What has the beauty industry given you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
The last year or so in beauty has been turbulent for me but I'm now at a stage where things are making more sense. I am able to look at the beauty industry and draw a realistic line between what it has given me whilst also being aware of the limitations and how I'm best going to deal with them.

The beauty industry has given me a skill that has given me an edge to make myself more recession proof as an arts graduate. It's got me out of being bored in retail and it's a skill that's allowed me to apply for jobs that not everyone else is going for (general admin that anyone with a gcse can go for). Statistically, I think it has saved me from having to do more general and boring jobs that a lot of graduates go for.

It's given me an insight into working with people and I feel proud to actually have a concrete skill in something that I have a genuine interest in. When I was doing my training I felt proud to be able to say that I was gaining skills worthy of getting a city and guilds and nvq.

I've not made a lot of money but I've been able to buy my first car when I was willing to put in the hours. I was also able to fund further training in new treatments and products which definitely made working in the industry more rewarding.

At the moment the beauty industry is something that I don't anticipate being in by the time I'm in my thirties because as much as I'm not massively motivated by money I do want to be in a job where I can start thinking about getting bigger things done like paying a mortage and having less money worries in general in proportion to the hard work I do. I will always want to keep my hand in in some capacity even if that's just as far as doing my own nails but when it comes to earning a genuine income I anticipate going elsewhere.

Also, don't work for a bully. It's only with hindsight and reading up on it that I realised that the job I was at last year was managing their staff through intimidation and bullying. Now that I realise that I feel that I have it all sorted in my head in terms of how I was feeling so down on the beauty industry and my place in it.

I was going to do a makeup course this month because I will genuinely enjoy it but right now I'm saving up to go back to uni. A makeup course is on the to do list for later. The beauty industry has also supported and inspired my enthusiasm to learn new things. That said though, even if I was to do all the product training in the world, it still wouldn't give me a big pay rise and I'd still have to work antisocial hours so I'm hopefully not as hung up on whether I get/do product training now.

I think it's important to acknowledge what the beauty industry has given you whilst also being realistic about what it might not give you. I would urge you all to do this because this has helped me massively in recent months. Over to you :)

Last edited:
What a lovely, postive yet realistic thread! x

When I first trained and for quite a while afterwards, I had hopes I would be making an income from my new skills. Long story short, I gradually relinquished that hope, focused on the realistic prospect of achieving that and am fine with it now. I don't now, never have and never will work as a nail tech and turned a negative into the best positive I could.

I really enjoy doing nails and have gradually decided on what I do and don't like so much. I know and understand that the merest hint of treating it as a 'Hobby/interest' will offend in certain quarters, but its been a gradual evolution of my thought processes and circumstances in view of the fact I want/need the security of a decent guaranteed income and one where I can leave it all entirely behind when I come home.

Then, I can indulge my abiding interest in the wonderful world of nails and actually do what I want to do. If I don't want to do a certain system/perfect a particular technique/do things a certain way - I can! It's all my choice, I don't have to cater for the random needs of clients because I don't have any. I can, instead, 'Gift' a set to a friend occasionally. I can continue to work on my modest skills and it gives me a real lift when I'm handing money over at a shop counter etc and people ask me where I got my nails done?!? I am so chuffed, because I did them myself!

It didn't work out the way I planned, but so much in life doesn't and we have to grow, adapt and accept accordingly. I wont deny I've never felt a tinge of disappointment at how the industry is being continually diminished in terms of recognition both financial and in terms of skill, but such is life. I admire those who have made their mark! :hug:

I loved reading your post Deena! Thank you :)

I've always loved doing nails as a hobby. Even at school people used to love the nail art I did on my thumb (so I could hide it from teachers who were stricter with uniform rules lol).

When I look at the fact that I plan on doing my own nails as a long term thing I'm cool with it because the money I spent on training is what most people would pay towards a small holiday or other leisure pursuit so I don't feel that bad about it really. Also I've made a bit of a career out of it and would enjoy teaching it and all the kit I've got isn't so date sensitive that I can't use it on myself in the long run (even if I just use my wax kit for my own brows).

When I did my level three nails there was one person who was going to train as a lawyer and another as a nurse the following September and I can see where they were coming from now.

I guess not every skill has to be learnt with the view to making money/a career from it. There's a lot to be said for doing something for simply pleasure andor personal development.

Beauty is all I've done since leaving college, and it's given me the money to get my mortgage, and pay enough over the minimum a month that I shall be mortgage free by 40, to have a car, buy me the VW camper I dreamed of, and has allowed me the freedom to work the hours I want to doing something I enjoy. I have no regrets!!

I trained as a beauty therapist at the grand old age of 39, and now, nearing my 50th (THIS IS SO NOT AN ISSUE!!!!) it has given me a wonderful place to work, in our little barn salon, I employ and work with my daughter which is amazing, I have some of the best (and worst) clients in the world, and work a 4 and a half day week in a job I absolutely love. I still get excited about work, and new clients, and taking good money. My younger daughter is now looking at Unis, and I am able to take time off when needed and visit with her. I am reading Martins posts with a little envy - I'm not there yet - but we went Ltd in January, and I can already see the benefits of this!

I couldn't do anything else!

Vicki x

I am reading Martins posts with a little envy - I'm not there yet...

In fairness though, I haven't got any children to support, there's just me, my partner and two terriers!

Not a lot apart from a bad back. .. and what's with this standing up half the day? ... Not to mention potentially working weekends as well. ... ewww. Sometimes I find it hard going.

I have some fab clients though who I adore. Personally I know I would struggle and absolutely hate it trying to maintain full days doing this job back to back with clients from 9 to 6 daily, but for something to keep me occupied and enjoyable and result driven and where money has no focus I am very happy and even happier when my clients see the results of my work.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Repetitive strain and tennis elbow 😂

Repetitive strain and tennis elbow 😂

Total empathy. That's one of the reasons that beauty isn't that profitable for me in that I don't work as many hours as I could because I just can't justify the discomfort.

Latest posts

Back