What do you pay your Nail Techs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBelize

Reaction score
Our hair stylists make 50% of whatever they do. Do nail techs usually make the same? We are implementing nails into our hair salon and are not sure what the nail tech should be paid. I think (not sure) that there is more product cost for nail techs mainly because they are using expensive product on each and every client, whereas hair stylists only use expensive product on those requiring color. They use minimal product on clients coming in for a cut and blowdry...

In the assisted living salon I work, I pay 25% to the hairdresser who runs the salon. I also purchase all my own supplies.

I know some salons provide product for nail techs but then charge a larger percentage. IMHO, if the nail tech provides all her/his own products, then 50% is a bit too high for rent. I think 25-35% is a more fair percentage. HTH! :)

I supply all my own products and I have to pay the hair salon 40% of what I take, this is quite common in my area.hth x

I supply all my own products and I have to pay the hair salon 40% of what I take, this is quite common in my area.hth x

I rented space at a few salons in Essex and never paid anything like 40% of my takings.

It all depends on the salon, location and potential business. You could start of at a percentage of the nail technician's takings (say 20%), reviewable after 3 months.

In my case, I own the salon and I will be paying for the product, etc. So basically it comes down to how we split it. I was thinking of 50% to the salon (there is quite a bit of overhead), 30% to the nail tech and 20% for supplies...Would this be reasonable?

In my case, I own the salon and I will be paying for the product, etc. So basically it comes down to how we split it. I was thinking of 50% to the salon (there is quite a bit of overhead), 30% to the nail tech and 20% for supplies...Would this be reasonable?

IMO, if you are purchasing the supplies, then the tech should get 40%. :)

i gave 30% and supplied my own product which i think is the better option for example i was the only one in my salon who could offer calgel so i was the only one who could supply the product.
i always knew when i was running out of stuff and didnt have to rely on others to get more in (or not get it in!)
and what if you, for whatever reason have to get a new nail tech in?if that person is trained in a different product to the previous one you have a bit of a problem
just my two pence worth!

I think 40% to the nail technician is more reasonable, especially if you want to attract a good one. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back