What do your children eat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did any if you see Louis Theroux's programme recently about the way kids are being medicated for behavioural issues in the US?
I wouldn't judge anyone because you don't know what's happening in someone's life but that programme made me very uncomfortable . I couldn't help but feel that a generation of kids were being experimented on and what kind of adults would they become. Very un- nerving.

Did any if you see Louis Theroux's programme recently about the way kids are being medicated for behavioural issues in the US?
I wouldn't judge anyone because you don't know what's happening in someone's life but that programme made me very uncomfortable . I couldn't help but feel that a generation of kids were being experimented on and what kind of adults would they become. Very un- nerving.

No never seen it will search it and see if I can find it,

So children were taken medication for an experiment for their behavioural problems?

All home cooking, everything made from scratch, we love food in this house and i love cooking, i have loads of books on what foods are good for what in the immunity system etc, we don't eat processed anything, i dont cook in the microwave ever, choc biscuits are there but get dismissed in favour for savoury snacks, in fact the ones who tend to want to get their hands on the choc biscuits are the ones who dont get allowed them at home, im not kidding either lol

and im guessing this is not what you wanted to hear mm lol

Everything in moderation I say! My kids are a healthy weight, have good teeth and are rarely poorly. They are allowed a few sweets if they eat their tea which I cook from scratch at least 5 nights a week, an occasional biscuit, a packet of crisps every now and then. They snack on yogurt, fruit and cheese, bread sticks and rice cakes, carrot sticks and sugarsnap peas. My son is a very fussy eater and it's a struggle sometimes but I don't think chicken nuggets and chips or pizza every now and then will do them any harm and it's my job to educate them that this is a treat, not every day food.

P.s. I grew up on rice crispies, egg, chips and beans, lunchbox with a white bread marmite sandwich, a penguin and a bottle of squash. I'm a healthy weight, rarely ill and only have one filling, and like everything (except olives, nasty little things).

All home cooking, everything made from scratch, we love food in this house and i love cooking, i have loads of books on what foods are good for what in the immunity system etc, we don't eat processed anything, i dont cook in the microwave ever, choc biscuits are there but get dismissed in favour for savoury snacks, in fact the ones who tend to want to get their hands on the choc biscuits are the ones who dont get allowed them at home, im not kidding either lol

and im guessing this is not what you wanted to hear mm lol

Lol we all have our opinions and deal with situations differently,

I was genuinely interested in what problems would later develop as my children are still young, x

Lol we all have our opinions and deal with situations differently,

I was genuinely interested in what problems would later develop as my children are still young, x

Okay, when kids are growing up and they have all these obstacles to overcome some of which can affect their self-esteem, how they feel about themselves, primary school kids can be quite cruel sometimes, so if you add this to the pot and they happen to remember that food was taken away from them (now, you know it was just to help them eat better) but they just see it as a form of punishment, so when someone (at school say or wherever) makes them feel bad about themselves, which kids do from time to time (rightly or wrongly) they might decide not to eat.
this is why i wouldnt xxx

Interesting thread, I don't have kids, I was brought up on home made food nothing was restricted but generally there was no smackary what my mum calls junk food in the house, my dad won't eat anything out of a microwave, he always made me feel as if fruit was the most amazing thing, you really felt although it was a teat ,was next to never ill as a child, im not a fussy eatter I can count on one hand the foods I don't like and I don't cope well with fussy eatters either.

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Okay, when kids are growing up and they have all these obstacles to overcome some of which can affect their self-esteem, how they feel about themselves, primary school kids can be quite cruel sometimes, so if you add this to the pot and they happen to remember that food was taken away from them (now, you know it was just to help them eat better) but they just see it as a form of punishment, so when someone (at school say or wherever) makes them feel bad about themselves, which kids do from time to time (rightly or wrongly) they might decide not to eat.
this is why i wouldnt xxx

Thanks I understand what your saying, although I see it as them choosing not to eat it not me taking it away.
Well anyway no issues with my girls not eating properly.
This whole subject really interests me especially since my niece is such poor eater but I have opinions on that..

My child is the worlds fussiest eater, she won't eat chips, cakes, veg, fruit, fruit juice(which I don't mind) spag bol, anything with sauce, I could go on! She likes fish fingers, sweet corn, pizza and dried pasta, water and chocolate. That's all she eats! I took her to her friends party last week and it was embarrassing because I kept saying "sorry she doesn't like sandwiches, she doesn't like cupcakes or strawberries either" all she ate was some crisps and water! Honestly I worry about her every day but she is so stubborn, she's nearly 4 so there is no way of forcing food down her, she's a nightmare taking her out for lunch because all she will eat is pizza! I hope she gets better when she gets older, she definitely takes after me

My son (now 14) had everything we had when he started solids, I never gave him baby food from a jar, it was all fresh home cooked foods, he was a good eater until the day he was 2 and poorly one day and gave him a fruit salad so he had something to eat, took me 3 months to get him off those, he refused anything apart from fruit.

After that was sorted he ate, and still does eat what's put I front of him, if I'm cooking it he's going to eat it, lol, I teach him to cook simple things too, tuna pasta bake, he makes a mean fish cake - better than mine, spag Bol from scratch bless him, he'd rather have mash than chips, we never have ready meals, it's all fresh produce, we're lucky to have a few people in the village who grow their own veg and sell it on a table in their front garden at a fraction if the shop prices.

We do have a take away twice a month as a treat and there is always crisps, biscuits and chocolate bars in the cupboards and the fruit bowl is always full and he'd rather munch his way through grapes and little oranges with a Greek yoghurt than raid the junk cupboard.

