What vol to use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby2018x

Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone can help I'm new to hairdressing and I was wondering it someone could help me here.
I have a client who there hairdresser has previously retired but gave her all the colours she used on her hair, she has grey roots coming through. Her hair is bleached she also has 2 different colours. her previous hairdresser said she only used 10 vol bleach, my client has told me that she did used to over lap the bleach. I'm worried if I do this it will damage her hair? Will damage if only using 10 vol?? Any help please. Thanks [emoji847] xx

Hi, hoping someone can help I'm new to hairdressing and I was wondering it someone could help me here.
I have a client who there hairdresser has previously retired but gave her all the colours she used on her hair, she has grey roots coming through. Her hair is bleached she also has 2 different colours. her previous hairdresser said she only used 10 vol bleach, my client has told me that she did used to over lap the bleach. I'm worried if I do this it will damage her hair? Will damage if only using 10 vol?? Any help please. Thanks [emoji847] xx

10 vol should be fine xx

Would the roots be alot light than the ends?? Xx

What’s the technique your using?? xx
Half head of foils parting it into 6 sections, 1:1 using matrix 507n and10 vol bleach I was going to cover the root then maybe just smudge the ends and not saturate the ends ? Xx

Half head of foils parting it into 6 sections, 1:1 using matrix 507n and10 vol bleach I was going to cover the root then maybe just smudge the ends and not saturate the ends ? Xx

yeah just take through to the ends where you think it needs it xx

yeah just take through to the ends where you think it needs it xx
Thank you for your help [emoji16] not long been into the industry and still training I do wonder if I'm ever going to get the hang of it lol! Xx

Thank you for your help [emoji16] not long been into the industry and still training I do wonder if I'm ever going to get the hang of it lol! Xx

I feel the exact same and i’ve been qualified for 4 years. I’m sure you’ll do absolutely fine xx

Do you still feel like that now? I think it all comes with experience doesn't it xx

10 vol is very gentle, you should be fine. As you're going through the sections, just take a second to look at it and see what you think it needs. Can you just get away with doing the root of that section?, Or has it lost its depth and needs colour right through on that section? Or is that section clean enough, would it be better to take the bleach and 10vol all the way through. Tgat way you can't go wrong. Use your better judgement! You've got this!

10 vol is very gentle, you should be fine. As you're going through the sections, just take a second to look at it and see what you think it needs. Can you just get away with doing the root of that section?, Or has it lost its depth and needs colour right through on that section? Or is that section clean enough, would it be better to take the bleach and 10vol all the way through. Tgat way you can't go wrong. Use your better judgement! You've got this!
Thank you for your reply! I'm just worried the roots aren't going to match the ends I literally have zero confidence in myself haha, it will come in time I expect! Xx

We were always taught to use 20vol on gray hair as the cuticles need opening up more as they can be more resistant but If it’s lifting okay with what you have then just use 10vol

We were always taught to use 20vol on gray hair as the cuticles need opening up more as they can be more resistant but If it’s lifting okay with what you have then just use 10vol
Well this is what I've always been told by my tutor to, but she said her hairdresser uses 10vol so it must lift for her to be using it all this time? X

Well this is what I've always been told by my tutor to, but she said her hairdresser uses 10vol so it must lift for her to be using it all this time? X
I don't always use higher % developmer on grey hair, only if I'm doing a permanent tint. If I'm highlighting, I tend to use a low developer and bleach anyway

I don't always use higher % developmer on grey hair, only if I'm doing a permanent tint. If I'm highlighting, I tend to use a low developer and bleach anyway
If your doing a present tint what developer would you use on grey/white hair? Xx

If your doing a present tint what developer would you use on grey/white hair? Xx
A permanent tint on hair 30% grey or above then I'd use 6%

Latest posts

Back