What gave you the push to start your own business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB1

Reaction score
Would love to hear your stories of what it was that made you make the decision to start your own business! We all no it's tough starting out and making that first move! I think we could all do with a little motivation! Please share :)

I did the manicure/pedicure course at college as I was new to the country, had no friends, always interested in beauty so went and did it for fun and meeting people.

Fast forward 2 years and I'm on maternity leave due to go back to work but realise that nursery fees/salary, there wasn't much difference so I quit work and started mobile evenings, weekends and a couple of mornings a week while baby was with a childminder. 12 years on and I'm still here!

I now work much longer hours.

Would love to hear your stories of what it was that made you make the decision to start your own business! We all no it's tough starting out and making that first move! I think we could all do with a little motivation! Please share :)

I always knew i wanted to have my own place, just as im a bit spoilt and like things my own way ;-) but wanted to get experience etc under my belt. A few years ago i worked in a hotel spa, it was a hellish place to work anyway, only two therapists worked there, it was always dead as it was massively overpriced and had a reputation for being a bit snooty etc, Anyway i had booked my sons birthday week off - so i could arrange the party etc - (they didnt see me much as it was as i was forced into 48 /52 hr weeks (long long story) so i wanted him to have a great week!

leaving on the last day before my annual leave - i checked my rota - i had appointments booked in all week ! ... there must a mistake i thought... went to the manager...... 'oh im sorry we had to book these clients in you cant have your holiday' i was livid........ told them there was no way in hell i was giving up my holidays .... well they where damn sure I was...... long story short I had my week off but they made sure it was pretty much hellish when i came back, i was in the process of leaving anyway but it was that moment i though there is NO WAY Im letting that happen again!

Ive been self employed now for two years - and im now pretty much unemployable - no one is going to have me, im too used to doing my own thing! :lick:

I never miss a kids award ceremony / parents evening / birthday etc

ok its not all roses - im often up at 3 am making sure the wages are paid etc but it works for me - i get to do the mummy things but can earn full time money!

:o

Last edited:
Always wanted my own business! But after working in a salon and being majorly under paid and after doing all my beauty courses and stuff just went for it! x

I qualified 13 years ago, with a vision of buying a salon, then I got pregnant!

I spent 12 years working a cs job full time, and renting a room on a Saturday to keep my skills up.

Got married, had another baby, got a mortgage, thought the salon thing would never happen. Last year I got made redundant from the cs job and grabbed the opportunity.

Money wouldn't stretch to a salon so I set up mobile. 12 months on, and despite the initial new business struggles, I don't regret it at all!

I could never work for someone else again! The salon is still my ultimate dream, but for now I'm happy as I am!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I always wanted a salon it has been on my 'long term goals' list since I first started college. My plan was always to gain some hair and customer service experience first which I have been doing for years. Was looking for a new salon job when a few family members died [yeah 2013 sucked!] and I was left some inheritance. Used it to pay the lease on a small space for 12 months, do it up and live the dream! Am 3 months in now. I just figured I have nothing to lose and life is too short!

I hate working for other people anyway. Nobody can ever do it as good as I can pmsl.

After giving up my secretarial job with the electricity board, I trained in nails and beauty with all sorts of companies , had my first child and then Worked with some London salons, where I had also gained experience with film work , gave that up when i had my second child. It seemed a better thing to set up at home when he was 5, as it would be more under my control. At first I had some support from a local salon, but I just feel I'm better off on my own, and loving it.

Last edited:
Working non stop every day doing hundreds of massage and making my employer about a grand a day and I was getting like £40 for it.

Always being spoken to like rubbish

Never being appreciated enough

Getting questioned and not believed when I rarely phoned in sick for genuine reasons

Not being paid enough

Having that dreaded feeling when I put my holidays in and got them rejected

Working every Sunday

Working your ass off and the hotel would get all the credit for your hard work

No progression opportunities

(Sorry to rant on there)

Nicola! Xxx

After being in Retail/Makeup for 8 years I was sick to death of working weekends, missing out on special occasions, having holiday leave rejected, spoken to like rubbish I was ready to snap!
I left my job to move down south with my husband, went back into Counter work and the commute was a nightmare, I was still really homesick and could never get time off when I just wanted to go back up North to see family for the weekend. I finally broke down in front of my husband and said I can't go back to that job, I need to set my little business up now. He was totally behind me, was tough for the first 6 months but I have a steady clientele and even though it's a home salon I adore it and it doesn't even feel like I'm working. My terms, my rules, I still get to do Makeup which I love without the hard sell of worrying about targets and average units! :) x

my first post on SG!
I am currently working in a job I hate, working long hours for not nearly enough pay, getting stabbed in the back at every opportunity by the same people, getting spoken to like rubbish, and dreading waking up every morning because I know I have to go to work!!
I've always been interested in nails, particularly nail art, always did friends and family, but never really had the opportunity to train to make it a career.
I've recently started taking courses on my days off, and I'm practising on some willing models (some not so willing, haha!), so that I can start build up a mobile business.
I just want the freedom to work hours that suit me, in a job I love! I feel so excited about it all, and also SG has given me no end of ideas to promote my business once I'm all qualified and up and running! :) :)

