mind as salon owner, as long as you do not "steal" clients offering the same treatment at home for lower price. :)

Good luck with looking for new job. Maybe call her once again? And explein your point of wiev and avertise yourself a little? You have nothing to loose.

I would have wait and say that after an interview. It is easier to smooth an info face to face, you see reaction, you can talk about it. You have a chace to introduce yourself and get warm feelings. By phone it is just "Oh! eee, so thank you".
Personally I think, home clients and salons clients are two types of clients and they do not mix. So I would not mind as salon owner, as long as you do not "steal" clients offering the same treatment at home for lower price. :)

Good luck with looking for new job. Maybe call her once again? And explein your point of wiev and avertise yourself a little? You have nothing to loose.

We live and learn. Yes will think twice for next time! I think I will leave it and not chase. I think I was one of the last to reply to the ad so i should imagine she has filled it. Apparently she had a huge response!

Latest posts

Back