What do your children eat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm29

Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking about what children eat nowadays,

So what do yours eat and are they good eaters?

My youngest is 14 now but I always made everything from scratch, still do, don't have a microwave and seldom buy frozen food .

When they were little I would only buy treats on the weekend , wouldn't buy sugary cereals, fizzy drinks or dilutables .

They used to follow me around the supermarket saying please can we have this there's no sugar in it.

Anyways they could only eat what was in the house .....so they couldn't fill themselves up with rubbish because it wasn't there. They eat their meals because they were hungry.....hunger is good sauce ...very true.

I never pandered to them , they could eat it or do without....they ate it and are the better for it.

My youngest is 14 now but I always made everything from scratch, still do, don't have a microwave and seldom buy frozen food .

When they were little I would only buy treats on the weekend , wouldn't buy sugary cereals, fizzy drinks or dilutables .

They used to follow me around the supermarket saying please can we have this there's no sugar in it.

Anyways they could only eat what was in the house .....so they couldn't fill themselves up with rubbish because it wasn't there. They eat their meals because they were hungry.....hunger is good sauce ...very true.

I never pandered to them , they could eat it or do without....they ate it and are the better for it.

Rinn I am so glad other people have the same attitude as me,

My girls like yours eat fresh food made from scratch, not allowed fizzy juice, sugary cereal, choc flavoured cereal and my freezer is full of fresh meat. No processed food.

If they don't want a meal I don't stress and they know they will get nothing else, but this very rarely happens they love their food.

My last two children were extended breast feeders, I did baby led weaning, no blending, no puree, no mashing, only food that I'd cooked, all home made..
They are now 16 and 5 and both still eat healthy meals at home.
My 16yro now eats whatever she likes when she is out.
I don't buy crisps, choc, wafers, biscuits, sweets etc
My kids snack on raw carrots, or plum tomatoes.

My 5yro has been dairy free since birth, she was also egg and soya free too but egg was reintroduced at 2yrs and soya at 4yrs tho we are still mainly off soya.
She was intolerant to soya but very allergic to dairy and carries an epipen for it.
I was also strict dairy free for three years as the allergen went through my milk.

She is allowed one Pk sweets on a Saturday after lunch, this includes Easter time and christmas time when she gets given treats from family.
She knows no different so it isn't an issue, it all just goes into her cupboard.

Her pudding treat is sugar free jelly if we do any puds.

People often ask what she can eat BUT she eats very well, very healthily.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm exactly the same, I hardly ever buy frozen, I have two children my little girl is nearly 5 and my little boy is 1 always made their food from scratch from weaning and I still do and both eat whatever I make and they love their fruit a typical snack or dessert is different chopped fruit. My little girl does get treats every so often, first time my little girl had chocolate she was 2! My family thought and still think I'm too strict, nearly had a heart attack when my mother in law was going to feed my little boy at 6 months a sausage!! My husband swiftly told her no and why lol. Children only dictate what they want if you let them, my little boy would eat 24/7 of you let him his screams when I don't give him anymore food but he spins stops when he realised he don't her anymore (sorry I will stop I'm waffling now!)

My last two children were extended breast feeders, I did baby led weaning, no blending, no puree, no mashing, only food that I'd cooked, all home made..
They are now 16 and 5 and both still eat healthy meals at home.
My 16yro now eats whatever she likes when she is out.
I don't buy crisps, choc, wafers, biscuits, sweets etc
My kids snack on raw carrots, or plum tomatoes.

My 5yro has been dairy free since birth, she was also egg and soya free too but egg was reintroduced at 2yrs and soya at 4yrs tho we are still mainly off soya.
She was intolerant to soya but very allergic to dairy and carries an epipen for it.
I was also strict dairy free for three years as the allergen went through my milk.

She is allowed one Pk sweets on a Saturday after lunch, this includes Easter time and christmas time when she gets given treats from family.
She knows no different so it isn't an issue, it all just goes into her cupboard.

Her pudding treat is sugar free jelly if we do any puds.

People often ask what she can eat BUT she eats very well, very healthily.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Jeez that must have been hard to start with but as you said she doesn't know any different x

Rinn I am so glad other people have the same attitude as me,

My girls like yours eat fresh food made from scratch, not allowed fizzy juice, sugary cereal, choc flavoured cereal and my freezer is full of fresh meat. No processed food.

If they don't want a meal I don't stress and they know they will get nothing else, but this very rarely happens they love their food.

Good for you, my girls 21 and 18 can cook and bake very well . I'm working on the boys cooking skills.
I am happy with the fact that 2 of them have no fillings and the other 2 only have 2 each. But better than that they have had nearly no antibiotics and that is ...I am convinced because of their diet.

My oldest had several antibiotics from a baby till 2 year old because every time she was teething she got a chest infection....I turned to a clean diet and homeopathy and the next anti biotic she got was when she was 13 and picked up impetigo in school.

I'm not bragging or preaching but I hope someone may read this thread and consider the amount of processed sugary food that they or their children are eating and make a change. Most Breakfast cereals should be in the confectionary aisle for instance as should a lot of yogurts . Read you labels peeps .

Oh and for drinks you can offer my little girl any drink and she always picks water normally asks for ice cubes as well. My little boy drinks water during the day as well

My two (age 5&7) have a great appetite. They have only been fed with fresh good food. They always have wholesome meals and veg with most dinners.

However they are allowed sugary cereals, but they love rice crispies,wheetabix and special k so they have a good choice at breakfast or they have eggs etc.

