What Rabbit what sort?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caz3

Reaction score
My little girl Sydney wants a rabbit but I have been putting it off as years ago I bought a rabbit for my older kids and OMG!!! What a rabbit I got she was a German Lop and grew sooooooo big she would shake her cage until she broke out no one could hold her when she got big as she was not a nice bunny ok nice to look at that was it LOL!!!

We lived in Army quarters and all the gardens were close she managed to dig her way into the nest doors garden to be with there rabbit and yes you have guessed it she had 9 babies but we had found her a new home on a farm before she had the babies so we did not have to keep them.

Sydney really want a rabbit and after reading this post makes me think I could get a nice one!!!! what sort am I looking for? and also where would I get one from?

How would I home train one I saw this talked about on the last thread?

Caz xxx

Hi hun!
I have a hose rabbit and she is fab!! She is called Poppy and she is a dwarf lop! However, I think the pet shop lied because she is massive!!!!!!!!!! She is tan and white!
I found it really easy to train her, she has a cat litter tray that she goes in and she is really good! You have to put soem of her sawdust in it from her cage though so she can smell it and then they will just get used to it!!
They will eat anything though, make sure you 'bunny proof' everything like wires and stuff!!!

HTH

Here is another piccy of her!! She is such a big fluff ball!!!!!

We have had a few rabbits in the past and I would say that they can be quite hard to handle, vicious in fact, and a few peeps I have spoken to have said the same. If I was to go over it again I'd get guinea pigs, and I love the way they talk to you, and much smaller for a child to handle.

That is a very good point Sassy!

I think we have been very lucky with ours! She loves being cuddled and she loves attention! My pal has a dutch rabbit and he is a right nasty little so and so at times!!
We've had Poppy since she was a baby so she is really used to us now!

Sassy Hassy said:
We have had a few rabbits in the past and I would say that they can be quite hard to handle, vicious in fact, and a few peeps I have spoken to have said the same. If I was to go over it again I'd get guinea pigs, and I love the way they talk to you, and much smaller for a child to handle.

Thanks Girls Kirsten yor Rabbit is the double of the one I had years ago but yours is nice and mine was not a nice Rabbit LOL!!!! We had ours from a baby but never got nice you are lucky Poppy looks great. Syd my little girl loved the photos of her bless.

Yes Sassy I have heard this time and time and I really do not want to fall in that trap again with a nasty little Rabbit or BIG rabbit like last time LOL!!!!

Thanks girls
Caz xxx

I would recommend a guinea pig over a rabbit. My sister and I both started with rabbits but they fought so I ended up with a guinea pig and she with a rabbit.. over the years my piggies :D were always much nicer than her rabbits. As Sassy said, they are easier to handle and the little noises they make make them seem much more 'interactive' (for want of a better word) than rabbits.

Just don't get a rosette or a long haired or you will be forever trimming and bathing them!

The place we got our last two, she had a whole herd of them, they lived in her garden with lots of burrows, kennels, pipes etc to a play in and a shed for the breeding mothers or ones that needed a bit more looking after. She had so many different breeds, we ended up with a little silver and grey one and a little cinnamon coloured one. Sadly neither are with us any more but they were right little characters. Guinea pigs more than rabbits like to have hidey holes and areas to play in and I'd recommend getting an ark run (small run with a housing area at one end which is easy to move around) so they have the opportunity to be inside or outside at their own choice.

One final thing, make sure you get one from a proper home rather than a pet shop or, god forbid, one of those big pet super stores

caz3 said:
My little girl Sydney wants a rabbit but I have been putting it off as years ago I bought a rabbit for my older kids and OMG!!! What a rabbit I got she was a German Lop and grew sooooooo big she would shake her cage until she broke out no one could hold her when she got big as she was not a nice bunny ok nice to look at that was it LOL!!!

We lived in Army quarters and all the gardens were close she managed to dig her way into the nest doors garden to be with there rabbit and yes you have guessed it she had 9 babies but we had found her a new home on a farm before she had the babies so we did not have to keep them.

Sydney really want a rabbit and after reading this post makes me think I could get a nice one!!!! what sort am I looking for? and also where would I get one from?

How would I home train one I saw this talked about on the last thread?

Caz xxx

i read the title to this post and have to admit i thought you were talking about a whole different rabbit!! :o :wink2:
x

Ah bless tilly your rabbit is so sweet. like a big fluff ball. i've never had guinea pigs are they quite swet tehn, do they hibernate in winter or do you ahve to bring them inside cos it gets very cold down here.
x

Well went today and got a Rabbit I am trying again as Syd really wants one.

Went to a place where they bread Rabbits local to us, picked out a lop rabbit (miniture) but saw Mum and Dad rabbit and they looked quite big LOL!!!!

We were told to get a boy as girl rabbits can get quite nasty when in season they pull hairs out to build a bed for babies. (our last rabbit was a girl!)

Kirsten I know yours is a girl but you might have been lucky.

Oh well we will see this one is around 10 weeks old I think so we will handle him everyday we pick him up tomorrow!

Sydney has called him percy and is quite excited for tomorrow.

Caz xxx

buttonmoon said:
i read the title to this post and have to admit i thought you were talking about a whole different rabbit!! :o :wink2:
x
lmfao........your not the only one......... :smack:
glad i'm not the only dirty bint on here :lol:

Hi Caz, have a look at this website! www.centralpets.com It has information & photos on all sorts of animals including rabbits and the general care of and temperaments of the different breeds. You should be able to find what you're looking for on there! One thing i will say about having both rabbits & guinea pigs is that if they are not handled regularly by different members of the family whilst they are babies & upwards is they can develop behavioral problems such as nipping & kicking. Actually this is probably true with most animals that live in cages. In the past i have had rabbits & guinea pigs. The first rabbits we had like yours also grew massive! Outgrew their cage, & were more like small dogs than anything. We sent them with some friends of ours who owned acres of land that could accommadate them. There are pros & cons to owning each: some people say because guinea pigs are much faster than rabbits, they are less easy to catch for a child & then the problem occurs with them not being as tame as they should be because the child loses interest if they can't catch them. In my experience neither the rabbit or guinea pig is nicer in temperament than the other. I guess we got lucky with ours. My guinea pig was really entertaining because whenever you would go out by her cage she would start up with her squeaking!

You can go to nearly any pet shop near you & buy a rabbit but if you want a guaranteed good tempered rabbit then a breeder would probably be a better option.

Also one last thing (i promise!) is that rabbits are very intelligent & like to keep themselves clean so with consistence & patience they can be taught to live inside & to use a cat litter tray! Just put them back in their cages or a pen at night so you don't wake up to find a demolished house!

Sorry if i've gone on a bit!:rolleyes: Lol!

If you want to know any more just pm me!:green:

We have two rabbits, a dutch and a lion head. The lion head is very cute, very fluffy but shy. The dutch is famously friendly, follows us round the garden and comes inside form time to time. They are a doe and a buck but we have had them both done. Rabbits are at the mercy of their hormones and having the op has made them both calmer. We never did breed from them. Anyway if you do get one find a local breeder, breeds like Dutch often have markings that aren't up to show standard but are still lovely pets., plus they will not go through the stress of being in a pet shop.

marijane

LOL SORRY ITS JUST ME WAS IN A RUSH WHEN WROTE HEADING XXX

CAZ XXX

buttonmoon said:
x

Off to pick percy up from breeder he is not coming from a pet shop.

Caz xxx

Latest posts

Back