Ways into the hair industry if you're 30?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this is any use but I was searching for a course for my partner a few days ago on the Stonebridge website and Noticed they are doing the combined level 2 and level 3 in hairdressing with the 24+ advanced loan, I think, it's evenings in Birmingham, Leeds and/or Yorkshire

Hi everyone
I really need some advice I'm 30 and have already started a small business on social media selling human remy weft hair extensions (weave). I used to do hair on the side for friends and family but I've never tried to call myself a stylist. I would like to get my NVQ level 2 hairdressing at least but I'm not sure what's best in regards to college, apprenticeships, fast track courses even hair extensions course so I could start to install my extensions and take clients. I have basic afro hair care skills (cornrows, relaxers treatment's wash&blow dry etc) but would like to Lean to look after European hair too along with cutting and styling.

I had a saks apprenticeship I started in August 15 but the woman said Im not in to hair and let me go but this is not the case. I feel that the chances getting an apprenticeship at my age are very slim. I was thinking of taking a hair extensions course as a way of gaining insurance so i could work and save to pay for my NVQ but this can also be tricky I'm reading I'm already registered self employed and in not making millions so funding is an issue has any advice please
anyone started training late as a novice?
Can anyone recommend a training provider?
30 is where life begins:) We do offer training in hair extensions if that's where you want to go in to. x

I dont understand I went back and retook my level 2 and 3 age 46 my fees were paid for as an adult learner, the only trouble I had was getting a placement but college had an extra evening which was optional,I was the only one who turned up for a year with clients so I got one to one with the tutor. Go see your local college they really try to help you regardless of age,finances,and they have lots of funding in place to help.I was even entitled to a reduction in coucil tax while I wAs there.
Hi I am 47 and BUT having a Career Change and now going to college in September for level 2.cost £750.I am finding it HARD to find a placement,SO I rang SAKS and their course is 3,200, but need 20% deposit of 650. saks said the college qualification is a VRQ?? and I should go with Saks, which is nvq level2. much better apparently, Any views on this??

This is what I'm thinking to do I've been offered the space to practice and learn at a friends salon till next year and there's a course in march I sell human hair so I still have that until September if needs be what do you guys think about hair extensions courses I was thinking to try in the mean time. I'm eager to get started lol
I do not know or understand all of how your system works but I do know that every time you seek to improve yourself or accomplish anything you will be met with some kind of opposition and one day you will realize you were not old at all .

Saks hairdressers told me not to go to college for the level 2 at £750.
Saks said go with them for £3,200 and do a nvq level 2 with them in 34 weeks, but will need 650 deposit and also the college only do VRQ. Which is rubbish apprantley ,im confused which one to go with saks or college,

Saks hairdressers told me not to go to college for the level 2 at £750.
Saks said go with them for £3,200 and do a nvq level 2 with them in 34 weeks, but will need 650 deposit and also the college only do VRQ. Which is rubbish apprantley ,im confused which one to go with saks or college,
I thought you couldn't do full time? The VRQ is NOT rubbish it is the same as an NVQ

VRQ has replaced NVQ here in our local colleges. That's what I did as level 2. Re enrolled for level 3 in sept again. Though they have binned the p/t level 3 in the city campus where I was hoping to go. So fingers crossed different tutor this year for practical class.
They cover same stuff but I think there are less assessments with VRQ. But I maybe wrong. If you can afford the saks route I would do that.

I thought you couldn't do full time? The VRQ is NOT rubbish it is the same as an NVQ
Hi cant do full time. I work full time during the day, I only have weekends off or on a evening. saks are trying to persuade me to go with them to get the nvq level 2, but price 3200,Also 2 nights a week. college said go with them 750 but its a vrq. Saks said the vrq is rubbish.as vrq only work with doll heads, saks provide real life human models. Both teaching places Don't offer salon experience .you have to find your own.so what do I do? hairdressing salons are only for 16-24 I think with apprentices. unless I give my full time job up and don't have any money to pay for my home, bills ..