It's my job as "mum" to give him the best start in life and teach him the benefits of a healthy diet, no matter what time I get home after work we always have a proper meal,

So do we think it costs less or more to feed our children a healthy diet?

Do you think it comes down to money, naivety or just can't be bothered?

I personally think fruit and veg can be pricey however if they doubled the price I'd still buy it, but generally I think it's cheaper to eat healthily.

Iv lots track of how many clients have said to me
oh I got such n such from farmfoods the kids loved it you should try it,
eeeek I wouldn't feed that to my dog!!

So do we think it costs less or more to feed our children a healthy diet?

Do you think it comes down to money, naivety or just can't be bothered?

I personally think fruit and veg can be pricey however if they doubled the price I'd still buy it, but generally I think it's cheaper to eat healthily.

Iv lots track of how many clients have said to me
oh I got such n such from farmfoods the kids loved it you should try it,
eeeek I wouldn't feed that to my dog!!

It probably costs roughly the same but you get much less of it as you're leaving out all the unhealthy snacks and unwanted treats, probably have to collect fresh fruit and veg twice as often in the week so spend more in the long run. I also think that money, nativity and the can't be bothered attitude each play a large part. Supersizing everything these days and the amount of fast food restaurants combined with the remainder of eating outlets all competing on price to serve the cheapest meal probably doesn't fair highly on the healthy side either.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

My mum was strict with food but once I hit about 12 on the way to school I would buy cans of coke etc so sometimes you can't control it.

I don't have kids yet but know there will be no junk food, nothing processed etc

I think a lot of it's down to naivety and laziness!

Me and my friend on the way to school use to buy iced donuts and eat them on the way lol

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't have any children yet but I am 5 months pregnant and ready this thread and another with interest. I have been very vocal about the diet my niece has and why I think she is such a fussy eater. I am now worried that I will not be able to practice what I preach however I think if from a young age children so not have the choice to eat or don't eat it and it's all they know then they will eat. I will be planning on making everything from scratch and nothing processed however I really don't know what to expect so will just need to try and I have found it very helpful reading through this and the different opinions people have.

I'm not saying that my kids never got goodies .....They did of course ..But the food they ate was food ...Not confectionary marketed as food . Some of the breakfast cereals are 50 percent sugar ...thats not food ,its not good for them to eat and it encourages a sweet tooth. If sugar can rot teeth which is a hard substance what is it able to do to soft internal tissues ?
Let them have treats by all means but in moderation .

I don't have any children yet but I am 5 months pregnant and ready this thread and another with interest. I have been very vocal about the diet my niece has and why I think she is such a fussy eater. I am now worried that I will not be able to practice what I preach however I think if from a young age children so not have the choice to eat or don't eat it and it's all they know then they will eat. I will be planning on making everything from scratch and nothing processed however I really don't know what to expect so will just need to try and I have found it very helpful reading through this and the different opinions people have.

The best way to do this is to spend one day a month cooking all babies meals and buying small pots (baby aisle asda) and freeze everything
Gina Ford contented weaning is amazing and very simple to follow, it's quite strict and introduces certain foods first, all 3 of my girls followed this and they eat mostly everything,
Freezing in big batches is great for saving money, ensuring your baby is eating correctly and it's very convenient.

Good luck with your pregnancy x

The best way to do this is to spend one day a month cooking all babies meals and buying small pots (baby aisle asda) and freeze everything
Gina Ford contented weaning is amazing and very simple to follow, it's quite strict and introduces certain foods first, all 3 of my girls followed this and they eat mostly everything,
Freezing in big batches is great for saving money, ensuring your baby is eating correctly and it's very convenient.

Good luck with your pregnancy x

Thanks so much for this. I will definitely keep this in mind and I have heard a lot about the Gina ford book (mostly negative) however it would be a case of taking what you want from it I think. I will have a wee look and might buy it. Again thanks for the advice.

Emma

Thanks so much for this. I will definitely keep this in mind and I have heard a lot about the Gina ford book (mostly negative) however it would be a case of taking what you want from it I think. I will have a wee look and might buy it. Again thanks for the advice.

Emma

Yea a lot is negative because of the strict routine nowadays people don't like that, my friend also followed it and her 2 are like my girls fab eaters, you can only research and make a decision that suits your family,
When the youngest was weaning at 6 months I had an 18th month old and a 31/2 yr old and my hubby in afghan, so for me it was so important to have a routine
I did buy annabel karmells books too but didn't follow them just used some recipes her approach was more laid back, strict routine also helps with sleeping all 3 slept 12hrs at night from 4-6 wks old so it's not all bad.x

Yea a lot is negative because of the strict routine nowadays people don't like that, my friend also followed it and her 2 are like my girls fab eaters, you can only research and make a decision that suits your family,
When the youngest was weaning at 6 months I had an 18th month old and a 31/2 yr old and my hubby in afghan, so for me it was so important to have a routine
I did buy annabel karmells books too but didn't follow them just used some recipes her approach was more laid back, strict routine also helps with sleeping all 3 slept 12hrs at night from 4-6 wks old so it's not all bad.x

That's great. Hope I am as successful as you at this!!!! Such a worrier. Definitely agree a strict routine is needed though. I just had a wee look online so will invest in the weaning book and the sleep one I think. That's my 2 biggest things I am thinking about and if you get them right everything else should hopefully fall into place. Here's hoping. Emma x

Latest posts

Back