What would be your ideal forename?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bekster123

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Just wondered how many of you are happy with your forename that you were given.

Do you look/suit your name?

What would you like to change it to if you don't?

Is there a story behind your name as to why you were given it?

I was christened Rebecca & although i don't dislike it, i much prefer being called Becki, Bek, Becca etc. I find Rebecca a bit posh & im nothing like that :biggrin:

My mum used to call me Rebecca when i had been a bad girly!! lol

Well I am Joanne, which I dont mind, but like you my mum always called me by my full name if I was in trouble lol.
I dont mind being called Joanne or Jo but actually I like Joey :o it started off as a bit of a pet name but it I think it suits my personality :)

Hiya!

My whole name is Samantha. I didnt like it when i was younger because my middle name is Jayne and some kids at school called me posh and made fun of me, but now i like it. I prefer Sam though.
My mum once told me she named me after Samantha the witch in Bewitched and i believed her for ages! But i brought it up a while later and she said she forgot she said it and only did it to wind me up! She said the real reason was because she liked it and it wasnt popular at the time. x

My mother decided on Paola for me as she is Italian but my dad for his own reasons decided he preferred Paula so that's what he continues to call me to this day in spite of me being officially called Paola!

For years I really detested it as no-one could ever pronounce it right and also I hated that it was a bit different when I was young. Kids being what they are loved to say it was because my parent's couldnt spell when they put it on the birth certificate - they really did use to believe an "o" was put in instead of a "u" by mistake!

Strangely enough, on the telephone sometimes to strangers, I'll say "It's Paola speaking" and they follow with "okay then Pamela" :rolleyes: ...go figure!

I'm quite happy with it now but it still baffles me that my dad stuck to his guns and will absolutely not call me Paola - it is the subject of much bemusement in our circle!

I hated my name as a kid too .... Gloria! :mad:
All the little kids either called me Groria ... or Gworwia!
Everyone in my class was a Sharon, Tracy, or Karen.
When the register was called I would squirm on a daily basis, I hated being diff!
I prefer to be called Glo ... and there is a bit of a naff story behind that...
I could talk the hairs off a brass donkey even as a kid, so my despairing teacher sat me by a boy in class to shut me up, his name ... Sidney Grub (soz if youre out there Sid). We became a bit of a double act much to my teachers dismay, and were effectionately known as Grub & Gloworm!
.... told you it was naff :o

i hate my name with a passion, i am the but of many jokes as my name is tracy and i come form essex:eek: , i dont mind being tracy, i dont mind being from essex but when they are both put together it gives everyone a good laugh, i no longer live in essex and that makes things worse, as a kid i wanted my name to be terri-amelia,

Glorsclaws said:
When the register was called I would squirm on a daily basis, I hated being diff!

I don't think anybody's ever happy, I hated being called Claire because there were 5 in my year alone, and I only went to a very small school. And everybody always got the spelling wrong i.e Clare or Clair. My friend affectionately calls me Claire With The Hair as my hair is way down past my bum and he gives me the full title every time!!

I would have loved to have a more unusual name, when I was small I used to drive my Mum mad by refusing to answer to Claire because it was too boring... One week I was Annmarie, the next Sophie etc etc.... And boring is SO not me!! lol.

As a child I hated my full name Elizabeth and wanted to be a Rachel - although I can't remember why Rachel!!:confused:

My family used to call me lizzy when I was younger and I hated it, but now I'm older and my boyfriend calls me that it seems quite sweet (coming from him!!)

L x

I've never had a problem with my name i've always liked it. My full name is Emma Joanne, so as i kid i was always Emma Jo, i though it was cool cause it sounded like something off The Waltons - glad i've grown out of it now though!!!

My name is Linda and i like it! (mind you i always liked Scarlett, from Gone With The Wind!) When i was in trouble when i was younger my mum used to shout Linda Clare (my middle name) then i knew i was in for it. It was my surname i always hated it, it was Foggin and i'm from Tyne and Wear. When i lived down south the lads used to sing 'Foggin on the Tyne is all mine, all mine'!!!!! Now i'm married and its Hillier, much better! :biggrin:

Shaking Stevens put me off my name when I was a kid - Julie!

Need I say more!!

my name is lisa

wonder what you all think i would look like- being a lisa n all

go on, have a guess
xxx

Hmm, My name is ok but, because I have a weird spelling, everyone gets it wrong! I hated it when I was young.

I'm Sarah Elizabeth which I love, my mum wnated me to be Elizabeth and often calls me it, very confusing cos my eldest is Elizabeth too (shortened to Beth by everyone but me!).

But Glo I so know where you are coming from about the register bit, my maiden name was Holliday and boy did I get the mick taken, plus I wore glasses (still do) and was born in Malta, so between Hoho, four eyes and malteser I don't think I was called Sarah much at school! Also I don't think I was ever in a class where there wasnt another Sarah, at one time I was in a class with 5 of us, nightmare!

Some of the names people call their children now are unreal though, I'm a traditionalist on the whole and like the good old fashioned names.

My first name is Anna-Maria, although hardly anyone knows that as I just tell everyone that it's Anna. The reason being that whenever I used to say my full name I would get called Anne-Marie or Anna-Marie and THAT'S NOT MY NAME!!!! ......Sorry got a bit carried away.....

Anyway, so I am Anna-Maria Raposo, despite being born in essex i have a portuguese name as my dad is portuguese. And, yes, like most others here I only get called Anna-Maria by my parents and it's usually when they are shouting....LOL

mine as you know is joanne, and i really like it i get called jo or joanne by rob if i have spent too much money.
but i get called cliffey(maiden name - cliffe) or sister of cliffey (3 of them)
scince moving back to southport thats what old school pals know me as and still call me, which is strange hearing it again after so long

My full name is Victoria, but only my Mum ever calls me that! I prefer Vicki, but get annoyed when people spell it wrong, but as long as it's nice, I don't mind what my friends call me (or anyone else for that matter). I like my name, and even if I was given the chance wouldn't change it (Ahhhhh!)

Lucia, that's not a name, it's a telephone directory!!

Well I like being Lesley although my parents spelt it Leslie on my birth certificate, So most people think I should be male lol
My nickname as been Lell all my life and I love it :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back