Naughty Saks are misleading you.
I did VRQ level 2&3 at college then Sassoon Academy, plus other short courses. Even with Saks, after level 2 realistically, you won't be ready for salon work as level 2 is very basic. You need to do level 3 afterwards if only to get to grips with colouring. It's practical experience that's essential once you have understood the foundations. A bit like learning to drive. You need hours of driving on your own before you start to feel really confident.

For VRQ, you have to pass your practical assessments on real people including doing a good consultation. I think you can pass the Perm unit on dolls heads if you can't get a model but that will be a last resort option.

The only difference between the two is that for NVQ at college, you must have a salon placement but most colleges offering VRQ use their own college salon for the practical training. I went in and spent extra hours in the college salon at the discretion of my lovely level 3 tutor. Definitely check out all the colleges within traveling distance and visit them if possible. You've probably left it too late for this year but try and nab a student at the coffee break and ask them what they think of the course. They may all offer VRQ women's hairdressing, but they will all have their own way of teaching.

To be honest, I think the biggest difference between any training course is mostly down to the tutors and that can vary hugely! I briefly went to a hairdressing academy with a sneery tutor who wasn't keen on teaching anyone above 25 so, I voted with my feet and left.

Naughty Saks are misleading you.
I did VRQ level 2&3 at college then Sassoon Academy, plus other short courses. Even with Saks, after level 2 realistically, you won't be ready for salon work as level 2 is very basic. You need to do level 3 afterwards if only to get to grips with colouring. It's practical experience that's essential once you have understood the foundations. A bit like learning to drive. You need hours of driving on your own before you start to feel really confident.

For VRQ, you have to pass your practical assessments on real people including doing a good consultation. I think you can pass the Perm unit on dolls heads if you can't get a model but that will be a last resort option.

The only difference between the two is that for NVQ at college, you must have a salon placement but most colleges offering VRQ use their own college salon for the practical training. I went in and spent extra hours in the college salon at the discretion of my lovely level 3 tutor. Definitely check out all the colleges within traveling distance and visit them if possible. You've probably left it too late for this year but try and nab a student at the coffee break and ask them what they think of the course. They may all offer VRQ women's hairdressing, but they will all have their own way of teaching.

To be honest, I think the biggest difference between any training course is mostly down to the tutors and that can vary hugely! I briefly went to a hairdressing academy with a sneery tutor who wasn't keen on teaching anyone above 25 so, I voted with my feet and left.
Hi I have been offered a place at my local college for level 2 city and guilds VRQ in September. I asked the tutor how can I prepare for the course and she said get a salon placement,. That is when I went to Sak,s who only employ their own educational students. I was then confused when saks told me that VRQ is not that good and to go with them, saks said you cant do level 3 with them if I have a vrq 2, id have to do nvq again. WHY don't they just teach everyone on a nvq for godsake. Or is it all about money. Also when I have walked around salons, in the high street they are empty. not busy at all, and also I don't want to work in a salon,
I want to learn a skill so I can work full time with my elderly clients and cut their hair for free as a kind gesture as they are in their 90,s and don't like strangers cutting their hair.

?..Also when I have walked around salons, in the high street they are empty. not busy at all, and also I don't want to work in a salon,
I want to learn a skill so I can work full time with my elderly clients and cut their hair for free as a kind gesture as they are in their 90,s and don't like strangers cutting their hair.

In that case, what does it matter? Just do the VRQ2.

