What should I use next?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel Forbes

Reaction score
Hi, I used to be a hairdresser but not for long and like 25 years ago lol. So I have access to professional products but not up to date on new products and techniques.

I have been coloring my hair for years in the 2n (professional color). Since my hair grows so fast and I have lots of gray hair tks to family genes, I had to lighten up so that roots wouldn't have to be done every 3-4 weeks as it showed a lot.

So I went to a hairdresser, she had to use 2 strippers and my hair lifted maybe 3-4 levels, to a coppery color. She did tone it and gave me an Olaplex treatment. 2 weeks later (yesterday) I decided to take it from there as I couldn't afford another appt. I used Redken 'up to 7' with 30 vol for a bit over 50 minutes and rinced out, and toned with a golden blonde. I know big mistake. Anyway now I'm stuck with golden/orange hair. Since I was doing it by myself I used a highlighting cap so it's not all over but I'd say 70% of my hair. I applied the toner to all the hair to try and blend a bit.

I have conditioned a lot using mostly coconut oil but also protein treatment. What should be my next step? Should I attempt another bleach session or just apply a high-lift toner, if so in either case should I wait? And for toner is there a brand that's better than another? I was looking at my local supplier store Maritime Beauty Supply and they carry Redken, L'Oréal, Tigi, Matrix in the high lift section. Pls and thank you!!

No! Don't apply any more chemicals or the only thing you'll be doing with your hair is picking it up off the floor!!

Balance moisture with protein, too much protein will damage the hair further causing major breakage.

Get your hands on some olaplex 3 or Philip Kingsley Elastisizor, use once a week, you'll pay about £30 for a small tub from a certified supplier but worth every penny.

If funds are tight, book yourself into a local college or training centre, students need colour correction in their units. You'll pay minimal costs.

No! Don't apply any more chemicals or the only thing you'll be doing with your hair is picking it up off the floor!!

Balance moisture with protein, too much protein will damage the hair further causing major breakage.

Get your hands on some olaplex 3 or Philip Kingsley Elastisizor, use once a week, you'll pay about £30 for a small tub from a certified supplier but worth every penny.

If funds are tight, book yourself into a local college or training centre, students need colour correction in their units. You'll pay minimal costs.
Thanks so much for your reply, much appreciated

Latest posts

Back