What do your children eat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great. Hope I am as successful as you at this!!!! Such a worrier. Definitely agree a strict routine is needed though. I just had a wee look online so will invest in the weaning book and the sleep one I think. That's my 2 biggest things I am thinking about and if you get them right everything else should hopefully fall into place. Here's hoping. Emma x

Completely you can deal with anything else during the day,
2 tips to any new mum (could write a boom with them though)
* don't allow baby to settle only with cuddles baby needs to fall asleep on their own
* don't stress yourself out with breast feeding if it's not working switch to bottle, health professional are not allowed to be seen advising bottle fed but infact most of them bottle feed.

Miss my babies so much,

Completely you can deal with anything else during the day,
2 tips to any new mum (could write a boom with them though)
* don't allow baby to settle only with cuddles baby needs to fall asleep on their own
* don't stress yourself out with breast feeding if it's not working switch to bottle, health professional are not allowed to be seen advising bottle fed but infact most of them bottle feed.

Miss my babies so much,

I really appreciate all this advice. I am so excited about becoming a mum but also so nervous as I might not be at to live up to what I expect myself to achieve. I am planning on trying to breast feed but completely get what you are saying coz sometimes it's just not meant to be and won't get myself too stressed if its not working out.
I am quite vocal about my opinions on things to others so would hate to have to eat my words if I could not get my baby into a routine and if my child ended up only eating chicken nuggets and chips with dippy sauce (ketchup). Aaarrrggghhh.

I have big ideas. Hopefully they all fall into place. Xx

I really appreciate all this advice. I am so excited about becoming a mum but also so nervous as I might not be at to live up to what I expect myself to achieve. I am planning on trying to breast feed but completely get what you are saying coz sometimes it's just not meant to be and won't get myself too stressed if its not working out.
I am quite vocal about my opinions on things to others so would hate to have to eat my words if I could not get my baby into a routine and if my child ended up only eating chicken nuggets and chips with dippy sauce (ketchup). Aaarrrggghhh.

You will make them fall into place there is so much pressure on new mums these days and it's such a shame as most of the stuff they tell you is nonsense and they change their minds every year,
For routine it's just consistency, which might be hard to start with but makes the months and yrs to follow so much simpler

You will do just grand x

So do we think it costs less or more to feed our children a healthy diet?

Do you think it comes down to money, naivety or just can't be bothered?

I personally think fruit and veg can be pricey however if they doubled the price I'd still buy it, but generally I think it's cheaper to eat healthily.

Iv lots track of how many clients have said to me
oh I got such n such from farmfoods the kids loved it you should try it,
eeeek I wouldn't feed that to my dog!!

I would say it probably costs more to feed children a healthy diet, fruit and veg are quite expensive and rarely on offer.

I hate the supermarkets that have stands of sticky buns and cakes all on offer in between the vegetable counters.

In the country I used to live in, we had a choice of salted or paprika crisps. Who needs 100 different (artificial) flavours? My children couldn't believe the size of the crisps aisle when we first visited the uk.

More recently I have been shopping in Aldi. I love their fruit and veg, all stays fresh for much longer and is cheaper. Because there is not so much choice in the other foods that we buy, we don't spend long in the shop and are not tempted by silly offers. We are spending a lot less on our grocery shop this way. Certain foods we buy in other shops, like coffee, but again, we don't linger in the stores.

Talking to some of the people that I work(ed) with, I was surprised to hear that some of them don't cook at all, have no idea how to cook and are therefore surprised at the calorie count of some foods when they are trying to be good. Eg one woman was surprised that if she added mayonnaise to her salad it increased the calories by 2/3rds. Erm.. its basically just oil so of course it will be calorific.

I think if you can teach your children to cook, you are helping them to make good choices for themselves later in life too. Home grown is of course fab if you have the space and time!