my first post on SG!
I am currently working in a job I hate, working long hours for not nearly enough pay, getting stabbed in the back at every opportunity by the same people, getting spoken to like rubbish, and dreading waking up every morning because I know I have to go to work!!
I've always been interested in nails, particularly nail art, always did friends and family, but never really had the opportunity to train to make it a career.
I've recently started taking courses on my days off, and I'm practising on some willing models (some not so willing, haha!), so that I can start build up a mobile business.
I just want the freedom to work hours that suit me, in a job I love! I feel so excited about it all, and also SG has given me no end of ideas to promote my business once I'm all qualified and up and running! :) :)

This sounds almost identical to my situation... With being stuck in a job I hate. I have qualified but finding it tough building up a client base. Love how we can support each other on here.

I was at home mum to my two girls and started training in holistic therapies about 15 years ago. I did this mobile for a few years then went to college full time to do beauty while still doing mobile/being a mum/wife etc. I set up at home and was very happy for many years. We then moved in with my mum and I worked from hers for 6 months. It all then went tits up and we moved out the week we were meant to buy her house (while still giving her a home). It was one of the worst things that has ever happened to me. It was a very black cloud. My daughters were devastated so to soften the blow 2 things happened. They asked that 1. We get a dog and 2. I don't move my work back home. What was fine for 10 year olds wasn't so good for teenagers. The following week we got our rescue dog and he rescued us right back.
My lovely client asked if I would like to rent a room in her golf club so I moved there for 2 years. During this time my eldest daughter started to train as a beauty therapist. Realizing that one room wouldn't hack it, I started to look around and found our barn. We have been here a year and a bit and are looking at expanding. I'm now in the very special position of employing my daughter who is an excellent therapist. I have some sleepless nights but never ever hate going to work.
As they say, if you find a job you love, you never work a day in your life!

Well you did ask!

Vic x

I've worked for a variety of companies and I've hated every minute of it. I wake up and dread coming in so much I call in sick. This occurred more often after my dad past away, as I just couldn't cope with normal life and people. About 2/3 years ago I realised that I can't keep working for other people. I started making my own jewellery, to sell. But screwed it up by not doing my research correctly. I still make my jewellery but more as a hobby.

Life took another turn and I was forced to move out of my mums house. I met my partner around the same time and shortly moved in with him. I don't know what happened but I suddenly realised how much I love nails and beauty. So I took the plunge and trained in November last year, in Gelish. The aim was to save more money and slowly build my skills and go self employed in January next year.

In February this year I found out I was pregnant and realised how this was my 'get out of jail free card'. New plan, continue the awful day job until maternity leave and never return! I will build my business up but still be able to spend time with my child.

I'm so looking forward to this new adventure that I am finally embarking on.

Was in well paid job

Woke up one morning eyes opened and first words into my head out of the blue

"I'm handing in my notice today"

So I did... at a funeral lol

Had no plan

2 weeks later signed for a premises

and the rest is a beautiful happy independent story where nobody tells me what to do (apart from the customers lol)

I am so happy I love my career and know no matter what I face in life I'll always have my wax pot to get me through

Taking risks is a risk worth taking

What a great thread!

I have been doing a job I hate and that I am rubbish at, for years. I started tanning a couple of years ago and then trained in lashes. However, I carried on doing the job I hated until fairly recently when I decided to take the plunge and do beauty full-time.

It is is a bit more complicated out here in Dubai, I need to train as either a Personal Stylish or a MUA to get registration, but I'll get there.

My push was working for one too many nasty managers/owners who treated me badly and underpaid me. What is ironic is I rent a space in a hair salon and the owner there started to do the same I.e speaking to me like poo and bossing me around in front of her family members (yet nice as pie when they weren't in) and trying to sell her hair products to my nail clients while getting their nails done (you could see they stopped enjoying themselves when she did that and it was so embarrassing). But this time I could stand up to her as I am paying HER and I have no fear of losing my job if I speak up. No more salon dictator for me!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I went for an interview and got told I was too old (27) at time! So my husband suggested mobile I was unsure so was gonna give it some thought weeks later my sister took me to a psychic fare and I had a reading, she said my grandad asked what was I waiting for so I set everything up and been none stop since I started 😀

The salon i was a manager in was bought by accountants & started changing the colour ordering system to the extent that there was very little colour instock & they just would not let me order my own stock, So i left started my own salon from scratch & now my last salon as closed down.

My industry related business I started because I was sick of my boss!
And it was more convenient for while I'm studying.
My non industry related business I decided to start was because I had enough of being underestimated. I will show those ****ers that I'm not who they think I am. 👹😉

I woke up one morning and thought I need a CACI machine for myself. Went and bought one, and now get others to pay for it. Simple.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back