What are the most profitable salon treatments ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonic Marie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been talking to a friend who owns a 4 treatment room salon and also operates 3 sunbeds. She has always considered her sunbeds to be a major source of income. However she is working with a business guru and he has advised her she needs to 'lose' a 100 sunbed clients a week by raising her prices above the market average as there is not much money in it compared to her other treatments. Guess what she put the prices sky high and they still keep coming !!

What is your most profitable treatment and why ?

Mx

Should this sort of information be up here for everyone to see?

(sorted now - Fiona)

Hi Amy,

Still fairly new to the forum. Do you mean I should have posted my question else where ? Any guidance/feedback gratefully received.

Mx

Hi Marie,

No I mean the whole topic of how much a treatment costs the therapist and how much profit can be made from it, because this site and its contents are viewable to everyone, including non-professional consumers and clients, who I'm sure lots of professionals don't want knowing the ins and outs of their business and how much they make etc.

Do you get where I'm coming from?

Got to agree with Amy, clients are not likely to take into account all the costs it takes you to set up, your hourly wage and all the other expenses you incur to provide services.

I think it was a good thread really. A Mcdonalds hamburger probably costs about 6p to make & produce but millions of people are still happy to pay a pound for it.
If thats the price asked for then thats what the consumer pays. If they choose to. If we were to analyse the actual cost of making/producing the product, and then begrudge paying the asking price for it, Designers would be well and truly bankrupt!! lol!

Also it's not just the cost of the treatment, its overheads such as water, rent, electric, petrol, etc etc!!

Its different for retail of products but I personally think that its acceptable to discuss the most profitable treatments, this is afterall a professional help site.

Jacqui

Its different for retail of products but I personally think that its acceptable to discuss the most profitable treatments, this is afterall a professional help site.

Jacqui

I am afraid this was a decision made right at the beginning of the site that trade prices would not be discussed openly. If you want to enter into a discussion about how much treatments cost to you then please do it in a PM.

It may be a professional help site but we cannot control who views this. You cannot say it is ok to post cost per treatment but not cost of retail - it is easier to just say no to prices.

Yeah good comment - but what I was trying to say was that it was a good thread for people to get an idea of what treatments were cost effective. If someone is looking into offering more treatments, it could have been a good way to see what treatments were the most profitable.

Jacqui

perhaps its just the way I read the post but it seemed that all the poster was after was an idea of what the most profitable treatments were and not 'how much do you make' ie. do body treatments have a greater profit percentage than facials etc

perhaps its just the way I read the post but it seemed that all the poster was after was an idea of what the most profitable treatments were and not 'how much do you make' ie. do body treatments have a greater profit percentage than facials etc

I think the addition of "and why?" pretty much means more detail is expected than someone just saying "x gives more profit than y"....get what I mean?

This thread has pretty much been cleared up now, how about closing it mods? What do you reckon? :green:

Hi everyone,

Mx

Hi everyone,

Mx

WAXING WAXING WAXING. very low overhead, and the faster you are, the more money you make.

Retail!! Once the investment is made & I do my part... Retail is the most profitable.

Massage def most profitable. Minimal products used.

I think the addition of "and why?" pretty much means more detail is expected than someone just saying "x gives more profit than y"....get what I mean?

This thread has pretty much been cleared up now, how about closing it mods? What do you reckon? :green:

I get your point but I think you can tell from the posts following yours that the Q could be answered without divulging profit margins....hope the post isn't closed as it seems that some people are enjoying the chance to discuss

Waxing is a great service to offer, many of my clients come to me religiously as it is not the sort of treatment you necessarily only have for a special occassion.

I love doing spray tanning but you do get the clients who only want one for an occassion like going to a wedding

xx

Retail!! Once the investment is made & I do my part... Retail is the most profitable.

Couldnt agree more,from skincare to massage to body treatmenys,tanning,retail makes the profit margin.:)

Treatment wise I would say waxing,esp when you are speedy and efficient at it. :)

for me its waxing then nails

I get your point but I think you can tell from the posts following yours that the Q could be answered without divulging profit margins....hope the post isn't closed as it seems that some people are enjoying the chance to discuss

Yep, but if you'd followed this thread from the beginning, you'd have seen a post (after Marie's initial post and before my first post) detailing the profits that can be made from spray tanning, which has subsequently been deleted by a moderator.

We've got to respect Geeky rules, so as long as everyone reads the first few posts of this thread before posting, they should be clear of the guidelines to follow (i.e not many details about why one treatment is more profitable than another etc.)

Wow I am not surprised how many people are clearly interested in what makes profitable treatments - over 500 people have viewed this thread !!!!!

Come on !! This is a site for "salon geeks" a place where professionals are sharing hints, tips, prices and business knowledge all the time !! ??
Just scroll through dozens of threads on the site:
For example:
What do you charge for blah blah?
What are the costs for X product ?
How should I market such and such?

Clearly this is a subject that interests many of you - lets discuss. All consumers know that everything has a wholesale cost and a retail price. Be realistic girlies ! Lets share knowledge and help one another - if not whats the point of the site. It sends the message that we can't be truly upfront and open. Big Brother is not watching - chill out !

Rant over

Mx:irked:

Latest posts

Back