What to do when you're ill and mobile..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rapunzelxx

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I just wanted to ask how the mobile geeks deal with having to cancel clients due to illness? I was supposed to do a perm last night but cancelled due to illness and rearranged for tonight, however I am still in no fit state to do it. How do I cancel again whilst trying to ensure the lady doesn't go elsewhere? A have some £10 gift vouchers at the moment, would you offer one as a token gesture or is it too much?
She is a new client but the mother of a lady who I have done one time before it's blooming typical :-(

Hi peeps,

I just wanted to ask how the mobile geeks deal with having to cancel clients due to illness? I was supposed to do a perm last night but cancelled due to illness and rearranged for tonight, however I am still in no fit state to do it. How do I cancel again whilst trying to ensure the lady doesn't go elsewhere? A have some £10 gift vouchers at the moment, would you offer one as a token gesture or is it too much?
She is a new client but the mother of a lady who I have done one time before it's blooming typical :-(

Tricky one you probably shouldn't of booked it for the very next day just in case this happens x
I would probably explain to her your still ill and yes I would offer the voucher, it's worth it to keep client happy and keep coming back x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

This is always a problem when you are mobile/working for yourself. As Lou says, probably best if your client had rebooked after a week so that you could get properly better and I think offering vouchers is a good gesture - it shows commitment on your part. On the whole though, I think clients understand that we can get ill and if they are loyal they will accept this - after all you could go into a salon to find your hairdresser/therapist is ill too and you would probably rebook.

I've had this problem too and offered a discount as couldn't fit them back in for 3 weeks! The voucher is a good suggestion but I would maybe just offer £5. Everyone gets poorly, it can't be helped. Even offering £5 still shows a good will gesture and that you are genuine xx

Hi peeps,

I never book more than a fortnight in advance now, as used to be booked back to back 6 weeks in advance and being ill stressed me so much, then I had kids, what with school dropping things on you at last minute and in reality with 3 of us to be ill, as its always down to me if kids r ill, this was really the best way to go!

It really works, when we had the snow, anything I can generally fit people in the following week.

I do think you were cutting it fine rebooking for tonight. The voucher is a nice gesture, but clients cancel us due to illness so I'm sure she will understand, just unfortunate it's a new client, always is in these situations isn't it!

Hi just a thought - sorry to invade this thread - with mobile are we entitled to SSP when we are ill? If so, how would we go about claiming this?

Hope your client is understanding!

Paula::)

Hi just a thought - sorry to invade this thread - with mobile are we entitled to SSP when we are ill? If so, how would we go about claiming this?

Yes as long as you.pay your contributions .. Not sure how you would claim it.. Let us know when you find out!!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

I'm not 100% sure on this but SSP is paid by an employer. If you are ill you claim ESA (employment and support allowance).

You can claim some kind of sickness benefit being self employed, but think it's such a hassle, there's a minimum time before they pay you. I was signed off for 2 weeks once, feeling so ill I was in no state to go through the rigmarole involved.

Maybe someone knows for sure?

I think you should apologise profusely for cancelling again but do not think you should offer any discount or voucher.

A heartfelt apology should be enough.

Jacqui xx

I've just had to cancel a reguar lady for the second appointment running and will need to re-arrange. Problem is my daughter has suspected chicken pox and although I'm fine, my client is in a nursing home so I phoned them and explained and they advised not to come in until it's confirmed one way or the other.

I'll do this time what I did last, no discount but I book an extra half hour on her manicure time and give her a really good massage and spend extra time with her. Luckily she's good about it but I have had clients who get very stroppy, even if it's my kids who are sick and I can't get a sitter for them.

You can't help being ill, apologies for the inconvenience not the fact that you're poorly and maybe give her something extra special rather than a discount - dangerous precident to set imho.

When I used to do mobile massage, I had a client I'd seen maybe 3 times. I ended up really sick, nearly died, in hospital for 10 days which coincided with an appointment of hers.

I'd asked my sister to ring her to tell her I was in hospital but she forgot so the day of the appointment the lady rang me to see where I was. I got the message the next day and rang her straight away and told her I was in hospital and had asked my sister to ring her but she'd forgotten.

Not at all sympathetic and lost her as a client. Not that I was that bothered. I figure if someone is ****ty at you that you're in hospital and nearly died than they're not worth having as a client.

Ive been off sick this week and had to cancel a fair few people, one got stroppy and ive got to say although this may be the wrong attitude, i dont need customers like that, i have never had to cancel her in the 3/4 years ive been treating her, when she has messed me around ive always been understanding, i gave her my friends number who was available to treat her that day aswell which i didnt have to do.
Every other client of mine was genuinely concerned and lovely about it as they know im not one to cancel, even the 2 who were going on holiday.
I think the type of customers you want in your business will understand and be loyal to you (one of my clients even said that to me-bless) it works both ways afterall everyone gets poorly.
I think the poster (sorry forgot to look at your name) who said about spending a little more time with her next time you see her is a really good idea.
Dont stress about it though she would rather have a decent treatment with you when you are feeling 100% im sure x

Latest posts

Back