Well tips & well-less tips, What's the difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookbj

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to acrylics (oct 08) and was trained using tips with wells which I then blend into the natural nail. I have no problem with this so far. I havnt tried using forms yet and to be honest am quite happy to continue using tips, but my question is:

1) What is the diffenence between well and well-less tips please?
2) Do I have to blend well-less tips?
3) How far do you glue well-less to the nail compared to well tips?

I have read stuff on here about well-less but dont see what the diff between the two types is.
Could any of you expericenced techs please spare some time to help me please?
Its taking me about 2 and half to 3 hours to complete a full set of extensions with french.

Thanks in advance

Hiya

I use well-less tips most of the time, but you will always need tips with wells for some clients ie nailbiters.

Well-less
  • You apply the tips to the very end of the natural nail
  • You use liquid adhesive as opposed to gel adhesive
  • Provided you use liquid adhesive you dont have to blend, you just stick and go!
  • They cut about 20 mins off your service time
  • The client needs to have a free edge for well-less tips, even if its only a tiny one
  • You cant use these on nailbiters
Welled tips
  • Perfect (in fact essential) for nailbiters.
  • Obviously you need to blend these tips and use gel bond.
  • These tips are better for enhancing the nailbed because you can blend the contact area right down to expose a bigger area of natural nail so that there's a bigger surface area for your product to adhere to, and as such will create a stronger nail. If you used well-less tips for biters you would cover up that tiny bit of surface area, and being that the tips are the weakest part of the enhancement, this is why well-less arent good for biters or tiny nailbeds.
Hope that helps:green:

I am wondering why the well less can't be used for bitters?.. I have sereral extreme bitters that i can't even get a well tip on.. there isn't enough natural nail to place a well tip on.. but i have managed to place a well less tip right on the very tip of the natural nail and build a good solid apex...
Is this ok to use?... I mostly use the CND performance tips .

thanks
Mel

I have wondered about full well tips and what particular purpose they serve, apart from taking longer to blend in? I've used well less tips on extreme nail biters with very good results so far. The ears can be a bit of a pain to blend in so far down the nail, though, but I guess that might be the case with whatever tip you used for these cannibals?

I use well tips with my soak off gel, they work well and hold fast, I'd like to try well less as I hate all the dust from blending ( and the blending itself!) any body tried them with gel?

Hiya

I use well-less tips most of the time, but you will always need tips with wells for some clients ie nailbiters.

Well-less
  • You apply the tips to the very end of the natural nail
  • You use liquid adhesive as opposed to gel adhesive
  • Provided you use liquid adhesive you dont have to blend, you just stick and go!
  • They cut about 20 mins off your service time
  • The client needs to have a free edge for well-less tips, even if its only a tiny one
  • You cant use these on nailbiters
Welled tips
  • Perfect (in fact essential) for nailbiters.
  • Obviously you need to blend these tips and use gel bond.
  • These tips are better for enhancing the nailbed because you can blend the contact area right down to expose a bigger area of natural nail so that there's a bigger surface area for your product to adhere to, and as such will create a stronger nail. If you used well-less tips for biters you would cover up that tiny bit of surface area, and being that the tips are the weakest part of the enhancement, this is why well-less arent good for biters or tiny nailbeds.
Hope that helps:green:

Firstly - this is an EXCELLENT answer. Remember that when using a tip - it is the foundation of the nail... the coating isthe strength!

I am wondering why the well less can't be used for bitters?.. I have sereral extreme bitters that i can't even get a well tip on.. there isn't enough natural nail to place a well tip on.. but i have managed to place a well less tip right on the very tip of the natural nail and build a good solid apex...
Is this ok to use?... I mostly use the CND performance tips .

thanks
Mel

To Mel.. sometimes with extreme biters you need to 'saddle' the tip by taking out some of the sidewall so you can get a snugger fit around the bulbous skin that cannibal biters alwayshave at the sides!.

With a well-less tip you have no contact area so you are essentially trying to adhere a tip half way down the nail onto barely any nail plate (if that makes sense)... If you have managed to do it... great but your absolute best tip ever for nail biters has to be Formation!

To cookbj... I am not sure where you did your training but TIP knowledge is essential to make informed and right decisions for your clients! We cover this on the Foundation class with all our students... if you need more help in this area you could do some 1-2-1 training - this is YOUR time to do nothing but learn to apply the correct tips to the correct nail shapes and learn to 'tailor' the tips before application so you have less blending time! Hope this helps! :idea:

Wonderful answers from Mrs Geek.. thank you..
I guess i need a little 1 on 1... this is what i will being asking geeg about as i have not a clue when it comes to proper tipping.. and that is fact unfortunatly.. I don;t mind admiting it... I do want to fix it.

I know that they have CND gel bond to help with this. ( i think).. but i am so scared to use it as i got a touch on my flex tape on my finger and it burn't the hell out of my skin... it was like acid eating away at my flesh and let me tell you i was rippping that tape off faster than anything.... now i am scared to use it on bitters so i guess that is why i have stuck to well less tips..

X Mel

Thanks for all your help guys, especially Michelle. I now completly understand the difference and will try well-less tips.

Thanks again all

Latest posts

Back