Wella toner gone too grey/lilac, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ataylor0510

Reaction score
Help! My lady always has bleach hilights with 10/16 which is always lovely, she wanted to go a tiny bit darker today so I used 9/16 instead.
It looks lovely but looks lilac around the hairline where her hair was naturally almost white.
I've told her it will wash out but she's panicking as she's going out on friday! I've suggested using heads and shoulders, can anyone suggest anything else??x

Head & shoulders?? That will dry out her hair and cause her colour to look dull.

Why didn't you fix it straight away? You could have carefully applied a weak bleach solution around the hairline on the purple/white bits to take away the excess tone. It would have lifted very quickly.

The problem that I find with head and shoulders is that it can help get rid of the color but because its so alkaline it rips open your cuticle layer which is going to damage your hair. When applying toners, I'm taught as soon as I see the color changing (To the wrong color, not the color in mind) to remove it and you can always reapply the toner to the parts that it hasn't taken, along with (10 or 9)/16 it can go lilac or pink, once it goes pink you have to bleach it out, i would keep an eye on her hair cause if she normally has the toner its going to take quicker, just like color fresh does (This is all from a Wella color range). I don't know if that helps for the future.

~ Elliot

Thank you!
She had to see to see to her poorly daughter so the toner was left on for slightly too long, I was hoping it would be ok as it was only a few minutes but obviously not :(
I offered to do a quick bleach bath around the front but she was desperate to get her daughter home.
Hopefully the shampoo will do the trick without drying her hair out too much x

Thank you!
She had to see to see to her poorly daughter so the toner was left on for slightly too long, I was hoping it would be ok as it was only a few minutes but obviously not :(
I offered to do a quick bleach bath around the front but she was desperate to get her daughter home.
Hopefully the shampoo will do the trick without drying her hair out too much x
Bleach and water removes tone only, and doesn't lift. I wouldn't recommend head and shoulders though as it actually contains high amounts of silicone and glue like substance
. Obviously I assume she won't be using it as her regular shampoo:). If I ever come across overtone I usually just use a cleansing shampoo on the are and it usually comes away quickly. If it's stubborn then I'd use bleach and water :)

Latest posts

Back