I would say trust your instincts, they really do kick in when you have had a baby. Mum knows best! (mine are 23 and 20)

Isn't it just common sense? Probably being a little flippant here. The one thing my mother always told me was to always offer a little water, most of the time parents forget the baby may be thirsty.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Isn't it just common sense? Probably being a little flippant here. The one thing my mother always told me was to always offer a little water, most of the time parents forget the baby may be thirsty.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yea but the midwives and health visitors nowadays are a blinking nightmare, constantly contradicting themselves,
The latest nonsense is not to bath a baby everyday only once a week,

Yea but the midwives and health visitors nowadays are a blinking nightmare, constantly contradicting themselves,
The latest nonsense is not to bath a baby everyday only once a week,

What a load of rubbish! To get mine into a routine I bathed them every night only a little bath just so they knew bath bottle then bed and they are perfectly fine. I think some is common sense as well as mothers instinct. When it comes to night feeds I never turned lights on done everything in the dark that way they know it's sleep time and not awake time! X

I am home cook very simple but very yummy I feed my kids chicken potatoes and veg, Shepard pie meat balls chicken soup. Home made lasagne.
I try a steer clear of fast food and ready meals it's an ingrained jewish mummy thing, and food is so important in my culture.
Kids just like simple food that tastes good and they love fruit biggest treat they could get

Mine eat a balanced diet. Usually pasta, fish, chicken, lamb, home made beef burgers with home made chips. My girls won't eat McDonalds as they've looked it up and it's made of "pink slime". I buy expensive good quality sausages for sausage and mash. We don't have anything tinned apart from baked beans. The only frozen stuff is meat I've bought fresh and peas and fish fingers which I'll do if I'm short of time, so maybe once a fortnight. Their favourite junk food is Subway or sushi. Not really that junky, especially the sushi.

They don't like pizza or hotdogs but unfortunately love sweets. They eat loads of veg but hate tomatoes and mushrooms and will pick onions out of casseroles. A bowl of raw chopped up sweetheart cabbage is a favourite. Snacks are carrots, celery, fruit, breadsticks and rice cakes.

We have a brilliant local farm shop it's reasonable prices and I'm also lucky that my girls love fruit and veg !
They have a healthy appetite , one mum from the school was telling me about when she had the fat fryer on for kids tea ! I thought eew deep fried food for 5 yr olds ? Also you get the microwave meal mums someone I know her and her daughter live off these meals and she finds it funny !
Fresh food for me and mine Xxx

I've just started shopping at Aldi and as a household we're eating so much fresh fruit and veg. Their prices are fantastic too.

I think a good balanced diet is what's needed. Yes we have some 'naughties' but it's about moderation- something as a family we are learning and getting much better at.

With bubs on the way I can't wait to start making him his own food and freezing when it's time to wean.

Sometimes I think you just need the chance, motivation and help to get in to the right frame of mind when cooking.

Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's so much better for them, my mother in law couldn't get why i only give the baby water during the day. My mother on the other hand sticks to everything I say the kids can/can't have, dread to think what my mother in law gives them when they stay there, I do have my little girl come back from there saying oh but nanny let me have it!

Lots of people look at me baffled when i say my daughter only drinks milk or water. Why would you give a child sugary juice if they like water? There's no nutrients in it, it's just rubbish.

'Sugar free' things are worse! The artificial sweeteners in them are horrible chemicals - they are always being linked to diabetes and cancer etc. I eat/drink sugar free things myself but I wouldn't feed it to my daughter we she's not old enough to weigh up the risks and decide for herself.

I'm not an expert in nutrition but I try my best. She has weetabix with sultanas every morning, no sugar of course.

For lunch she has things like home made fish pie or cheesy pasta with ham and salad. Luckily she likes wholemeal pasta, and she also quite likes a little side salad of cucumber, radish, lettuce and cherry tomatoes.

She's gone off carrots and peas recently which is a bit annoying :rolleyes:
For dessert she has fruit, rice pudding, yoghurt etc.
Treats are usually grapes, sultanas or the occasional chocolate button :Scared::Scared: haha... I don't want her to grow up thinking chocolate is forbidden, I have visions of her rebelling in her teens, sneaking chocolate into her bedroom and becoming obese!

Latest posts

Back