They are allowed sweets,crisps, ice cream and do have pudding after most meals, my sons favourite is bananas and custard/yoghurt.

They almost always choose fruit over sweets. Especially my little girl, she loves all fruit. She also loves raw veg such as carrots,mushrooms and brocoli which she will eat on the way round tesco haha.
There is never any processed food as such but when they go to their nans in the week they do have nuggets, mash and veg/beans.

I think its all in moderation. I don't restrict them from having sweets and goodies as long as they ate all their fruit and veg. They don't get treats if they dont eat their dinner but that never happens often. The option is their for them.

They have always been brought up this way especially when they were babies as I couldn't have them being fussy and as babies they have no choice what to eat.

I also go by the rule if food is not eaten then it will be taken away and there will be nothing after and nothing to their next meal.

On the other hand, my 16 year old sister is so fussy. She eats no veg, only chicken for meat and cheese pasta. She eats veg at mine and at my inlaws but because my parents have never made her eat the things she turned her nose up at, she doesnt eat them and chooses what she likes. I find it crazy as she does eat most things with me but she refuses at home.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Good for you, my girls 21 and 18 can cook and bake very well . I'm working on the boys cooking skills.
I am happy with the fact that 2 of them have no fillings and the other 2 only have 2 each. But better than that they have had nearly no antibiotics and that is ...I am convinced because of their diet.

My oldest had several antibiotics from a baby till 2 year old because every time she was teething she got a chest infection....I turned to a clean diet and homeopathy and the next anti biotic she got was when she was 13 and picked up impetigo in school.

I'm not bragging or preaching but I hope someone may read this thread and consider the amount of processed sugary food that they or their children are eating and make a change. Most Breakfast cereals should be in the confectionary aisle for instance as should a lot of yogurts . Read you labels peeps .

Couldn't agree more, the girls are now 7,5 & 4 and never ill, perfect skin and teeth

I am very proud of myself and them regarding eating, we live in such a fast food/ convenient food world these days and so many people don't realise how important healthy eating is.

My 4yr old told her gran today that she had pork shoulder the other day for her tea and my mum said ohh that sounds nice and she said gran it's really called pulled pork and it's a pigs shoulder. It was hilarious she had it last Sunday and she couldn't wait to tell my mum.
Lovely to see her so excited.

Certain cereals should be banned and kids yogurts are crazily high in sugar.

It's all about educating people

Oh and for drinks you can offer my little girl any drink and she always picks water normally asks for ice cubes as well. My little boy drinks water during the day as well

Oh mine too my eldest won't drink anything other than water
Well she likes a particular fresh apple juice but she gets it once in a blue moon as it's bad for their teeth but she knows this so it's a treat

I have always cooked from scratch and my children had much the same as yours and I could have written your first post.

I believe that food should be eaten in it's most natural form, so I don't go for any processed foods. A lot of food is easier to cook from scratch than to use a jar, pasta bake for instance.

I did fall into the cereal trap though and thought I was offering my children a healthy breakfast option until someone explained how they are made and just how unhealthy they are. Those breakfast biscuits should be taken off the shelves.

My children didn't eat rubbish because I didn't buy it and didn't have it in the house. They only had dilute as a treat.

Whenever they come to visit me, I ask if they would like to go out for a meal and they both say no, I'd rather have "mummy cooking" as they call it.

Oh mine too my eldest won't drink anything other than water
Well she likes a particular fresh apple juice but she gets it once in a blue moon as it's bad for their teeth but she knows this so it's a treat

It's so much better for them, my mother in law couldn't get why i only give the baby water during the day. My mother on the other hand sticks to everything I say the kids can/can't have, dread to think what my mother in law gives them when they stay there, I do have my little girl come back from there saying oh but nanny let me have it!

It's so much better for them, my mother in law couldn't get why i only give the baby water during the day. My mother on the other hand sticks to everything I say the kids can/can't have, dread to think what my mother in law gives them when they stay there, I do have my little girl come back from there saying oh but nanny let me have it!

It can get awkward, my MIL is the exact same, but we are getting there 7 yrs on,

One of mine came home one day years ago with Nutella , I was quietly fuming, they plastered it on toast and were sickened by it , I took great satisfaction with pouring the boiling kettle on what was left and washing it away ...such dirt. They have never bothered with it since.

It can get awkward, my MIL is the exact same, but we are getting there 7 yrs on,

Same here, if it's my mum I will just say no however feel awkward when it's the MIL so I get my husband to say instead! Last time he stayed there she told me his had a really sore bottom I said how unusual this is for him then she said she had fed him jar food! His never had jar food before, so annoying as I always pack all his food so she doesn't need to give him anything else

Did anyone see the benefits programme through the week

One wee boy was eating cereal with a tablespoon (described as not a lot) of sugar on it at midnight he was then up til about 4am and the parents couldn't understand why he wouldn't sleep!!

One of mine came home one day years ago with Nutella , I was quietly fuming, they plastered it on toast and were sickened by it , I took great satisfaction with pouring the boiling kettle on what was left and washing it away ...such dirt. They have never bothered with it since.

Lol my MIL sent my little girl home with lucky charms then went in the cupboard when my little girl went to bed they went in the bin! May as well give her spoons of sugar

Did anyone see the benefits programme through the week

One wee boy was eating cereal with a tablespoon (described as not a lot) of sugar on it at midnight he was then up til about 4am and the parents couldn't understand why he wouldn't sleep!!

Didn't see this, what are kids doing at up 12 anyway!! Let alone without the sugar!

Latest posts

Back