What foods and decorations do you make?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails<3

Reaction score
As the title says, what things do you make for Christmas time?

This will be the first time I will have Christmas at my own home and can't wait. We have always been round my mums. I have 2 small children 4&6 so want to get them involved as much as possible and start making decorations and christmas treats.

What do you all make to eat on and around Xmas. What do you have for Xmas dinner? X

I have Xmas cupcakes, gingerbread men and things like that and going to be making Xmas decorations with the kids.

Does anybody have any recipes they would like to share?

Any help or ideas much appreciated x x

Last edited:
Ooh lucky you! I always make my cake, pudding, brandy butter, stuffing, cranberry and bread sauces from scratch - they taste so much better in my opinion and it is all part of the build up! Decoration wise I tend to make bits and bobs for the table settings and sometimes a wreath (always a bit wonky looking!) but that is where the creativity ends!

I don't make decorations any more as my kids are big now. BUT some of the tree decorations are ones that they made themselves years ago and some my dear old mammy made are hung up with a mixture of pride that she could make something so lovely as sorrow as she's not longer with us.
My kids love decorating the tree and these old baubles always gets them laughing remembering when they made them.
Every decoration we have has it's own place in the house and has to be put in the same place every year.

we also have to have the same routine and foods every Christmas, that's not because of me , the kids like that , the like that we always do this or that Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
My eldest girl now lives in London and I suggested making a different dessert this year for a change....Oh no, you can't do that, we always have trifle for Christmas she said...
She loves the tradition of Christmas and the way we do it in our house. That's what she holds dear and the others too of course except that fact that she doesn't live at home any more so it makes it more special for her.

As a kid, I loved making paper snowflakes and decorating sugar cookies. My aunt (the baker of the fam) used to make them from scratch, and she'd let us kids get involved in the mixing and cutting out part. We used to also make gingerbread houses and she'd set them up where the toy train ran around them. I miss those days :(

Nothing... My mum wouldn't use home Made decorations. All our Christmas food is easy cook so its microwave, frozen or pre cooked xoxo

Several years ago we made some salt dough rocking horses and threaded red ribbon through, we had a rocking horse cutter and used a garlic press for the mane and tail, and they looked adorable, just varnished.

we still have them and if they're a bit damp when they come out of the loft I pop them in the oven on a baking tray for 15 minutes on a low heat and they stiffen up lol

I make loads for Xmas, it helps get me in the festive spirit. I make my own fudge, cookies, Xmas cake and puddings, caramelised onion chutney, chilli jam, cranberry sauce, bread sauce and spiced apple chutney as well as homemade baileys - I give a lot of these out as gifts to friends and family, I make little hampers of home made goodies and everyone loves it.

I have a massive family and everyone goes round my mum and dads or Xmas dinner, everything is cooked from scratch and we all help prepare most of it the day/night before. I LOVE Xmas, it's my most favourite time of the year x

This year we are making something I made for my granny as a child (and it hung in her house until she died - so perhaps 10 yrs?). An orange with a ribbon around it and cloves pushed into the orange skin. It creates the most beautiful smell and looks very festive :)

I make loads for Xmas, it helps get me in the festive spirit. I make my own fudge, cookies, Xmas cake and puddings, caramelised onion chutney, chilli jam, cranberry sauce, bread sauce and spiced apple chutney as well as homemade baileys - I give a lot of these out as gifts to friends and family, I make little hampers of home made goodies and everyone loves it.

I have a massive family and everyone goes round my mum and dads or Xmas dinner, everything is cooked from scratch and we all help prepare most of it the day/night before. I LOVE Xmas, it's my most favourite time of the year x

This is exactly what I want to do every year! I always say I'm going to attempt it but never get round to it x

Several years ago we made some salt dough rocking horses and threaded red ribbon through, we had a rocking horse cutter and used a garlic press for the mane and tail, and they looked adorable, just varnished.

we still have them and if they're a bit damp when they come out of the loft I pop them in the oven on a baking tray for 15 minutes on a low heat and they stiffen up lol
Oh wow - thanks for the tip. I have some salt dough christmas pud decorations and they are always soggy! I now know what to do! x

This is exactly what I want to do every year! I always say I'm going to attempt it but never get round to it x

Make time for yourself over Xmas, it's so easy to get wrapped up with work and pleasing clients etc but set aside some time for Xmas preparations, I normally do my chutneys on the 2nd week of December, And I bake the cookies and fudge on Xmas eve, which is why I don't work that day - I get up bright and early and I'm normally done for lunch time, so I can take my mum to get her nails done and then to costa for slice of cake and a coffee to relax before the madness starts lol xxx

Make time for yourself over Xmas, it's so easy to get wrapped up with work and pleasing clients etc but set aside some time for Xmas preparations, I normally do my chutneys on the 2nd week of December, And I bake the cookies and fudge on Xmas eve, which is why I don't work that day - I get up bright and early and I'm normally done for lunch time, so I can take my mum to get her nails done and then to costa for slice of cake and a coffee to relax before the madness starts lol xxx

Can I come to your house for Christmas please? &#128521;

My eldest is 3 now so this is his first year of truly understanding Christmas and Santa. I've finished my shopping and wrapped all the presents. We put our tree up the first weekend in December...... so this week we are going to make some decorations. Today was paper snowflakes covered in glitter. The wee boy has hung them on the fireplace (unused may I add) he's very proud of them.
We will make salt dough decorations for the tree. And I'm still looking for more ideas.
I love the orange one. I might do that :)

I also love making mince pies. The kids love them too and this is my second year doing Xmas lunch. I'm cooking for 7 adults this year, although my mum makes a starter and my mother in law is making a dessert.
This is my favorite time of year :) xx

Ballyboo...how do you make your own Baileys?

Well today I finished my Christmas shopping :D and tonight I wrapped it all..and then sat on beauty express putting in what I hope was my last order til the new year xx

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Thank you for all your replies! X

Going to make Xmas tree brownies, choc Xmas sticks, reindeer cupcakes etc with the kids so that will be fab.

My familys tradition of Xmas dinner is

Prawn cocktail & brown bread
Turkey dinner with all trimmings
Trifles etc

So it's up to the other half to cook as he has never cooked Xmas dinner for us as always been round the parents.

Me and the kids are making decs this week which they are looking forward to.

I think the reason I love Xmas so much is because Its one of my favourite memories of my nana and grandad. Relatives from all over came all together to celebrate and was such a special occasion. This will be the first Xmas I haven't spent with my mum and she isn't too happy and is no longer speaking to me so I hope it doesn't ruin it this year. X

I've made some wooden gingerbread man decorations myself & today salt dough decs with my 2 year old which we are going to paint when dry, it would be great for everyone to post pics to give inspiration? :)

Latest posts

Back