What do I tell my technician?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_Nightshade

Reaction score
Im trained in manicure pedicure but not gel nails (although I have some knowledge in them), so I went to a nail salon to have mine done.

She uses IBD gel, first of all she took off my old polish, then did cuticle work, and using a file buffed the shine off my nail (catching my fingers and cutting them in two areas) :irked:

The she used prep (which stung given the cuts) then layed on clear gel, set that under the lamp, then did the colour, set that, then did the top coat and set that.

It all seemed fine to me (baring the nicks) till the next day when I noticed what looked like burst bubbles on a couple of nails. What caused that?

I couldnt get back after two weeks as I was on holiday so I had a three week fil in appt, the nails had been fine really baring the bubbles and slight lifting on one or two.

For my follow up appt she buffed the nails right down (nearly nicked me again but I pointed it out this time) didnt really get rid of the nail dust but sprayed with prep then put on one layer of colour gel and set it, then one layer of top coat and set that.

I had pointed out the overlays were lifting.

Ive not been happy with the overlays since tbh, the colour was 'washy' and theres little dents all over my thumb nails, the shine came off really quickly and they are lifting really badly, every day I have to seal the ends with clear polish to keep them secure.

Im not using any chemicals or using to much water or doing anything out of the norm to my nails.

Is it the way they were done? Is it the type of gel used IBD not Bio?

I want to know so I can go to another Salon with confidence.

Hi,

Im a long time user of IBD gel and have found no problems with it. The bumps and bubbles, were caused by the nail tech, and is not a fault of the product. Bubbles are caused by dipping the brush quickly into the gel and dipping too deep into the pot. Sometimes the bubbles will burst once cured leaving bumps at the surface, or will stay in the cured gel nail. Bumps and the dusty apperance can be caused by contamination of the product, usually dust particals. You will get the dusty apperance also, if the gel hasnt been applied genourously to each nail.

By the sounds of it the nail tech did not give you a professional finish and was careless. Your nails were not prepped properly and not properly sealed causing them to lift. I would try another salon as you are not completly happy with them, and you have tried talking to the nail tech to saught the problem out and she has failed to listen.

Keep in mind, IBD is a great product and looks lovely when done properly.

hth x x

Why not work with your technician to solve your problems (and hers)?

Tell her why you are dissatisfied and let her know (very nicely) that you would like her to rectify the things you do not like and you would like your nails done for a discounted price as you were not happy with the end result.

Let her know, that she needs to do this for you or you will be forced to go to another salon but would rather like to give her the chance to do them one more time.

IBD is a perfectly good gel system and the company has been around for 2 decades with a good reputation.

Thanks for the advice :)
I wanted to make sure of the facts before opening my big mouth to the techy as I dont want to cause offence.

Thanks for the advice :)
I wanted to make sure of the facts before opening my big mouth to the techy as I dont want to cause offence.

If I was your nail technician, I would be happy to hear your comments and to be given the chance to put things right. It is how we learn and how we grow out business. I would not be offended if the client was polite and gave me another chance.

Latest posts

Back