Websites!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibu8909

Reaction score
How do i get one or start one up?
i havent got a clue

There are a number of approaches you could take to this:

(1) Design your own using an online template-based system, e.g. Webs/Freewebs, Weebly, Yola, Office Live, VistaPrint, 1and1 site builder, etc.

Advantages being either free or fairly low cost, and you can do it yourself.

Disadvantages being that you may be limited to a fairly restricted set of templates, and may thus end up with a site looking similar to another salon's. Many of the templates turn out "messy" HTML code too, which isn't good from an accessibility point of view. Some of the free web providers display Google adverts on your site, which detracts from the overall look and makes the site look less professional. And you are more or less on your own when it comes to search engine optimisation.

(2) Use software such as Dreamweaver, FrontPage or Mr Site to build your site.

Advantages are that you again can do it yourself, and will have more control than with one of the template based systems.

Disadvantages are that you will probably need to pay out for the software in the first place, and will probably have to sort out your own web hosting (e.g. with 123-reg or 1and1), and may need to use FTP software to upload your site to the web server, so will probably need more tech knowledge than using an online template builder. Some software can again turn out "messy" HTML too, and again the onus is on you to optimise your site for search engines.

(3) Hand-code your site in HTML.

Advantages are that this will give you the most control of all in terms of designing and setting up your site.

Disadvantages are that you will need the relevant technical knowledge to code HTML, so not recommended for beginners and technophobes. And you will also need to sort out your own hosting etc.

(4) Use a professional web designer.

Advantages are that you should hopefully get a bespoke-designed website that meets your exact requirements, with good search engine optimisation, and clean, compliant HTML code.

Disadvantages being the cost - make sure you get several quotes and ask about any ongoing costs and hidden extras, e.g. hosting fees, or charges to make updates to your site. Ask to see a portfolio of existing sites to make sure you like the web designer's work before committing yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device

I took the easy route and got Ruth to make mine for me :lol:,
i love it and had no stress trying to understand how to do it myself, cheers Ruth :hug:

Definitely get Ruth in !

The thing I have found about our website is that it has overtaken all of our marketing spend. We used to advertise in the Yellow Pages and the local paper and now we don;t do any of that, we put it all into our website.

Our web designers came up with all sorts of ideas about search engine optimisation (being found in the search engines) and how to get the traffic to make an enquiry and offering incentives.

That said, it wasn't cheap. But it's very much worth the money for the amount of business it brings in.

The thing I have found about our website is that it has overtaken all of our marketing spend. We used to advertise in the Yellow Pages and the local paper and now we don;t do any of that, we put it all into our website.

Our web designers came up with all sorts of ideas about search engine optimisation (being found in the search engines) and how to get the traffic to make an enquiry and offering incentives.

That said, it wasn't cheap. But it's very much worth the money for the amount of business it brings in.

I like! Very attractive graphic design, excellent XHTML compliance, and although the CSS is giving a few validation issues, they look fairly trivial (e.g. Mozilla-specific CSS extensions that the W3C validator doesn't like, and some CSS3 stuff that isn't supported in CSS2.1).

But I especially like several of the ideas used on the site.

I like! Very attractive graphic design, excellent XHTML compliance, and although the CSS is giving a few validation issues, they look fairly trivial (e.g. Mozilla-specific CSS extensions that the W3C validator doesn't like, and some CSS3 stuff that isn't supported in CSS2.1).

Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to know what some of that means but I will pass the feedback to the designers and see what they say.

I love the design of it and it gets great feedback from our clients and best of all for the salon is the number of enquiries we get.

I think my advice to anyone is to spend their money wisely but don't necessarily go for the cheapest.

I took the easy route and got Ruth to make mine for me :lol:,
i love it and had no stress trying to understand how to do it myself, cheers Ruth :hug:
I'm with you on this one Loubylou! I agree, take the easy route and hand it over to Ruth :lol:.

Sounds good but haven't a clue what it all means :eek:. This is why I never attempted my own website.

Latest posts

Back