Wella to Matrix help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlydie

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I've been using Wella colour for nigh on 17 years now and I have a trade test on Thursday with matrix. I don't know where to start.
I've used clynol and l'oreal before but these matrix numbers may as well be in Chinese!
Also, I've not heard good things about the colour ranges......apart from the reds. What am I going to do? I love Wella so much I can't quite bare to use anything else!

Matrix is very easy to get used to the numbering system ie 8R level 8 red
6G -level 6 gold 9A -9ash 8M -8mocha
I'm sure if they know you are not matrix trained they will allow for that :) iv always liked them, 84ml tubes, easy to mix and apply but I guess we all have preferences :) good luck :) x

Just found this on another post hope it helps :) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1403027520.238138.jpg

All you need to remember is that Matrix tints contain preblended base. So if you want a gold base 6 you would just use a 6G (not 6.0 and 6.3)
The swatch you pick is the colour you will get. Because of the preblended base they tend to appear up to one level darker than Wella so look at the swatch!

Developers:
10vol to darken, change tone or lift one level
20vol for grey coverage or lift 2 levels
30vol for 3 levels of lift
40vol for 4 levels of lift

Hope this helps a little. They will understand that you haven't used the colour before.
Good luck!x

Defo wouldn't expect you to know matrix for a trade test however I would expect you to be able to explain what you need mixing up. For instence a pre lightener with 6%, a highlift tint that will give a cool end result and a lowlight that's around a base 8 with a soft gold tone. So that someone in the salon could mix for you.

Then if you got the job I would do an overview of matrix or send you on a basic course.

Don't worry about the number letters things just make sure you can explain yourself well :)

Wow, Thankyou all SO much for your replies!
I think I should be ok. But for my trade test I'm doing the MANAGERS hair!! She's got a base of a 6 which is currently tint so I'll have to use bleach. I'll use 3% as her hair is already right royally ****ed! Lol. So I need to be gentle with it. I'm just going to do a few foils then tone it.
I would normally tone with koleston 9/39 with pastel developer. What can I do matrix wise? Pleeeaase :thumbup:

You would always assess after taking the foils out.

Why is she the model if her hair is trashed? If you wouldn't bleach it as a client then explain why you wouldn't.

Say if you lift to an orange 8 then you would need to ask them to help you out on a blue based toner to subdue the warmth.

Latest posts

Back