What system for paper thin nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuttifroot

Reaction score
Hi what system would you use for splitting v thin nails?

I've broken my wrist (hit by a taxi crossing a pelican crossing!) and can't do my own nails anymore never mind clients *cry
(just bought in loads more Gelish colours and fibreglass training too)

My own nails need doing as I can't do them. They've always been v thin weak and split at sides, I have to have something on them. Just want them short with a overlay. Any suggestion as to what system?

Where I live there's salons mostly who offer acrylics and shellac bars and 1 place that does hard gel. 1 woman who does bio sculpture.

Really need my nails doing as my nails are so sharp and thin when they split, I find myself in my sleep scratching my eczema.

I find gel even with sculpting gel gelish isn't strong enough. Gelish and silk or fibreglass wrap works well if applied well, but haven't found anyone in my area that does Gelish, also worried I've become sensitive to gelish as developed eczema on hands.

So Thought I'd try something else just to add some strength, make the free edge more thicker and less sharp so no scratching. Get my hands better whilst my bones heal.

Was thinking of L&p because I imagine the salons I've been to over years weren't actually offering the safe stuff but mma. Would proper L&p be kinder on my nails than the stuff I've tried which was probably mma? It's put me off acrylics but maybe I shouldn't be.

Argh. Can't wait for bones to heal!
Can you use silk wraps with Sally Hanson ? hehe maybe I should just do that ;)

Any suggestions appreciated.thank you sorry for one handed rant xx

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to hear about your wrist!! Regarding your Eczema try to keep your skin moisturised with a good eczema cream e45 etc, also dry hands thoroughly whenever you wash them, I suffer from occasional eczema on my hand whenever I eat anything wheat related or do not dry them enough. I am not entirely sure if anyone would want to do a nail service on you at mo as your break is so new. Imagine them trying to turn your hand etc ouch! Keep your nails really short with no ragged edge and maybe a nice polish with base coat and top coat just to add a little strength as this alone is 3 layers of products. Then after a few weeks when the pain has subsided see if there is anyone on here who lives close by that can do a treatment for you . Hope you heal quickly hun x

For these types of nails I love working with Bio Sculpture Gel. I'd layer the nails with Silk for strength & then apply the gel. This gel soaks off & doesnt damage the nails. The nails are able to grow up nicely beneath the gel....

do you use resin for the silk first (as in fibreglass ) or ordinary nail glue just enquriing as i like using silk

I agree I'd be very concerned working on your nails as to do enhancements requires you to move your hand round a lot sometimes for the tech to be able to work at the right angle. How supported is your wrist? Xx

Try Aveeno hand cream with colloidal oatmeal in it. It puts a barrier on your hands that doesn't come off even when you wash them for your ezema

Regarding your ezcema...I suffer from it too, scratching myself in my sleep causing cuts etc.....however whenever I have extensions on acrylic or gel then I find I can scratch but it doesn't damage my skin xx

Not a nail geek yet, but why don't you use mousturiser and gloves at night. That way your not likely to scratch yourself in sleep.

Latest posts

Back