What do you do with part-used polishes that you'll never use again?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJK

Addicted to pilates geek
Reaction score
I have quite a few bottles of polish that are part used. Some are half-full and some have only been used once or twice. I know that I'll never use them again. Some of them are colours that weren't popular, some were colours that are out of fashion and I don't anticipate them becoming fashionable again in the next decade.

What do you do with part-used bottles? Is there a charity that would accept them? I'm loathe to just throw them away but I really want rid of them.

If you work in a salon you can do what I sometimes do, swirl the polish about the bottle and leave the lid off to set so you have display polishes that are safe to leave in the window etc. If not I normally just give the polish away to any client who has an interest in it!

Give it away to anyone who will take it. Everyone loves free stuff. Believe it or not, I sold bulks of half used bottles on ebay! Made some $$ back, I was surprised they bought them knowing they were used:)

Sent from my MB200 using SalonGeek

Thank you both for your replies. I could do either to save waste, but I just really wanted to give them away so they could do some good.

There was a post on here recently about working with cancer sufferers to help them feel better but I can't find any more information on whether this or any other charity would like bottles of polish.

Probably a silly suggestion but you could possibly franken them and create a new colour you do like by mixing the colours together. Just a thought if you didn't want to give them away.

I would mix two unused polishes to create a third color. :)

I sell them for $2 each, then when I get tired of seeing them I give them to nursing homes. I usually sell enough to but a few new bottles.

The nail schools usually like donations also

Sent from my MB200 using SalonGeek

Probably a silly suggestion but you could possibly franken them and create a new colour you do like by mixing the colours together. Just a thought if you didn't want to give them away.
Claire, I've never heard of the word, "Franken". What does it mean?

Basically it means mixing up the colours together and creating a whole new colour.

I've seen people do it with a half used bottle of clear polish, they add drops of other colours and create a new one.

Here is a link for how to do one, with adding some glitter to an already made polish, but I think the same rules still apply for mixing just colours together.

Frankenpolish 101: A Crash Course In The Art Of “Frankening” « Dr. Frankenpolish

Basically it means mixing up the colours together and creating a whole new colour.

I've seen people do it with a half used bottle of clear polish, they add drops of other colours and create a new one.

Here is a link for how to do one, with adding some glitter to an already made polish, but I think the same rules still apply for mixing just colours together.

Frankenpolish 101: A Crash Course In The Art Of “Frankening” « Dr. Frankenpolish
Thank you, Claire. That link was very interesting. I think I know what my next project is going to be!

I would put them on freegle, they will get snapped up! Probably by a teenage girl, maybe by a Mum who wants to paint nails at a PTA fundraiser.

Please have a google of Give and Make Up. It's charity that may accept them. x

What makes are they? And how many do you have? Try and water marble with them China glaze, opi, nyc and loads of other makes water marble, I love water marbling. Check out mysimplelittlepleasures on you tube. Or failing that send them to me:D
Jo.x

Frankenstein - taking parts and making a whole!

What makes are they? And how many do you have? Try and water marble with them China glaze, opi, nyc and loads of other makes water marble, I love water marbling. Check out mysimplelittlepleasures on you tube. Or failing that send them to me:D
Jo.x

Oh wow, I've not seen this before, really pretty.

Please have a google of Give and Make Up. It's charity that may accept them. x
Thank you very much for this post. I am going to contact them and see if they will accept the products I have, and I'll let you know the outcome.

Latest posts

Back