Waxing eyebrows - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahkate

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new here! Hello!

I really need some advice. I've been a beautician for 7 years now and I absolutely hate waxing Eyebrows!
I had a bad experience when I first qualified and made someones eyebrow very sore and it put me off for years. I have now started my own business and wanted to tackle this.
I started eyebrow waxing again and I regained my confidence and was doing really well, then it happened again. Now, it has happened to two of my clients in the last month.
It is always on the same eyebrow (clients right eyebrow) and the skin goes very sore, red and seems like the first layer of skin has been lifted off. I have checked temp of wax, how tight I am holding skin and I use an organic natural tea tree wax also.

I just don't know what I am doing wrong! Some clients are fine, others seem to react like this, and always with the right eyebrow. Has anyone else had this problem? I feel so awful when it happens and I'm starting to debate just packing in doing eyebrows all together. :(

Hey guys,

I'm new here! Hello!

I really need some advice. I've been a beautician for 7 years now and I absolutely hate waxing Eyebrows!
I had a bad experience when I first qualified and made someones eyebrow very sore and it put me off for years. I have now started my own business and wanted to tackle this.
I started eyebrow waxing again and I regained my confidence and was doing really well, then it happened again. Now, it has happened to two of my clients in the last month.
It is always on the same eyebrow (clients right eyebrow) and the skin goes very sore, red and seems like the first layer of skin has been lifted off. I have checked temp of wax, how tight I am holding skin and I use an organic natural tea tree wax also.

I just don't know what I am doing wrong! Some clients are fine, others seem to react like this, and always with the right eyebrow. Has anyone else had this problem? I feel so awful when it happens and I'm starting to debate just packing in doing eyebrows all together. :(

I'm assuming you're using strip wax? Why don't you try hot/non strip wax as it doesn't stick to the skin only the hair so you don't get sore bits. x

If it's always the same side could it be the way you're pulling the strip? Maybe because you're left/right handed one side is more awkward for you? I'm left handed and if I stand on the left side of the bed I find it very hard to pull the right eyebrow strip correctly. Could you be pulling it upwards rather than backwards on itself. That's the only reason I can think of since you're doing everything else right.

Skin grazes can be down to many things. It may be just coincidence it's happened on the same eye twice.

It's so important to keep on top of client record cards, go over this every time they're in and get them to sign. Make sure nothing has changed e.g have they started any new medication, changed moisturisers (containing aha's, steroid creams) had any sunbeds/steam/saunas in the last 48hrs microdermabrasion/skin peels ect all can lead to tearing.

Are you going over the area more than once with the wax? Are you rubbing to vigorously when cleansing the eye prior to waxing?

It could also just be that these clients have very sensitive skin, so in future I would use a barrier (be aware that once this has happened the skin in that area will be more sensitive, and prone to tearing so be very careful) apply a little mineral make up to the area that you will be waxing (or switch to a hot wax)

One last thing to add is just make sure you give really good aftercare advice to these clients and follow up with them to see how the skin is healing. Just so avoid any repicusions. Xx

I agree that it might be the way that you pull it off the brow on one side.

I take it that you cut small strips? Try using only half or less of the strip and throw it and get a new bit so that there's not wax on the strip already as this can tug the skin, especially once the wax has cooled.

Hope that helps.

I'm assuming you're using strip wax? Why don't you try hot/non strip wax as it doesn't stick to the skin only the hair so you don't get sore bits. x

Yes, using Strip Wax... I've not trained in Hot Wax so I'm a little worried about using it?

Skin grazes can be down to many things. It may be just coincidence it's happened on the same eye twice.

It's so important to keep on top of client record cards, go over this every time they're in and get them to sign. Make sure nothing has changed e.g have they started any new medication, changed moisturisers (containing aha's, steroid creams) had any sunbeds/steam/saunas in the last 48hrs microdermabrasion/skin peels ect all can lead to tearing.

Are you going over the area more than once with the wax? Are you rubbing to vigorously when cleansing the eye prior to waxing?

It could also just be that these clients have very sensitive skin, so in future I would use a barrier (be aware that once this has happened the skin in that area will be more sensitive, and prone to tearing so be very careful) apply a little mineral make up to the area that you will be waxing (or switch to a hot wax)

One last thing to add is just make sure you give really good aftercare advice to these clients and follow up with them to see how the skin is healing. Just so avoid any repicusions. Xx

Thank you for your advice. I think it may be that I am working from the right side with the right brow. As when I work on the left brow, I worked from the right and have no problems. Maybe I am pulling the wax strip up a little as opposed to across?
I do keep onto of clients records, and use very gentle products and provide aftercare advice.
Thanks again.

I used a strip sugar wax works exactly like normal strip wax but only sticks to the hairs

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back