Wella Illumina-why are the ash tones so warm?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblegumsoap

Reaction score
I'm just here to rant really....... I've been trying out a few of the wella illumia ash colours on my family...... But they never come out ash! I've used 8/1 and 9/60 and the 8/1 just throws out so much gold! And the 9/60 goes more of a yellowy color within a few weeks...... As its family obviously they are quite laid back about it but it just annoys me when I have to look at their hair knowing that wasn't the color I thought it would be..... 9/60 was used on a base shade of 6 and the 8/1 was used on base shade 7. Anyone recommend any true ash light browns and blondes? I do tend to stick to wella but I'm open to suggestions xxx

Sent from my D6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

You need to take your undertones into consideration when you're lifting. 9/60 is violet, you're going through orange yellow to get to a 9 from a 6. I'd recommend a small squirt of 5/81 or 7/81 to act as a special mix. 8/1 is ash which will not neutralise anything, 8/69 with some 7/81 will probably be better suited. Hope that helps. Illumina is the god of cool colours and I've never had any problem with it but of course the colour will fade, are they looking after their hair correctly?

I did a virgin head of hair on Friday base 6, with white hair and also the 6 holds warmth. I used 8/69 and 30vol and IT was lush! It's hard to describe the tone but it was just lush. It's my step mum so I can take a photo at some point.

I'd recommend colour recharge in cool blonde as aftercare with illumina. Works a treat!

I did a virgin head of hair on Friday base 6, with white hair and also the 6 holds warmth. I used 8/69 and 30vol and IT was lush! It's hard to describe the tone but it was just lush. It's my step mum so I can take a photo at some point.

I'd recommend colour recharge in cool blonde as aftercare with illumina. Works a treat!

I did the same a few months ago but mixed 8/ and 8/69 and even then it was gorgeous and shes naturally REALLY warm but it just killed the warmth!

Thank you for all your feedback! With the after care, they said they have been using the correct shampoo/conditioner etc. Yes please could I see some pics?? Xxx

Thank you for all your feedback! With the after care, they said they have been using the correct shampoo/conditioner etc. Yes please could I see some pics?? Xxx

Sorry i didn't take a pic, next time i use it i'll show you if i remember! Xxx

I can get one. She's a relative.

LOVE love love 8/69 beautiful colour.xx

Right guys! My mum is having her hair done today, gonna experiment with the 8/69 :) shall i just use the 8/69 on its own or put a little bit of 8 with it? Shes got I would say10 percent of greys if that....... she usually has the 9/60, what I will do is use the 8/69 with a few bleach foils scattered through ..... What do you think ?? Will post piccys later Xxx

But the 9/60 has faded to quite a gingery colour I must admit, so it won't be ash on top of ash..... It shouldn't go green from my opinion but will do a strand test anyway xxx

Right guys! My mum is having her hair done today, gonna experiment with the 8/69 :) shall i just use the 8/69 on its own or put a little bit of 8 with it? Shes got I would say10 percent of greys if that....... she usually has the 9/60, what I will do is use the 8/69 with a few bleach foils scattered through ..... What do you think ?? Will post piccys later Xxx

Whats her natural depth?

But the 9/60 has faded to quite a gingery colour I must admit, so it won't be ash on top of ash..... It shouldn't go green from my opinion but will do a strand test anyway xxx

Yeah its faded ginger because you havent neutralised the orange undertone when lifting, try a squirt of 7/81 in your mix.

Lovely thank you!!! Just off to Sallys now xxx

Base shade 6 xxx

It went really well thanks guys xxx

Attachments

• 1426415883809.jpg
    1426415883809.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,029
Omg guys just had this sent to me from my sister in law about she needs help with her hair she did it last night......... Omg bleach distaster!! Trip to Sallys for me this is going to be a busy morning lol. Xxx

Attachments

• 1426416002019.jpg
    1426416002019.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 538
  • 1426416009734.jpg
    1426416009734.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 512
Has half of it fell out?? 😕

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I think half of it is tucked into her jumper, I haven't seen it in person yet!! :( lol xxx

Latest posts

Back