What is this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn'sManicures

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just removed my aunties acrylics she had done about a week ago she had done in a salon
(see attached pic) I found a green like mark on her nail she said it does not hurt :(

Can someone help me out and tell me what it is and how has it happened

Many Thanks

Dawn

IMG_20140128_181503.jpg

Last edited:
Its a greenie! Typically from moisture trapped under the acrylic/gel. It'll grow out and it won't hurt a bit!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sometimes the acrylic can lift and water, moister can get down and becomes a fungal infection. Keep the acrylic or anything off the nails until it's grown out. Tea tree is good too for helping place on the nail and behind the nail near the nail bed hope this helps Hun xx

Moisture even ha

This is a bacteria infection. Can be caused by using unhygenic tools or lifting of the artificial nail allowing bacteria to get in.

There is no way of getting rid of it, it will grow out. Dont try to file or buff it out as the greenie more then likely goes right through the nail plate.

Once the acrylic has been removed and the air has hit it, it will die. As you've already done this it wont get any bigger or spread but do not re-use the file.

There is no need to let the green stain grow out if your auntie wants to have her nails re-done.

The facts are that if you see green staining on the plate it is the Result of what WAS a bacterial infection. Yes, caused by moisture and bacteria being trapped between the acrylic and the nail plate.

Bacteria such as the very simple pseudomonas bacteria love warm, moist and dark places and if a group start to multiply they do so very rapidly and exponentially .. In other words .. 2 become four, become 8, 16, 32 and so on .. So very rapid. The green stain comes from the waste products of the bacteria.

It needs time to grow out, BUT (and this is the important thing) as soon as you remove the acrylic, the bacteria die instantly. You can then use your cleanser and re-apply a new nail. The stain will remain, but the bacteria will be dead.

Never ignore signs of a bacteria infection. Remove, clean and reapply.

Gosh ... I must've been a slow typist tonight!! Glad we all agree ... Allan and I always do.:Love:

Last edited:
There is no need to let the green stain grow out if your auntie wants to have her nails re-done.

The facts are that if you see green staining on the plate it is the Result of what WAS a bacterial infection. Yes, caused by moisture and bacteria being trapped between the acrylic and the nail plate.

Bacteria such as the very simple pseudomonas bacteria love warm, moist and dark places and if a group start to multiply they do so very rapidly and exponentially .. In other words .. 2 become four, become 8, 16, 32 and so on .. So very rapid. The green stain comes from the waste products of the bacteria.

It needs time to grow out, BUT (and this is the important thing) as soon as you remove the acrylic, the bacteria die instantly. You can then use your cleanser and re-apply a new nail. The stain will remain, but the bacteria will be dead.

Never ignore signs of a bacteria infection. Remove, clean and reapply.

This is great info as always! I didn't know you could re apply x

This is great info as always! I didn't know you could re apply x

As long as you cleanse the nail well as you would doing your normal prep, you can re-apply immediately ... Good news for you and something new learned which is why we are here. X

Thanks geeg! Yes I didn't mean leave the nail completely free of products I meant don't try and file it out! Ouch.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you so much everyone :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

You can remove it by constantly scraping it off bit by bit. It's something that one can really get from acrylic. :)

steve barbarich

Last edited:
You can remove it by constantly scraping it off bit by bit. It's something that one can really get from acrylic. :)

I'm sorry to have to say it, but the above is really very bad advice.

You should never scrape or attempt to scrape, or buff the green staining from a bacterial infection, off the nail. This would be harmful to the nail plate because the stain can go deep within the nail plate and the plate is also much 'softer' and more easily damaged in the green area.

A bacterial infection is not something that should ever be regarded as common; ideally we should not expect to see this happen to our clients' nails, but it CAN and one needs to be able to recognise it and to deal with it quickly.

To help avoid clients getting a bacterial infection under their enhancements:

Keep nails to a regular nail length appropriate for the clients activity.

Do not over buff the nail plate during prep. Long nails create pressure ... Pressure can pop the acrylic off the surface and allow moisture beneath.

Remove enhancements correctly and never pull or force the acrylic off the nail.

Never use a drill on the natural nail surface.

REGULAR and timely maintenance ... You are more likely to see green nails if a client 'pushes it' to the max between appointments. (Should be on your after care sheet).

Warn clients (should be on your aftercare sheet) that green nails or staining needs to be dealt with promptly.

Using Solar oil daily helps to keep acrylic flexible and from becoming dry and prone to popping. (Should be on your aftercare sheet).

Lastly, Keeping, and being proud of keeping, your clients' nails in a strong and healthy state should be part of every professional's mission. If you CARE you WILL and you will not do things to the natural nails that cause harm. Be a responsible professional and try not to let the need for speed prompt you to take harmful shortcuts.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to have to say it, but the above is really very bad advice.

You should never scrape or attempt to scrape, or buff the green staining from a bacterial infection, off the nail. This would be harmful to the nail plate because the stain can go deep within the nail plate and the plate is also much 'softer' and more easily damaged in the green area.

A bacterial infection is not something that should ever be regarded as common; ideally we should not expect to see this happen to our clients' nails, but it CAN and one needs to be able to recognise it and to deal with it quickly.

To help avoid clients getting a bacterial infection under their enhancements:

Keep nails to a regular nail length appropriate for the clients activity.

Do not over buff the nail plate during prep. Long nails create pressure ... Pressure can pop the acrylic off the surface and allow moisture beneath.

Remove enhancements correctly and never pull or force the acrylic off the nail.

Never use a drill on the natural nail surface.

REGULAR and timely maintenance ... You are more likely to see green nails if a client 'pushes it' to the max between appointments. (Should be on your after care sheet).

Warn clients (should be on your aftercare sheet) that green nails or staining needs to be dealt with promptly.

Using Solar oil daily helps to keep acrylic flexible and from becoming dry and prone to popping. (Should be on your aftercare sheet).

Lastly, Keeping, and being proud of keeping, your clients' nails in a strong and healthy state should be part of every professional's mission. If you CARE you WILL and you will not do things to the natural nails that cause harm. Be a responsible professional and try not to let the need for speed prompt you to take harmful shortcuts.

Thank you so much for the advise :) everyone

Geeg I have just ordered your book :D

Getting this great advise from you on here is great shame you cant sign the copy of my book

Take Care

Latest posts

Back