What could this product have been?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unas escarlata

Reaction score
I had to soak off the "gel nails" from one of my waxing clients who is going into hospital for surgery today.

She has been having her nails done in half an hour in what sounds like an NSS in Newbury. The nail bar is always (her words) full of dust and she finds it very difficult to converse with her nail tech as his english is very limited. She hasn't asked what the products are and can't recall reading any labels.

To soak her nails off she sits with her fingertips in a bowl of acetone. I only do bio and shellac so soaking off this product was an experience. I knew it may take a while as her nails looked really thick. I used a coarse grit file to break the shine on the product, soaked a slice of wipe with gel remover and wrapped her fingers in foil whilst I did her bikini wax. Then I put her hands under a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel whilst I made her a cup of tea.

The cotton pad had almost completely dried out and was stuck to the nail (unsurprisingly of course as I had applied heat but it never sticks to the bio which usually is available to be lifted off not picked of scraped). It had quite a strong chemical smell and was very very gelatinous and elastic. She has really strong natural nails and had had these enhancements on for 4 weeks. It took over an hour to remove the product, and even then there were tiny bobbles left behind but I was so wary of filing her nail plates because that's not what I do.

Should I/could I have done anything differently?

I had a very similar thing happen this morning, soaked off atcylic from NSS. Got through first 2 layers with acetone then just dead halted. Required last layer to be filed, took just over an hour to remove!!! Grrr damn crap products probably MMA in it!?!?

Not sure what area you're in ladies but where I am the "discount salons" have a bad habit of applying very cheap acrylic to clients and claim that it's gel nail varnish and charge more......

Sounds to me like you're clients have had acrylic............

Have many a discussion with clients that have acrylic on but insist it's gel...

First thing I ask my client is did they use a liquid & powder, if its a yes then you know its acrylic.........

I had to soak off the "gel nails" from one of my waxing clients who is going into hospital for surgery today.

She has been having her nails done in half an hour in what sounds like an NSS in Newbury. The nail bar is always (her words) full of dust and she finds it very difficult to converse with her nail tech as his english is very limited. She hasn't asked what the products are and can't recall reading any labels.

To soak her nails off she sits with her fingertips in a bowl of acetone. I only do bio and shellac so soaking off this product was an experience. I knew it may take a while as her nails looked really thick. I used a coarse grit file to break the shine on the product, soaked a slice of wipe with gel remover and wrapped her fingers in foil whilst I did her bikini wax. Then I put her hands under a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel whilst I made her a cup of tea.

The cotton pad had almost completely dried out and was stuck to the nail (unsurprisingly of course as I had applied heat but it never sticks to the bio which usually is available to be lifted off not picked of scraped). It had quite a strong chemical smell and was very very gelatinous and elastic. She has really strong natural nails and had had these enhancements on for 4 weeks. It took over an hour to remove the product, and even then there were tiny bobbles left behind but I was so wary of filing her nail plates because that's not what I do.

Should I/could I have done anything differently?

Sounds like MMA l&p to me, clients may ask for gel in these NSS salons but most of the time that's not what they get!

Anywho, if you did want to do it a little quicker next time or be prepared for this in the future it might be worth investing in a acetone proof manicure bowl to put the acetone in. Mine has individual finger holes and there is a bowl bit underneath so you can put warm water in to speed the process a little. MMA products are a nightmare to remove though!
Rhiannon x

Latest posts

Back