What to recommend for a nurse?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelu

Reaction score
A friend of mine is a nurse and has to wash her hands many many times a day. consequently her nails are quite bendy and thin. The skin around her nails is a bit red and sore. She has hangnails. I've sent her some solar oil but wondered what else I could recommend bearing in mind she's a nurse and can't wear product on her nails. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hemp hand cream from the bodyshop is great x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Cuticle Eraser, Solar Oil and a hydrating hand cream.

I'm a midwife and RN, I agree with the moisturiser comments plus also suggest buffing with a shiner to keep the nail smooth. Bacteria will sit in any grooves, ridges or splits so keeping the nail nice and smooth is bound to help, plus it makes the nails look nice and healthy and adds a natural shine without using a top coat. Thats the reason nail polish is a no go, because if it chips or peels it leaves areas for bacteria to sit and grow.

Once I'm qualified I'm going to add a Nurses Manicure to my price list just because I know first hand all the damage our nails and hands go through using alcohol and antibacterial cleanser constantly. I also think we miss out on treating ourselves to that sort of thing once we can't use polish at work. So I think a good hand and arm massage, moisturiser, cuticles removed, cutlicle oil added, nails shaped, buffed and shined will be a nice pampering and much needed.

Once I'm qualified I'm going to add a Nurses Manicure to my price list just because I know first hand all the damage our nails and hands go through using alcohol and antibacterial cleanser constantly. I also think we miss out on treating ourselves to that sort of thing once we can't use polish at work. So I think a good hand and arm massage, moisturiser, cuticles removed, cutlicle oil added, nails shaped, buffed and shined will be a nice pampering and much needed.

Lovely idea!

I recommend Leighton Denny. He has his own website, you can purchase on QVC or at M&S.

To start with:
1) Crystal nail file - For all nail types. With the Crystal files you can file back and forth unlike standard emery boards. The surface of the file comes with a life-time guarentee. Its unique surface seals the ends of the nails and helps with peeling and splitting.
2) Renovate 10ml - An intense & cosmetically therapeutic nail cream that protects, hydrates and helps to strengthen and support the nail and as well exfoliate with real diamond particles. The Duplex buffer smooths, shines and seals the nail surface to help reduce and discourage nail flaking and splitting. Ideal for weak, flaking, ridged, dull, dry, hard working and ageing nails. Renovate is also an excellent cuticle moisturiser and protector.

I always recommend that people use a plastic bag (maybe a large food bag), like we would when doing a heated mask. Apply a hand cream/oil and cover with the bag and watch TV. For feet I suggest they also cover the bag with socks and leave over night. It works wonders!

I also cannot wear any product on my nails and the constant abuse from disinfectant and constant washing takes its toll. You cant use moisturiser during the day but I use Lipikar by La Roche Posay as a cream at night and also have found Mavalas nail oil and treatments to be very good for my poor old nails.

Solar oil all the way! I have eczema and nothing has helped my hands more. I put a dropper full and rub it all over my hands and fingertips. Even smooth some on my lips while I'm at it.

Hemp hand cream from the bodyshop is great x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app
I used it a few years ago and it was great, but that smell... :sad:

There is a company that makes hand creams for nurses & anyone else who washes their hands a lot. I received one in a beauty box a while ago & I have gone on to repurchase them as I noticed my hands were not as dry or painful as they sometimes are from washing my hands a lot from using it before & after my other daytime job as a MDSA. The company is called Yes Nurse. You can buy a one off hand cream, a two pack or a monthly subscription.

Jenny x

There is a company that makes hand creams for nurses & anyone else who washes their hands a lot. I received one in a beauty box a while ago & I have gone on to repurchase them as I noticed my hands were not as dry or painful as they sometimes are from washing my hands a lot from using it before & after my other daytime job as a MDSA. The company is called Yes Nurse. You can buy a one off hand cream, a two pack or a monthly subscription.

Jenny x

What a good idea! Will have a look for that. Thanks.

What a good idea! Will have a look for that. Thanks.

You're welcome. :)

There is also something called "silicone glove cream" - of all places, it's by AVON. it was specifically made to leave a protective layer through wash after wash.
My father got it once as a sample and the difference was amazing, He kept it for years at the office (he was a surgeon) and his hands were so much better.
Of course there is lotions/oils/etc, but he couldn't always use that because he couldn't risk anything slipping.

Latest posts

Back