Weird, "round" nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moopie

Reaction score
So, I don't usually do nails anymore as most of you know I'm going to business college and working in an office.

I always do my own nails, and occassionally a good friend or relatives. I'm perfectly qualified and I have trouble nails (I used to bite.. :smack:) myself. I've dealt with quite a few "problem" nails!!

I haven't done my moms nails in years and only worked on her when I VERY first got qualified, for "mom" practice, IYKWIM, :)

So, she asked me to do hers recently as shes begun to care how they look now and I have to tell you - they're shaped so weird!! Her nails are all slightly shorter than the tip of her finger (which is fine), but they're so short. They're also VERY small... put this all together, and they look like almost complete circles!

To make matters worse, her thumbs get curvier and curvier as they grow out, and will in all honesty, if they get long enough, grow into a stiletto :eek:

I would do a CB and extend the nail bed but in order to make them look balanced, they would have to be ridiculously past the end of her finger.

How do I deal with these? Is there any shape, or length or style that would help to make these less....weird??

Thanks so much!!

So, I don't usually do nails anymore as most of you know I'm going to business college and working in an office.

I always do my own nails, and occassionally a good friend or relatives. I'm perfectly qualified and I have trouble nails (I used to bite.. :smack:) myself. I've dealt with quite a few "problem" nails!!

I haven't done my moms nails in years and only worked on her when I VERY first got qualified, for "mom" practice, IYKWIM, :)

So, she asked me to do hers recently as shes begun to care how they look now and I have to tell you - they're shaped so weird!! Her nails are all slightly shorter than the tip of her finger (which is fine), but they're so short. They're also VERY small... put this all together, and they look like almost complete circles!

To make matters worse, her thumbs get curvier and curvier as they grow out, and will in all honesty, if they get long enough, grow into a stiletto :eek:

I would do a CB and extend the nail bed but in order to make them look balanced, they would have to be ridiculously past the end of her finger.

How do I deal with these? Is there any shape, or length or style that would help to make these less....weird??

Thanks so much!!

i'm having real trouble imagining what they look like, any chance of a picture ?

i'll do my best and try to post, thanks for the response :hug:

The only thing I can think of is to trim a form right down to mirror the shape of the (non existent) free edge. You could then add a very short white free edge and butt the cb up to it, I'd keep them very short though as she's likely to be used to no free edge at all.

If you're not sure about attempting a french you could just use one colour for now and use a nice polish.

Theres a fab tutorial by Peter Pan somewhere that might help, hang on I'll find it.

Here you are:
http://www.salongeek.com/misc-tutorials/52129-building-free-edges-without-forms.html

This might help too:
http://www.salongeek.com/misc-tutorials/60253-form-placement-guide.html

Last edited:
Tiny nails need tiny Free edges, or CB nail bed with a semi deep smile to carry off a slightly longer white (or what ever colour) FE... I loooooooooove working on midget nails, they always come out the best IMO

Latest posts

Back