What’s most popular in nail art?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soniamarie

Reaction score
Hi I have just signed up to do my acrtlic course, I am trained in gels but not really done much, just wondering what is popular eg. french, nail art, glitters , plain etc and what shapes are most popular at the moment.

Well I can only speak for my own area and my own customers so this will possibly be different in other areas :) My customer range is mostly 18-35 (although I have customers outside this range, too). The type of nails I do most by far is ballerina in babyboomer (french ombre). To the point where I am a bit sick of doing ballerina and french ombre now o_O Second most popular from my experience is possibly almond, or a shorter ballerina (although that becomes more like a tapered square, when short). Nudes, light pink colours are also popular. As for specific designs, I've done a fair few marble designs, these seem popular, and can be an accent alongside any colour pretty much, and also hand painted patterns like mandala. Other than that, swarovskis are popular, and occasionally glitter, but my customers like the glitter incased in the gel, they dont want it on top, so it's a whole hassle lol.

Least popular shape and design (that is, what I rarely get asked for, if ever), is regular square nail and French. For all its classiness, I very very rarely get asked for french. But the few times I do, I make sure to do it using reverse and extended nailbed.

Well I can only speak for my own area and my own customers so this will possibly be different in other areas :) My customer range is mostly 18-35 (although I have customers outside this range, too). The type of nails I do most by far is ballerina in babyboomer (french ombre). To the point where I am a bit sick of doing ballerina and french ombre now o_O Second most popular from my experience is possibly almond, or a shorter ballerina (although that becomes more like a tapered square, when short). Nudes, light pink colours are also popular. As for specific designs, I've done a fair few marble designs, these seem popular, and can be an accent alongside any colour pretty much, and also hand painted patterns like mandala. Other than that, swarovskis are popular, and occasionally glitter, but my customers like the glitter incased in the gel, they dont want it on top, so it's a whole hassle lol.

Least popular shape and design (that is, what I rarely get asked for, if ever), is regular square nail and French. For all its classiness, I very very rarely get asked for french. But the few times I do, I make sure to do it using reverse and extended nailbed.

Hi thank you for replying, I work in a shop, not in nails at the moment though :( and I like to see what people have and yes ballerina and almond seem popular here to, is the classic french not popular at the moment then?, just wondering as that is one that I like as you say it is classy. Guess I will
have to start learning how to do babyboomers never tried that, but will give it a try once I have started my course and get used to using the products.

Hi thank you for replying, I work in a shop, not in nails at the moment though :( and I like to see what people have and yes ballerina and almond seem popular here to, is the classic french not popular at the moment then?, just wondering as that is one that I like as you say it is classy. Guess I will
have to start learning how to do babyboomers never tried that, but will give it a try once I have started my course and get used to using the products.

I do gel extensions, and in the past 6 months that I've been doing this, I have only been asked for french perhaps 3 times? And on all 3 occasions it's been a mature woman. :) Whereas babyboomer/french ombre I get requests for all the time. But again, we live in different countries, so that could be a factor but from what I see from the photos of other nail techs, they don't sculpt that many french nails lately either. French is also what takes me the longest, first sculpting the pink, then sculpting the white... instead of using clear/cover on the whole nail in one go. But I'm also slow at it because I never get to do a french sculpture. ;)

I’ve only done a full French a handful in 3 years although I do incorporate one or 2 Nails into a full set with other nail art.
My clients like marbling, rose quartz, colour blocking, glitter fade, chrome and Swarovski crystals.
I rarely do a plain one colour set.

Latest posts

Back