Wella vs L'Oreal hair colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanJudge

Reaction score
As an all rounder, which is better?
We use L'oreal in college and upto now i've liked it. It's a lot easier to pick up I find. But is Wella just better?

If that's the case I might apply everything I learn about L to W and get to know Wellas demis when we're learning about demi's etc.

What are people opinions on the products and why?

Everybody is going to be different, you'll get loads of people for loreal and you'll get loads of people for wella.

All you can do to find out which ones better really is trial them.

In the US, Loreal is strongly associated with box color. Wella doesn't sell box color in stores, though they do sell products, none anyone on here would use through Sally's. However, you can't purchase professional Wella products at Sally's. So Illumina, Color Touch, and Koleston Perfect are strictly pro.

In school you always learn with a certain product line. The best advice I can give you is learn as much about colour theory as you can, the Internet is an amazing resource alongside any classes you can take. Once you've nailed your understanding of hair colouring, then you will have no fear working with any colour line. All colour lines have their good and bad points and you will eventually find different bits and pieces from multiple lines you will like. Here are a few of the resources I like to keep close to hand
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446665353.363836.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446665410.953395.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446665522.573782.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446665549.628284.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446665570.920360.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446665731.307385.jpg

In school you always learn with a certain product line. The best advice I can give you is learn as much about colour theory as you can, the Internet is an amazing resource alongside any classes you can take. Once you've nailed your understanding of hair colouring, then you will have no fear working with any colour line. All colour lines have their good and bad points and you will eventually find different bits and pieces from multiple lines you will like. Here are a few of the resources I like to keep close to handView attachment 191773View attachment 191774View attachment 191775View attachment 191776View attachment 191777View attachment 191778

Never in my life have i seen violet when lifting[emoji15]

Oh, I should also say that where I work now we use Tigi, and before that it was Schwarzkopf, and in colege I trained with a Wella. All great colour lines. I don't remember Wella to much now but I still sometimes wish I had one of their liquid colours handy to apply at the basin to jazz up the colour a bit, and I still like colour fresh. Schwarzkopf was great for grey coverage because the colours are so opaque and "pigment heavy". Tigi gives really natural looking colours because it's more translucent, but because of this grey coverage is harder. You really have to follow the level 8/0 rule. Whereas a 9/0 in Schwarzkopf will cover grey 100%. But, we find ways to get the best results out if whatever colour line you just need to nail the knowledge [emoji1][emoji106][emoji123][emoji418]️

Oh, I should also say that where I work now we use Tigi, and before that it was Schwarzkopf, and in colege I trained with a Wella. All great colour lines. I don't remember Wella to much now but I still sometimes wish I had one of their liquid colours handy to apply at the basin to jazz up the colour a bit, and I still like colour fresh. Schwarzkopf was great for grey coverage because the colours are so opaque and "pigment heavy". Tigi gives really natural looking colours because it's more translucent, but because of this grey coverage is harder. You really have to follow the level 8/0 rule. Whereas a 9/0 in Schwarzkopf will cover grey 100%. But, we find ways to get the best results out if whatever colour line you just need to nail the knowledge [emoji1][emoji106][emoji123][emoji418]️

I reckon schwarzkopf's 9s look like 8s though and their 8s like 7s.

Hate how they're all different!

On the contributing pigment chart![emoji24]

Says a 2/ is violet undertone
Ah well that's correct, blue is the underlying pigment for a 1/0, red-blue (violet) at 2/0 and so on. But the revealed pigment when lifting is just red, that's in the next column. This was confirmed to me by a Schwarzkopf colour educator. You would still only pre-pig with red though.

On the contributing pigment chart![emoji24]

Says a 2/ is violet undertone
Oh yeah I was looking at the one above. The rpc chart is a bit off. Top one is right though.

Neither, NXT all the way!

Thanks for all the opinions.
Cam nice to see haven't seen you for a while on here, but I haven't really been on.

I've never seen blue exposed when lifting hair, has anyone else? Im curious about that.

There's just so much conflicting advice with colour it's hard to grasp. Some people are meant to cut, some colour, some hair ups, my area is cutting; i'd really love to a great colourist though.

Btw I am kidding about NXT, don't go near it.

Personally I like wella most but only because I've trained in it. Loreal have a great.range

Ah well that's correct, blue is the underlying pigment for a 1/0, red-blue (violet) at 2/0 and so on. But the revealed pigment when lifting is just red, that's in the next column. This was confirmed to me by a Schwarzkopf colour educator. You would still only pre-pig with red though.

Hmm no I still disagree [emoji6]

Both are good. which line is going to give you support and education?
We are lucky enough to have a wella academy here so i went with wella.
i would suggest embracing whatever color line is most prominent in the salon you work in so you can learn from people who have experience using it. Once you master the basics of the color, regardless of what line use you use you will have a skill set transferable to any line.
Wella is pretty awesome because its a complete line that really allows you to accomplish almost anything without having to stray outside the line. That being said Wella is owned by proctor and gamble and thus is part of an evil empire that makes clairol box color and all kinds of shitty drugstore products but the color lines are almost all part of some big conglomerate. I still use Wella and am very happy with most of the line.

Both are good. which line is going to give you support and education?
We are lucky enough to have a wella academy here so i went with wella.
i would suggest embracing whatever color line is most prominent in the salon you work in so you can learn from people who have experience using it. Once you master the basics of the color, regardless of what line use you use you will have a skill set transferable to any line.
Wella is pretty awesome because its a complete line that really allows you to accomplish almost anything without having to stray outside the line. That being said Wella is owned by proctor and gamble and thus is part of an evil empire that makes clairol box color and all kinds of shitty drugstore products but the color lines are almost all part of some big conglomerate. I still use Wella and am very happy with most of the line.

L'Oreal also makes shitty drugstore products and box colour. As does schwarzkopf so what can we do?[emoji17]

I don't box colour reflects on the quality of pro colour.

I have used and love both over the years, I like the translucency you get with loreal and I like inoa, and I feel loreal pigments are not quite as intense as wella, wella has more longevity, but is that a good thing if clients like to change often! Both have great training and both are not cheap, I think there are now more independent colour companies that work harder to win our loyalty.

L'Oreal also makes shitty drugstore products and box colour. As does schwarzkopf so what can we do?[emoji17]

I don't box colour reflects on the quality of pro colour.

I love schwarzkopf, and it upsets me they do SO many box colour. Especially XLLive, aka the hairdressers nightmare

Latest posts

Back