In that case, what does it matter? Just do the VRQ2.
I liked the idea of training at Saks, and the name. and I might want to stay in the industry if I got to like it and want it, But its 6,400 for level 2&3 2thousand pound extra for a name called Saks

I liked the idea of training at Saks, and the name. and I might want to stay in the industry if I got to like it and want it, But its 6,400 for level 2&3 2thousand pound extra for a name called Saks
Hi, you're better of forgetting about 'the name' of the college/academy and going by which place had the best teaching reputation! Just because somewhere has a well known name doesn't necessarily mean they have the best teaching staff. Go wherever will give you the best education and experience that you require for what you want to do! Good luck xxx

Hi, you're better of forgetting about 'the name' of the college/academy and going by which place had the best teaching reputation! Just because somewhere has a well known name doesn't necessarily mean they have the best teaching staff. Go wherever will give you the best education and experience that you require for what you want to do! Good luck xxx
Hi decided to go with the college, as its also cheaper. Just need to find a salon placement now and ive walked around the town handing in CV.S But one manager told me it was against the law to volunteer in a salon,and told me to wait till I started college :( I wanted experience before I started college.

Hi decided to go with the college, as its also cheaper. Just need to find a salon placement now and ive walked around the town handing in CV.S But one manager told me it was against the law to volunteer in a salon,and told me to wait till I started college :( I wanted experience before I started college.

It's not illegal to volunteer otherwise, how would the charity sector cope?
The problem is that the salon could be accused of treating you as an unpaid employee and be required to pay you the National Minimum Wage.

I think if you call it work experience linked to your course, you can volunteer without it affecting the salon. You would probably need your tutor to put something in writing.

Yes that is what he said. He did say go back once im at college, so at least that is promising, I have my doll head so I will practise on her till September , I will watch you tube clips and read books. Oh and I have been told Hairdressing is really Hard, but no one will tell me which bit, the cutting, the theory? the colour mix ? the consultation?

Yes that is what he said. He did say go back once im at college, so at least that is promising, I have my doll head so I will practise on her till September , I will watch you tube clips and read books. Oh and I have been told Hairdressing is really Hard, but no one will tell me which bit, the cutting, the theory? the colour mix ? the consultation?

Probably because there's no one size fits all, answer. Going back to the driving analogy, some people find reversing in a straight line tricky whilst others struggle driving in busy fast moving traffic. We're all different and learning to be a great hairdresser will present different challenges for each of us.

Don't bother with Youtube clips for now. Watching different people explain their version of a short grad bob will only serve to confuse you at this stage. Have you had a chance to look at the link for the My Hairdressers Academy I posted previously? That is definitely worth spending money on, in my opinion.
If you spend time reading the notes and watching the videos, I'm sure you will find it worthwhile and excellent preparation for your course.

Probably because there's no one size fits all, answer. Going back to the driving analogy, some people find reversing in a straight line tricky whilst others struggle driving in busy fast moving traffic. We're all different and learning to be a great hairdresser will present different challenges for each of us.

Don't bother with Youtube clips for now. Watching different people explain their version of a short grad bob will only serve to confuse you at this stage. Have you had a chance to look at the link for the My Hairdressers Academy I posted previously? That is definitely worth spending money on, in my opinion.
If you spend time reading the notes and watching the videos, I'm sure you will find it worthwhile and excellent preparation for your course.
Hi Thank you for all the support, I thought when people said it was hard , they meant the whole thing from start to finnish is hard. Ive joined the my hairsessing Academy and have a doll head, curlers and stuff, cant wait to get practising thank you xx

Ahh well I'm sure once you get get stuck into your college course you'll find it easier to find a placement, then you'll have a foot in the door! Keep us updated, I'm sure you will do very well[emoji4]x

Ahh well I'm sure once you get get stuck into your college course you'll find it easier to find a placement, then you'll have a foot in the door! Keep us updated, I'm sure you will do very well[emoji4]x
Hi Everyone, what a great surprise : I had a chat with a lady 73 who has a salon but now has a lady managing it who has been working in the salon since she was 13. The owner said it was lovely to talk to me and would like me to go and see her for a possible hair salon placement, I told her I don't want paying as the skills im learning are my wages. So today im really feeling uplifted I will keep you all posted thank you.xx

Latest posts

Back